Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM

322 posts, read 937,645 times

Advertisements

To the OP: I don't mean to steal your thread, but I have a side question that may apply to your concern.
How much oil do most people go through during the colder months?
I have an old oil burner (over 30 years old) that is connected to my hot water heater and have steam radiators in my house. I had COD delivery to fill up my (est.) 250 gal tank. It has not even been a month since and I am already down to 5/8 of a tank. I leave the temp at 62 degrees all day and turn it up to 65 at night.
What is the average amount of fill ups one needs to get through the winter? I figured two but at this rate I will need 3-4 until it gets warm again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post
What temperature do you guys set your thermostat at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I leave the temp at 62 degrees all day and turn it up to 65 at night.
If someone is home, then the thermostat is set at 66-68 degrees during the day and 62 degrees when going to sleep.

If no one is home during the day, then the thermostat is set at 62 degrees.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM

65 posts, read 192,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If someone is home, then the thermostat is set at 66-68 degrees during the day and 62 degrees when going to sleep.

If no one is home during the day, then the thermostat is set at 62 degrees.
If I know I'll be out the whole day or not coming home at all, should I just shut off the burner totally? Or, is it better to maintain a certain temperature even no one is at home to prevent pipes from bursting due to ice forming inside?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post
If I know I'll be out the whole day or not coming home at all, should I just shut off the burner totally? Or, is it better to maintain a certain temperature even no one is at home to prevent pipes from bursting due to ice forming inside?
It's generally recommended not to go below 55 degrees. But I'd only do that if I'm not going to be around for a while. Otherwise 62 sounds like a reasonable setting when no one is home or when everyone is asleep.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
It's generally recommended not to go below 55 degrees.
Good advice.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I used this service for years before I converted over to natural gas and it worked out great. Just need to join the NYS PRIG for the $30. morania Oil was fine and the fuel prices were lees than the other services. Highly recommended.
I had thought about joining this before I bought a pellet stove for heat. It's good to know they were a good group.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 PM

176 posts, read 474,674 times
oil will be ridiculous this year, is the only inflationary item out there, as well as some foods. fill up now or pay later.....and to the guy with the fred flinstone oil burner....Come on man, use common sense, who cares how much oil everyone else is using. You are using too much and your inability to update to a more efficient system in the last 15 yrs, is part of the reason why oil is so damn expensive in the first place. I have never owned an oil fueled house and I hope I never do.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM

322 posts, read 937,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
oil will be ridiculous this year, is the only inflationary item out there, as well as some foods. fill up now or pay later.....and to the guy with the fred flinstone oil burner....Come on man, use common sense, who cares how much oil everyone else is using. You are using too much and your inability to update to a more efficient system in the last 15 yrs, is part of the reason why oil is so damn expensive in the first place. I have never owned an oil fueled house and I hope I never do.
@ocabrera7: I just got my house this year and can't afford to update the system right away. And if you never owned an oil-fueled house, why are you even responding? How's that for common sense?

Any chance someoene with knowledge/experience knows how much fuel you go through in the cold months?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
@ocabrera7: I just got my house this year and can't afford to update the system right away. And if you never owned an oil-fueled house, why are you even responding? How's that for common sense?

Any chance someoene with knowledge/experience knows how much fuel you go through in the cold months?
I have 4 zones and usually only 2 zones are on most of the time set to 70. I go through on average about 125 Gallons a month during the winter. If my house had better insulation, it would probably be a lot less.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
67 degrees Nov-Apr...no higher no lower no matter what.
In my home, even looking at the thermostat is second to murder.
I'm burning around 3 gallons a day with showers.

I'm actually going to do the gas/oil hybrid set up in the next month or so.
Gonna cost me about a grand or so in parts, but my labor is free, and I'll be able to switch back and forth depending on what the going rate is. It'll pay itself off in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island