Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 3,207,767 times

Advertisements

We had some vinyl siding work done recently and the contractor cut the phone lines coming from the network interface on the side of the house. The phone lines were dead, so he called a friend, who spliced the wires together. However, some of the phone jacks are inside the house are still not "live".
We then agreed to hold back full payment until this is resolved.
Cablevision (our phone/internet provider) came by to take a look ,but said it wasn't their problem (they were nice about that) and could not fix it.
Does anyone know who maintains phone lines outside the house in Commack area? Would I call Verizon even though Cablevision is my phone/internet provider? Or do I have to call an independent contractor?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 AM

15 posts, read 15,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
We had some vinyl siding work done recently and the contractor cut the phone lines coming from the network interface on the side of the house. The phone lines were dead, so he called a friend, who spliced the wires together. However, some of the phone jacks are inside the house are still not "live".
We then agreed to hold back full payment until this is resolved.
Cablevision (our phone/internet provider) came by to take a look ,but said it wasn't their problem (they were nice about that) and could not fix it.
Does anyone know who maintains phone lines outside the house in Commack area? Would I call Verizon even though Cablevision is my phone/internet provider? Or do I have to call an independent contractor?
Thanks in advance
Seeing as Cablevision is your provider, I assume you have a cable modem feeding your phones. If that's the case, your interface should not even be a factor. In fact, when you got CV installed, they should have disconnected verizon from the interface to prevent CV's phone from backfeeding their system. More likely, your problem is that some of your in house connections were cut either near the interface, or elsewhere on the house. Some electricians or maybe the prior homeowner may have run lines outside the house because it's easier. That would wreck the continuity of your lines and cause some not to work. CV is right, it is your responsibility. I would call an electrician and have the bill deducted from your siding balance.

The good news is, depending on your home phone setup, you may not even need some of those lines. Hardline copper is a thing of the past with the advent of VoIP. I have FiOS myself, and just one phone jack is all I really need. I split it for my fax machine and have wireless system with 4 phones. I disconnected and removed any other jacks in my house. If this works for you, it's a good practice to have one extra line (you can split at the source) for a regular old telephone that doesn't rely on electricity (like a cordless does) in case there's a power outage. Of course, with CV as your provider, you'd also need a battery backup for your modem.

Phone lines are relatively easy to run. Call an electrician, not Verizon. You aren't a customer of theirs so they will rape you. The siding company really should send one to you. It's a common issue and a good siding company should have someone for this. It's quite possible that one cut wire somewhere is causing the problem. If you can find it and splice it, easy fix. Don't focus on the interface so much, especially if those wires were respliced (were they spliced correctly is another question...).... the cut wire could be anywhere work was done. Good luck.

Last edited by captkaos10; 11-25-2010 at 02:53 AM..

Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 AM

516 posts, read 1,065,497 times
Many times cablevision will disconnect Verizons line at the interface so it does not feed back into the verizon line. they will then plug the cable modem into an existing jack so it back feeds all your jacks. The old verizon interface just becomes a junction box for all your jack wiring. Not the right way to do it in my opinion but it works.

Find someone who can install a proper junction inside the house, bring all the jack wiring to it and then run the feed to the cable modem. In the mean time take all the wires that are now exiting the house and splice them together all reds to reds, all greens to greens and it should work, If you have 2 phone numbers you will also need to do the same with the yellows and blacks.

If you have a mix of old wiring red-green-yellow-black and new wiring blue with white stripe- orange with white stripe etc better get someone who knows what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island