Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I've been using COD for 8 years and counting with a 20 yr old furnance. Yes, I have a a guy who does moonlight on the side to work on my furnance. He is great & have been very reliable. If not, I have a few backups in case. Yes, if I have to pay more for so call emergency calls, the money I saved from COD would MORE than cover it ....and then some.

The drawback with COD is that I measure my oil tank with a oil stick. Honestly, its give me a control & confidence when I need oil & how quickly I am burning it. More times then not, I actually save money. For example, if I do a full fill in January, I am 90% sure I can make it to without another fill for rest of the winter. In my experience, there is a general pattern of getting a better price. I would say right before the first cold spell and summers are usually good prices. fyi, I am a hands on type & it makes me very comfortable to be sort of hands on knowing how things are going

My neighbor who is on contract complains that oil companies fill up whenever they feel like at their schedule. Of course he pays whatever market price which is his biggest gripe. The customers are contractually guarantee XX amount of fills. Of course oil contracts has its own appeal which people here have pointed out.
An oil guy told me the best time to fill up is spring (it's what they have left over from the winter) and at the end of summer, when they stock up but there is little demand.
And I agree about the money saved without a contract. You just need to find a good serviceman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
An oil guy told me the best time to fill up is spring (it's what they have left over from the winter) and at the end of summer, when they stock up but there is little demand.
I looked at codfuel off & on for years. I see little change in the spring. I have noticed it cheap enough in the summer for me make a purchase for most of the winter. The late december isn't too bad too.

I am no oil industry expert but I assume oil #2 can easily transition to diesal fuel with some added addititives. The prices does move according to commodities market to a large degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island