Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,721,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
When I wrote, "Massapequa is separated from the Village of Amityville and the Hamlet of North Amityville by the Village of Massapequa Park and the Hamlet of East Massapequa." I was pointing out that there are two communities (the Village of Massapequa Park and the Hamlet of East Massapequa) between the Hamlet of Massapequa and the Village of Amityville/Hamlet of North Amityville.
Oh I see, I interpreted that wrong. Changed "actually" to "also".

One other note to the OP, refer to the links Walter Greenspan posted for CDP & SD of the listing and use the "map property" feature in MLSLI. Most real estate sites (like MLSLI) will not differentiate between Massapequa, North Massapequa & East Massapequa.. They will just say "Massapequa".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 02:33 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,749,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lito View Post
We are looking to buy our second house (are temporarily with family while we look) and I am curious about what other people think about the difference between these 2 towns. We really want Wantagh, but I've seen a few homes in Massapequa that are really nice (and I know that there are areas that are absolutely gorgeous)....my thouht is that Massapequa is nice but really big. People keep telling me that these two towns are pretty similar (in terms of schools, etc...) Thoughts?

They really are no different. All the towns from Merrick to Massapequa all look the same like their rail stops. They blend into each other. You really can't tell where one ends and the other begins. So spin around and pick or figure which one is closes to your job. It's all the same stuff. Its not like choosing between diverse areas like Fort Salonga or Hauppauge or say Garden City or Roslyn or well to do Kings Point or Sands Point.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
They really are no different. All the towns from Merrick to Massapequa all look the same like their rail stops. They blend into each other. You really can't tell where one ends and the other begins. So spin around and pick or figure which one is closes to your job. It's all the same stuff. Its not like choosing between diverse areas like Fort Salonga or Hauppauge or say Garden City or Roslyn or well to do Kings Point or Sands Point.
If you're not from around this area, you prob can't tell. But I can certainly tell the difference btwn Wantagh and Massapequa. I can even tell the difference between north vs south of Sunrise in the same hamlet/village. Just because they are mostly white, does not mean they are not diverse. There's a good mix of folks and cultures here:EyeTalian, Irish, German, Polish, Greek, Jewish, Russian, Latino, Albanian etc..

I posted some of the many differences in a previous post:

A few of the differences:
-Basements are pretty much non-existant in Wantagh.
-Better housing stock available in the Pequa's (lots of $million dollar (many on the water) + houses south of Merrick Rd-- the areas of Old Harbor Green, Biltmore Shores, south of Merrick rd in the Village of Massapequa Park, Nassau Shores (south of Merrick in East Massapequa).
-Massapequa Preserve w. a beautiful scenic bike trail that goes all the way up to farmingdale.

I'll add that there's a lot more trees as you go toward Massapequa and traffic is a little lighter than the rest of the Riviera.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
If you're not from around this area, you prob can't tell. But I can certainly tell the difference btwn Wantagh and Massapequa. I can even tell the difference between north vs south of Sunrise in the same hamlet/village. Just because they are mostly white, does not mean they are not diverse. There's a good mix of folks and cultures here:EyeTalian, Irish, German, Polish, Greek, Jewish, Russian, Latino, Albanian etc..

I posted some of the many differences in a previous post:

A few of the differences:
-Basements are pretty much non-existant in Wantagh.
-Better housing stock available in the Pequa's (lots of $million dollar (many on the water) + houses south of Merrick Rd-- the areas of Old Harbor Green, Biltmore Shores, south of Merrick rd in the Village of Massapequa Park, Nassau Shores (south of Merrick in East Massapequa).
-Massapequa Preserve w. a beautiful scenic bike trail that goes all the way up to farmingdale.
I'll add that there's a lot more trees as you go toward Massapequa and traffic is a little lighter than the rest of the Riviera.
Sounds a bit bias to me Pequa but I will agree that you have to live in the area to notice the differences. It's not like towns such as Huntington, Garden City, Munsey Park or Port Jefferson where a visitor will notice the diversity in the housing stock and neighborhoods (i wasn't talking about racial makeup or ethnicity). Only someone who lives in the Riviera can notice the difference between the split level that is next door to the split level across the street. Or the Colonial he lives in compared to the Colonial 2 houses away.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Sounds a bit bias to me Pequa but I will agree that you have to live in the area to notice the differences. (i wasn't talking about racial makeup or ethnicity). Only someone who lives in the Riviera can notice the difference between the split level that is next door to the split level across the street. Or the Colonial he lives in compared to the Colonial 2 houses away.
Not bias, informed. It's "bias" when someone doesn't know the area yet interjects misinformation into a thread. I'm so used to the "diversity cards" whizzing by peoples heads here that I took it as the "area is too white" card.
Some of the other differences between "the Riviera" towns is Massapequa properties are normally 60x100, 80x100 & 100x100, whereas the other towns are mostly 40x100's. Merrick, Bellmore & Seaford have lots of capes (many in Seaford by Sunrise hwy are actually huge irregular properties due to messed up zoning (you will find many 50x200's!)

