Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 PM

125 posts, read 439,101 times

Advertisements

Please provide your recommendation for the best (reliable, reasonable, etc.) alarm system company in Suffolk County, preferably based on your personal experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM

98 posts, read 772,256 times
the best one is the one you install yourself. I purchased all the equipment and installed everything myself...2 weekends of mild work. Probably overdone it a bit but better safe then sorry. and happier for half the price the big names want to charge you.

ADT and Brinks (Broadview?) wanted less upfront for the system but higher monthly payments, Lowitt (?) was charging more upfront, but their monthly payments were slightly lower....

The company I use to monitor is about $10/mo for just phone line hook up, I believe....GSM service is about $20-$25/mo but more secure and reliable way to keep alarm working no matter what happens with the phone lines.

If you can do it yourself you'll save more, If you know an alarm system installer that will install your system for you - it can work too, just make sure you know who installs it.

The monitoring service is about the same for all companies I've dealt with ADT and Mutual before and there is really no difference in their response time.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 PM

74 posts, read 206,743 times
I had Slomin's do the installation/monitoring. They pretty much install it for free if my memory serves me correct once you sign up for their monitoring. They did a very good job and it costs about $90 every 3 months ($30 a month). What's nice is I also get a discount because I get oil with them as well. As far as the service is concerned, they always send a professional to the house whenever they did a service/installation, and the one time the alarm was tripped, they called the house, then my cell phone, and the police. We found out that the sensor they installed in the basement fell (as we were finishing the basement we had to move the sensor and it somehow fell which made the sensor think someone was in the house). All in all, I'm happy with their service/price.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 PM

148 posts, read 473,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
I had Slomin's do the installation/monitoring. They pretty much install it for free if my memory serves me correct once you sign up for their monitoring. They did a very good job and it costs about $90 every 3 months ($30 a month). What's nice is I also get a discount because I get oil with them as well. As far as the service is concerned, they always send a professional to the house whenever they did a service/installation, and the one time the alarm was tripped, they called the house, then my cell phone, and the police. We found out that the sensor they installed in the basement fell (as we were finishing the basement we had to move the sensor and it somehow fell which made the sensor think someone was in the house). All in all, I'm happy with their service/price.
I have slomins... The contract is for 5 years... If you sell your house before the 5 years are up, tough luck, they still want their money.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 AM

87 posts, read 269,550 times
I've had a very good experience with Marran Oil.

I was able to customize my alarm system and add additional features / equipment for a very reasonable price.

I may have gone overboard, but I do sleep well at night!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 PM

659 posts, read 2,507,010 times
I have Slomin's alarm system and we are very happy with it. We had it installed 5 years ago and no complaints at all. Any time it has went off (which isn't often), Slomin's calls right away.

My parents have ADT and they are very happy with it. The only issue with ADT is that everything is battery powered and the batteries are expensive so my parents have to replace them a bit. Slomins is hardwired so no batteries.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM

1,724 posts, read 4,014,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I have Slomin's alarm system and we are very happy with it. We had it installed 5 years ago and no complaints at all. Any time it has went off (which isn't often), Slomin's calls right away.

My parents have ADT and they are very happy with it. The only issue with ADT is that everything is battery powered and the batteries are expensive so my parents have to replace them a bit. Slomins is hardwired so no batteries.
You can choose to have a completely hardwired system, but it might cost you a lot in additional labor, depending on the layout of your home. The free "systems" usually include the panel, siren, keypad and a couple of doors. Start adding windows and the price will go up.
That being said, I had my system installed by Brinks (now merged with ADT) and have had no problems.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 AM

520 posts, read 1,645,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Casegli View Post
I prefer an alarm company that is local. I have used ADT in the past and they are way overpriced. I use All Island Security now. They are on Long Island. Their prices are great and I am getting much better service for less money. Central station calls back much faster.
Yes, but what about the All island installers that break-in and steal your poodle? That doesn't sound like good service to me. Probably better of not using All Island.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 AM

840 posts, read 2,436,122 times
i agree the local places are better, the standard big companies use crap equipment

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,943,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Casegli View Post
I prefer an alarm company that is local. I have used ADT in the past and they are way overpriced. I use All Island Security now. They are on Long Island. Their prices are great and I am getting much better service for less money. Central station calls back much faster.
Guess what? You're reported for spamming. Happy Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island