Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times

Advertisements

I think the majority of people ignore, like you, the speed zones near schools. They should suspend people licenses who speed in school zones, PERIOD.

What is your hurry? Honestly, does the extra 10 mph make that big a difference to you or is it just you got the typical Long Island Sense of Entitlement?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Don't worry. LI drivers will just do what they always do and use the shoulder/turning lane to get around. It's LI law.
Left lane on a highway means there is at least one other lane. Signal, change lanes, ZZZZZOOOOOOOOMMMMM!

Oh, sorry, did I just create some oscillation? A little reverberation? Oops. Better than rear-ending some crusty ol' control-freak in a hat. Now he has to move over to the right lane and get off the highway to change his shorts. Win-win!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
LOL I personally have issued over 2,000 moving violations and have arrested probably over 20 drunk drivers over my career.....what have you done?
Best line ever: "Yes, Officer. I understand the left lane is for passing. I was passing them all!"

Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 AM

131 posts, read 300,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I think the majority of people ignore, like you, the speed zones near schools. They should suspend people licenses who speed in school zones, PERIOD.

What is your hurry? Honestly, does the extra 10 mph make that big a difference to you or is it just you got the typical Long Island Sense of Entitlement?
So, you are saying I shouldn't use my brain and realize that if it's 11:00PM and I am driving by a high school, I should just slow down to 15MPH for fear of hitting a kid going to/from school because that's what the DOT says? Once again...that is just a sheep mentality...and the reason why the 15MPH limits are widely ignored (and it is dangerous to go that slow - you will likely get hit in the as*). To be honest, I have never seen anyone under the age of 60 ever obey this limit...and most of those drivers (over 60) should be off of the road

The hurry? - it's just UNCOMFORTABLY slow to go 15MPH near a school when school is not in session...and THERE IS NO POINT TO IT. If the DOT had better equipment, those 15MPH signs would not be posted when school is not in session so, why should time be taken out of my day for an inefficiency on the part of the state. This is not a sense of entitlement - it's just common sense.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Oh yeah because, we all drive exactly the way we were taught in drivers ed....brake at all stop signs - then count to 3 before resuming, use hand signals, obey the 15MPH by schools even on Saturday evenings (which it sounds like you may since you seem to obey the law at all costs without using any logic)

I'm sorry but, posts like these are just unrealistic.

You mean, drive like you need to consider the other people on the road??

Yeah, I do slow down in school zones on weekends, you never know who is in the area. Around here, people bring their kids to the play grounds on the school property on weekends, so are they not good enough to keep an eye out for?

I do brake at all stop signs. They're not "roll through signs" they are "stop signs" -- this is stupid.
I do look around before I continue. That is what the 3 seconds is for, NOT to look like an idiot before driving, but to be aware of your surroundings.
I'm sorry, I wasn't taught to use hand signals while driving a car with operating electrical turn signals.

Try again.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
If the DOT had better equipment, those 15MPH signs would not be posted when school is not in session so, why should time be taken out of my day for an inefficiency on the part of the state. This is not a sense of entitlement - it's just common sense.

They do have signs that do this:

is not the same as:

Talk about using common sense.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
inefficiency on the part of the state. This is not a sense of entitlement - it's just common sense.
Your view of common sense has killed many people. Im sure before the police cracked down on DWI, you felt it was ok to drink...because its just common sense that if you can stand you can drive.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM

131 posts, read 300,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
They do have signs that do this:

is not the same as:

Talk about using common sense.
Finally we agree on something - so, when I see the second sign you posted which does not stipulate an hourly range, I use common sense and realize if it is 11:00PM, there's little chance of a Math class going on - continue down the road at your current speed.

I feel like I am having a debate with one of the Golden Girls here...

Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM

No. You are having a debate with more experienced, mature drivers who never had to worry that they were approaching the point limit before your license is suspended. It sounds like you have spent more than enough time in traffic court.

I assume you don't think that, at 11pm around some high schools and perhaps some middle schools, that on a hot summer night there might not be some children playing around the schools. Guess you are clairvoyant enough to know when children are or aren't around the school.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Finally we agree on something - so, when I see the second sign you posted which does not stipulate an hourly range, I use common sense and realize if it is 11:00PM, there's little chance of a Math class going on - continue down the road at your current speed.

I feel like I am having a debate with one of the Golden Girls here...
No.

Just, no.

They are not suggestions. They are the rules.

Just like how the speed limit number they give you is for driving during OPTIMAL CONDITIONS. i.e. NOT pitch black, snowing, iced roads, etc.

How long have you even been driving anyway?? I feel like I'm having a debate with a 17 year old kid who thinks they know more than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island