Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Manorhaven is a village and Port Washington is a hamlet, and, in NYS, a village can not be part of a hamlet and vice versa.
Isn't Manorhaven part of the greater Port Washington area, Walter? This includes Sands Point. THat's what we were talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I haven't been to Manhasset Village in ages, but Roslyn Village is still lovely as ever. Not on par with Huntington in terms of activities, but there are still some great restaurants/cafes, art house cinema, shopping, etc... It's a nice place to walk around. I'm also fond of Oyster Bay and the tiny village in Locust Valley (best butcher on LI). I love our North Shore villages.
I love them from Great Neck to Greenport. Riverhead has the potential to be the Huntington of the east. Big box stores shopping uptown and downtown make W. Main st a restaurant row and E. Main st. a niche shopping and nightly entertainment area. The two movie houses would be the centerpieces and showcase indie and mainstream art films. This could attract upscale bars and bring back the coffeehouses.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Isn't Manorhaven part of the greater Port Washington area, Walter? This includes Sands Point. THat's what we were talking about.
Yes, if we were talking about the greater Port Washington area that would include the Village of Manorhaven and the Village of Sands Point, as well as all or part of the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Riverhead has the potential to be the Huntington of the east. Big box stores shopping uptown and downtown make W. Main st a restaurant row and E. Main st. a niche shopping and nightly entertainment area. The two movie houses would be the centerpieces and showcase indie and mainstream art films. This could attract upscale bars and bring back the coffeehouses.
I can't see this happening in NY unless we get taxes under control. Speaking of people with connections (family/friends/work) to NYC + Nassau: Why would someone live a grueling 2-3 hour drive away from most of their 'connections', to live in the boon-docks and pay $6k a year in taxes? You could probably find a better QOL & much lower COL w/similar quality schools to RH, in the South...which is a 1.5 to 2 hour flight away.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I can't see this happening in NY unless we get taxes under control. Speaking of people with connections (family/friends/work) to NYC + Nassau: Why would someone live a grueling 2-3 hour drive away from most of their 'connections', to live in the boon-docks and pay $6k a year in taxes? You could probably find a better QOL & much lower COL w/similar quality schools to RH, in the South...which is a 1.5 to 2 hour flight away.
Wow! All I was talking about is that Riverhead has the potential of having a nice downtown like other North Shore communities. I'm not inviting more people to live here. We have enough residents in the Town of Riverhead. We don't need anymore to ruin the rural nature of the town. The people to make this happen would be residents of Riverhead and the surrounding areas. I can see an upscale wine bar featuring LI wines being a hit but downtown Riverhead first needs some focus. It's the gateway to the Forks and with some effort could be the centerpiece as it was in the past.

Last edited by 1nevets; 12-06-2010 at 01:00 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM

175 posts, read 637,974 times
I think Stewart Manor definitely has a village feel...you can walk to shopping from most homes, and there's always special events going on -- for example, this past Saturday we had our tree lighting and there was a horse-drawn carriage giving rides up and down one of the village streets, with hot cocoa and cookies for the kiddies. My children loved it. Floral Park also has a nice little town centre where a lot of teenagers/young adults hang out in nice weather, but not in a troublesome way.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Wow! All I was talking about is that Riverhead has the potential of having a nice downtown like other North Shore communities. I'm not inviting more people to live here. We have enough residents in the Town of Riverhead. We don't need anymore to ruin the rural nature of the town. The people to make this happen would be residents of Riverhead and the surrounding areas. I can see an upscale wine bar featuring LI wines being a hit but downtown Riverhead first needs some focus. It's the gateway to the Forks and with some effort could be the centerpiece as it was in the past.
right, what I mean is it doesn't have the draw of people and wallet$$ to happen. To attract the upscale huntington type biz , TORiverhead needs the aforementioned.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:09 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Further west of Huntington Village (which would be virtually all in Nassau County):

All the below-mentioned areas have bustling downtowns or business/commercial districts that are worth checking out:

1) Garden City (the greater north-south stretch of Franklin Ave., Stewart Ave. & environs . . . all south of Old Country Road)
2) Westbury Village (all along greater Post Ave., going north-to-south from the Northern State Parkway to the LIRR station in Westbury)
3) Greater Westbury - Carle Place – Mineola – Garden City (along greater Old Country Road, entailing the greater Source Mall, Roosevelt Field, and Nassau County governmental complexes area)
4) Hicksville (entailing the north-south road of North Broadway, going south of the Long Island Expressway past the Broadway Mall and other shopping centers and commercial strips, into downtown Hicksville at the big LIRR Station complex, and splitting 3 southbound roads: Newbridge Road, Jerusalem Ave., and south Broadway.
5) Oyster Bay (a somewhat-developed distinct town center)
6) Port Washington (a well-developed town center)
7) Great Neck
8) Roslyn
9) The whole peninsula which includes from west-to-east: Atlantic Beach, East Atlantic Beach, Long Beach, Lido Beach, Point Lookout (but especially Long Beach, which is actually a city rather than a town or village or hamlet)
10) Oceanside
11) Glen Cove (considered to be a city rather than a town or village or hamlet; has a downtown business district)

I love walking and traveling around greater GARDEN CITY/MINEOLA/CARLE PLACE/WESTBURY in general. It must be the most urban part of Long Island (other than Hempstead Village, Roosevelt, and Freeport) yet very kempt, well-maintained, safe, etc. (Hempstead Village and some parts of the greater Hempstead area adjoining the village have very large and bustling commercial districts— perhaps more than any other locale in Long Island —and are even more urban than Garden City but Hempstead Village at-large is known to have a long-standing crime problem).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island