Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 20,560 times

Advertisements

So back in 09 I had an old car that I wanted to get rid of. I put a for sale sign in the window and was sitting at a store on sunrise in copiague. A man who was walking thru the back roads saw the sign and really wanted to buy it. He was in his 50's and walked with a cane. He gave me cash, I signed the title over to him and went to the DMV to transfer my plates over to my new car. Fast forward to today, I get a letter from the town of babylon saying I owe them 2000 dollars in tickets because the VIN number comes back to me! This man never registered the car and is driving around with a bad plate. I saw it parked in front of his house (which I don't wanna stalk out it is in a bad area.) to boot, I'm really not totally sure what his name was. I went to the town with a letter from my insurance stating the dates that I transferred the plates, they want a bill of sale, which I didn't make a copy of! So I go to the cops. they ran the plates (which is how I found out they were bad, they belong to some lady) They said that I have to actually see him in the car and then call 911! Does anyone have any advice, I know I made a really bad move and will definitely remember for the future, but now I am really worried. If this guy hits and runs, or robs a bank It will come back to me! I called another police officer and asked, if he never registered the car then its still under me, cant i take it or have it towed? he kept saying that Its not stolen and I have to prove that I sold it. Again, I know I made a bad move but it just kills me that the cops ran the plate, saw that it was bad and can't do anything. Does anyone know what I could do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Smash it with your other car, or where is it....

Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Wait...did i read that right, the cops know the plates are misused, they can't sit on the car and get the guy who most likely has other issues they could probably help him with...

Where is this bad neighborhood?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM

20 posts, read 28,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGypsy View Post
So back in 09 I had an old car that I wanted to get rid of. I put a for sale sign in the window and was sitting at a store on sunrise in copiague. A man who was walking thru the back roads saw the sign and really wanted to buy it. He was in his 50's and walked with a cane. He gave me cash, I signed the title over to him and went to the DMV to transfer my plates over to my new car. Fast forward to today, I get a letter from the town of babylon saying I owe them 2000 dollars in tickets because the VIN number comes back to me! This man never registered the car and is driving around with a bad plate. I saw it parked in front of his house (which I don't wanna stalk out it is in a bad area.) to boot, I'm really not totally sure what his name was. I went to the town with a letter from my insurance stating the dates that I transferred the plates, they want a bill of sale, which I didn't make a copy of! So I go to the cops. they ran the plates (which is how I found out they were bad, they belong to some lady) They said that I have to actually see him in the car and then call 911! Does anyone have any advice, I know I made a really bad move and will definitely remember for the future, but now I am really worried. If this guy hits and runs, or robs a bank It will come back to me! I called another police officer and asked, if he never registered the car then its still under me, cant i take it or have it towed? he kept saying that Its not stolen and I have to prove that I sold it. Again, I know I made a bad move but it just kills me that the cops ran the plate, saw that it was bad and can't do anything. Does anyone know what I could do???
Did you sign and date the title? Did you watch him sign the title too?

I would report the car stolen and have him arrested. If he prodices a dated, signed title as proof of ownership, the date should help clear your name. If not, it gets touchy. He may be guilty of theft but you have to prove he drove the car for the past year.

I would call a lawyer and ask...it's a touchy situation.

ALWAYS get and keep a bill of sale and have the buyer sign the title.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
Report the car stolen

Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 PM

I hear its a crackhouse, its on a dead end street. I wouldn't wanna go in there without backup! I asked if an officer would come with me they said no. I looked up the address to see some of the names that live there to refresh my memory. One of the names seemed like the one, but not 100% sure. The cop ran the name anyway, came up with a few DWI's. I can't believe they can't do anything. I would never get away with that.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Wait...did i read that right, the cops know the plates are misused, they can't sit on the car and get the guy who most likely has other issues they could probably help him with...

Where is this bad neighborhood?
The car belongs to the OP in the cops eyes. By saying the plates are bad, they have to go after the owner, which is the OP. So they told OP, call us when you see the person in the car. I believe their only "right" move would be to pursue the owner.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGypsy View Post
I hear its a crackhouse, its on a dead end street. I wouldn't wanna go in there without backup! I asked if an officer would come with me they said no. I looked up the address to see some of the names that live there to refresh my memory. One of the names seemed like the one, but not 100% sure. The cop ran the name anyway, came up with a few DWI's. I can't believe they can't do anything. I would never get away with that.
Regardless of what you tell them and what you know, to them, the only fact is that YOU own the vehicle in question.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyHairedPrez View Post
Did you sign and date the title? Did you watch him sign the title too?

I would report the car stolen and have him arrested. If he prodices a dated, signed title as proof of ownership, the date should help clear your name. If not, it gets touchy. He may be guilty of theft but you have to prove he drove the car for the past year.

I would call a lawyer and ask...it's a touchy situation.

ALWAYS get and keep a bill of sale and have the buyer sign the title.
I dated and signed it but did not watch him sign it. I thought of reporting it stolen and actually mentioned that to the police officer, he said its not stolen or anything, you gave it to him.. you just have to prove that you sold it. I'm going nuts. Thanks everyone for your help. I will try the DMV tomorrow. Then I guess lawyer..ugghhh lesson definitely learned

Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyHairedPrez View Post
Regardless of what you tell them and what you know, to them, the only fact is that YOU own the vehicle in question.
Thats how I figured it too, yet I cannot go take my vehicle! Its crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island