Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I don't know much about Levittown, but all the houses I looked at there 13 years ago had no basements.
Original--Original Levittown homes do NOT come with basements. DUHHHH

Levittown is predominantly white neighborhood. I am just letting you know.

Island Trees School District is also part of Levittown and is a very good school district.

Levittown/Island Trees is home to American Idol--Kevin (chicken little) Covais. LOL

Born and raised there--LOVE IT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,631 times
Thank you so much for all your inputs. I live in the Poet's Corner part of Westbury. I went to see a house in Mienola but I quickly notice the 5-9 Portuguese neighbors in the backyard on a working day so I knew it was not a BBQ. Maybe I will try Carle Place or Wantagh. We are looking to start a family soon and we need at least a 3 bedrooms and a decent elementary school. I found some pretty decent houses in Levittown for around 400k (they need some work but they look solid). Anyway, I will keep looking and I will keep all your comments in mind.

Last edited by NYNewlywed; 07-13-2007 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 10:08 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
F Nassau...Its best days are behind it.

If you work in Suffolk go Sound Beach/Rocky Point

You can do very well Mid 3s out east.

Otherwise just move to E Queens and save yourself the taxes.

C

Old 07-15-2007, 02:18 PM

19 posts, read 75,843 times
Default go for franklin square

i grew up ther and is a great place with everything. i actually learned alot about levittown. it has the highest cancer rate in long island because of all the power lines or somethimg. defiantely check that out, it is a known fact. scares the crap outta me.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i grew up there and is a great place with everything. i actually learned alot about levittown. it has the highest cancer rate in long island because of all the power lines or something. defiantely check that out, it is a known fact. scares the crap outta me.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 PM

Default are u serious about w. hempstead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sange77 View Post
Definitely Levittown. Franklin Sq, is surrounded by Elmont and West. Hempstead both of which are neighborhoods that used to be nice years ago but have changed. Levittown is surrounded by Wantagh, Bethpage, Hicksville, East Meadow...etc. you get my point. all surrounding neighborhoods are good ones. One thing though with Levittown, if taxes are a concern of yours....Levittown School District has one of the highest taxes...I believe the school tax alone is over $8k. You may want to check out the surrounding neighborhoods in Wantagh schools, Plainedge, Massapequa, Bellmore. Good Luck.
Sorry but west hempstead is pretty expensive. i grew up there and my family all lives there. the prices are high. look at the statistics...........
elmont is another story...................

Old 07-15-2007, 06:49 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
West Hempstead is like a tale of two cities. Part of Lakeview is listed as West Hempstead because it is is that postal district although their kids go to Malverne schools. Cathedral Gardens is part of West Hempstead and is nice, as is the area around Maple and Hempstead Ave. which has these beautiful old colonials as well.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 AM

137 posts, read 545,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus5 View Post
Sorry but west hempstead is pretty expensive. i grew up there and my family all lives there. the prices are high. look at the statistics...........elmont is another story...................
I grew up in the area as well. Many of my family and friends are getting out of there too. I agree there are very nice parts still, and very expensive large homes. This person seems like she is looking for a neighborhood with longevity and my personal opinion is that Fr. Sq is not going to cut it 10 years from now. Like you said Elmont is another story, however when I graduated from High School 12 years East Elmont was still a safe neighborhood identicle to what Franklin Sq is today. It still has a lot of great points and a lot of nice families, however, if it's longevity that you are looking for I would cancel that entire area out. I personally love Franklin Square because it's where I grew up. I love going back there, the Italian Deli's, butchers and Pizza, it's close to Queens, you can take a bus to the Subway in Jamaica and travel the Subway rather than the expensive LIRR. Everyone knows everyone. However, I wouldnt buy a home there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Are you sure that you can buy a house in Levittown for under $400k? That sounds very cheap to me.

My in-laws just sold a house there for 385K. It was fairly updated too with a 1/2 dormer and a detached garage, so it's definitley possible.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 PM

15 posts, read 80,974 times
I have heard great thigs about Frankin Square and mixed things about Levittown.. I know a few people that live in Franklin Square and they say nothing but good things about it. Levittown is cheaper, but the school are not top rated. I know a couple that had a nice extended house in Levittown, but had a hard tiime selling it. People seem the pass comments on it that there is alot of "white trash" living there. You have to research and visit each town. You can not pass judgement on the people living there or the surrouding towns until you see for yourself.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 AM

222 posts, read 892,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexusbella32 View Post
I have heard great thigs about Frankin Square and mixed things about Levittown.. I know a few people that live in Franklin Square and they say nothing but good things about it. Levittown is cheaper, but the school are not top rated. I know a couple that had a nice extended house in Levittown, but had a hard tiime selling it. People seem the pass comments on it that there is alot of "white trash" living there. You have to research and visit each town. You can not pass judgement on the people living there or the surrouding towns until you see for yourself.
Okay.

I have another thread about class structure on long island and someone responded w/ what I thought was an accurate description of economic structure based on proximity to northern vs southern state pkwys...

My point is many years ago Levittown's charter expressly excluded people of color and other "minority" groups. What's interesting is that I just drove through there this past Saturday, and in all fairness I can't see any college/graduate educated person of any race wanting to choose to live there. There is no consistency in to the type, style or quality of homes or their construction. I saw cars parked on lawns and numerous rundown or abandoned store fronts. There was some new construction, but it's right next door to the guy who parks his car on his lawn????

I hate to sound elitest, but going to Levittown is no "upgrade" over Franklin Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island