Wantagh also has LOADS of Levitt style capes w/no basements. You will not find these Levitts in the Pequas. You will find a mix of victorians, colonials, ranches, splits, high ranches, few capes, expanded ranches, some contemporaries etc.. it's plenty diverse and as stated Massapequa/Mass Park have bigger properties.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-29-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Not bias, informed. It's bias when someone doesn't know the area yet interjects misinformation into a thread. I'm so used to the "diversity cards" whizzing by peoples heads here that I took it as the "area is too white" card.
Some of the other differences between "the Riviera" towns is Massapequa properties are normally 60x100, 80x100 & 100x100, whereas the other towns are mostly 40x100's. Seaford has lots of capes (many by Sunrise hwy are actually huge irregular properties due to messed up zoning (you will find many 50x200's!)

Wantagh also has LOADS of Levitt style capes w/no basements. You will not find these Levitts in the Pequas. You will find a mix of victorians, colonials, ranches, splits, high ranches, few capes, expanded ranches, some contemporaries etc.. it's plenty diverse and as stated Massapequa/Mass Park has bigger properties.
Wow! What has brought on this nice demeanor in your posting? I like it. I do agree that the Pequas have larger properties. I'm not convinced on the housing. Everytime I travel around there I usually see housing developments but you live there so you see the difference. And as you stated only a person who lives in a town can give an informed response for others it's a bias account.

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep bringing up the racial makeup of the town? No one has inquired or mentioned it on this thread except you. Keep the nice demeanor in the response. I'm only asking.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 AM

208 posts, read 910,796 times
Quote:
Not bias, informed. It's "bias" when someone doesn't know the area yet interjects misinformation into a thread. I'm so used to the "diversity cards" whizzing by peoples heads here that I took it as the "area is too white" card.
Some of the other differences between "the Riviera" towns is Massapequa properties are normally 60x100, 80x100 & 100x100, whereas the other towns are mostly 40x100's. Merrick, Bellmore & Seaford have lots of capes (many in Seaford by Sunrise hwy are actually huge irregular properties due to messed up zoning (you will find many 50x200's!)

Wantagh also has LOADS of Levitt style capes w/no basements. You will not find these Levitts in the Pequas. You will find a mix of victorians, colonials, ranches, splits, high ranches, few capes, expanded ranches, some contemporaries etc.. it's plenty diverse and as stated Massapequa/Mass Park have bigger properties.
NORTH WANTAGH has loads of Levitt style capes w/no basements, but actual WANTAGH has loads of houses with basements, from ranches to splits, you name it, in fact, I think the only area in WANTAGH that might not have houses with basements would be the area south of merrick down by the water, but I can't back that up for sure.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,325,928 times
both are good areas especially if you stay in the massaqequa and wantagh schools. I'm from wantagh, just moved within wantagh. I'm biased.

There are nicer and not as nice areas of each. I would say as a south shore guy, I can tell the difference between merrick, bellmore, wantagh and seaford and massapeqa. there are areas that are cookie cutter, but a lot are not. Also, although they may have started off cookie cutter the capes that were built in the 50s in a lot of cases are no longer capes.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post

There are nicer and not as nice areas of each. I would say as a south shore guy, I can tell the difference between merrick, bellmore, wantagh and seaford and massapeqa. there are areas that are cookie cutter, but a lot are not. Also, although they may have started off cookie cutter the capes that were built in the 50s in a lot of cases are no longer capes.
That is the one thing I like about those Levitt like homes. They are very expandable. Many homeowners had the common sense to change the look of the home by adding to it.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Wow! What has brought on this nice demeanor in your posting? I like it. I do agree that the Pequas have larger properties.

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep bringing up the racial makeup of the town?
I brought it up once when you mentioned "not diverse" enough, I thought you were referring to racial diversity..because I know you are BIG on the whole 'pro-racial diversity' craze. It's also relevant to the thread I suppose. What isn't relevant to the thread is why you brought up "Fort salonga and hauppauge" ?? That has nothing to do with the thread topic and some would say it's derailing/hijack attempt of the thread.

to OP: One other difference to note, Massapequa Schools are the powerhouse athletics district on LI..putting out more championship teams than any other district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island