Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 AM

38 posts, read 76,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That station does not connect with Penn Station as the 123 and ACE do so I don't use it but I'm shocked that they would neglect it because many tourist I'm sure utilize that station.
The plan to build a large office building where the Hotel Pennsylvania sits includes a reopening of a long-closed tunnel between Penn Station and the Herald Square subway station/33rd St. PATH station. This will be a significant improvement in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,754,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmet View Post
The plan to build a large office building where the Hotel Pennsylvania sits includes a reopening of a long-closed tunnel between Penn Station and the Herald Square subway station/33rd St. PATH station. This will be a significant improvement in the area.

Smart idea because once I'm underground I don't like to get out of the system until I've reached my final destination. I'm sure many straphangers feel the same way.

BTW concerning your previous post to another poster. I agree, many Islanders are very provencial and once out of their element notice one negative thing and it becomes the biggest representation of the area. Another poster made some silly comment that implied tourist do not come to NYC to see its people because its made up of homeless, panhandlers and beggars. Well what about the scores of people who created the great buildings, buisness, parks and complex society that is New York. It's sad and compansionless that people would only concern themselves with the few bums that roam the streets.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,218,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well I once filmed a packed train on Halloween back in 2008, people were standing yet they had cars closed off so some off-duty crew could get some alone time.
I still havent heard the end of it. I still get belittled over the video by various crew and sometimes even threatened "I Better not see that camera".
Apparently they hate me because the crew of that train got in trouble. What, they think its OK to close off a car for themselves when fare paying riders have to stand?
Because of the video, the practice of closing off cars on crowded trains doesnt happen anymore.
Screw them. If they are not doing anything wrong, then the camera should be no problem.

I used to think they closed off cars just because they were too lazy to walk through them all. Didn't know they used them as private lounges too.

One non-rush hour train I sometimes take meets a Montauk-bound train at Jamaica and when it is crowded with tourists I noticed that the ticket punchers don't even come through and it's not like there are even people standing in the aisles actually blocking their progress either. It's just all seats filled and a few standing near the doors. That's how lazy they are.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,726,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Screw them. If they are not doing anything wrong, then the camera should be no problem.

I used to think they closed off cars just because they were too lazy to walk through them all. Didn't know they used them as private lounges too.

One non-rush hour train I sometimes take meets a Montauk-bound train at Jamaica and when it is crowded with tourists I noticed that the ticket punchers don't even come through and it's not like there are even people standing in the aisles actually blocking their progress either. It's just all seats filled and a few standing near the doors. That's how lazy they are.
Welcome back! I_Love

Here's the vid Johninwestbury was referring to. As if it's not enough many conductors earn ridiculous salaries w. lavish benefits that would make a Wall street banker blush, they use entire cars as their personal lounges. I'm scared to think what they and their union do behind closed doors.. ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOTadRHiUSc

Old 11-27-2010, 02:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,218,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Welcome back! I_Love

Here's the vid Johninwestbury was referring to. As if it's not enough many conductors earn ridiculous salaries w. lavish benefits that would make a Wall street banker blush, they use entire cars as their personal lounges. I'm scared to think what they and their union do behind closed doors.. ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOTadRHiUSc
Thank you!

This is great! I just watched JIW's video on Mangano and LI Bus and he said that Mangano actually had an "investigation" done on JIW. Keep yanking their chains, JIW!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,793,046 times
Pequaman-
Quote:
Welcome back! I_Love
I second that emotion...
I haven't toured the garden recently but that's only because I knew that lately, the rose hasn't been in bloom.

Yes, welcome back.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Hey! I miss you. Where have you've been?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Welcome back! I_Love

LOL! looks like the only one that was upset was John and they still close off cars especially the double decker cars. Recently I had to run to the 8th car in a 10 car Ronkonkoma bound train. I usually park my car on the western end so I get in at the western most car. Also less of the Brentwood/CI crowd in those cars but you do get the Wyandanch hoods.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,236,082 times
So sorry, but one is not subjected to a foul stench simply by standing on an LIRR platform, like one does in the subway, particularly in the summer. That right there gives the win to the LIRR. Have a nice day!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
So sorry, but one is not subjected to a foul stench simply by standing on an LIRR platform, like one does in the subway, particularly in the summer. That right there gives the win to the LIRR. Have a nice day!
[mod cut: personal attack]
To be fair comparing a subway system to a suburban rail system is like comparing apples to oranges. A better comparison is comparing the
LIRR to MNRR or NJT. Those other two systems win hands down.

Last edited by observer53; 11-29-2010 at 06:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island