Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM

92 posts, read 431,645 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in the northern part of Huntington (Halesite). We are looking to get into a better district and recently saw a house in what is still considered Huntington that would go to the Elwood district. The house is on Timber Ridge Drive. The street bisects Little Plains Road and Manor Road. While driving on the block we were extremely impressed with the homes. Many are 700-1M. The house we are looking at is in the 6's. However we are concerned with the surrounding area. Although this house is in the middle of the block so technically it is isolated, the area on Little Plains Road and Broadway south of Little Plains seemed very sketch. When my wife saw this house on a warm day there were a lot of people we knew didn't live on this block hanging on their stoops or jogging/riding their bike on it. We think it could be a great opportunity but at the same time don't want to get stuck in a house that is surrounded by poverty/crime. The last several sales have been at high prices which is encouraging but we also don't want to be on a block where my kids don't want to be on the street playing because of who comes down it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM

1,917 posts, read 7,084,524 times
I would not do it. There are several posts about that area, about people who don't live there, loitering on lawns in the Timber Ridge area. Nice homes but I would pass, wayyyy too close to the sketchy areas, esp for that price. Keep looking.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,573,180 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County

According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Timber Ridge Drive is in Elwood ("Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address).

A map of the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

Elwood is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Elwood have a "Huntington, NY 11743", "Greenlawn, NY 11740" "East Northport, NY 11731", "Commack, NY 11725" and "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,304,166 times
let me guess... a map that tells you where timber ridge is... even though the op already knows where it is...

Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,629,903 times
I would pass on that area too. Not great. Kind of sketchy. It is in the Town of Huntington which is roughly 10 square miles and includes many areas such as East Northport that people try and pass off as Huntington, but where you're considering is probably either Elwood, or an edge of Greenlawn, etc. (This is where Walter comes in.) It's certainly not Halesite (what I would consider Huntington) where you're living right now.

So, you're trying to escape the school district? Why not look over in CSH? Right now some of those houses are up for sale and are priced rather reasonably. There was a colonial up for sale there for $659K and it never sold. People decided to keep it and renovate.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM

147 posts, read 369,894 times
I can give you a little bit of insight into that particular development since my folks have been living there for 11 years now and growing up I went to Elwood. Despite essentially living across from a very poor area(other side of little plains), I haven't heard or seen much crime. Elwood school district is excellent, as are most of the districts in the area such as Harborfields, Commack, Northport, Dix Hills. It is much smaller than the surrounding districts so you may not get the same opportunities as a bigger district. Make sure you are aware of the property taxes in the area, most are in the $13k-15k range. There are little wooded trails directly behind the development near the pond and behind the Manor Rd. Farm if you need a place to walk your dog. PM me if you have some specific questions, but if the house is in good shape and you are getting a reasonable price for it, I don't think you would be making a poor decision. A lot of people feel the area(and Elwood in general) is sketchy because there is a decent sized African American and Latino population compared to some of the surrounding areas, however it is not Huntington Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: