Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times

Advertisements

Be respectful to those around you, keep your house maintained, just be a normal person and you will have no problems on LI. Now if you want to be that guy blasting music at 2 am Im sure you will run into problems, as you would anywhere.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:42 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
It's amazing to me how blacks still want to think they are soooooo different than anyone else. If you have the money and the professionalism you will be accepted in any neighborhood. If your kids want to walk out of your house with their pants hanging down on their knees...you will see a different story. If you keep your house nice and don't act "ghetto" you will be accepted anywhere.

Why are people racists and biased? Because they have seen great areas on Long Island degraded and turned crime ridden when blacks have moved in....Westbury is a great example of this.

I live in a lilly white area but there are many asians that have bought homes here. They seem to have absolutely no problem. Why? Because they keep their homes neat, their kids don't act like gang bangers, they are friendly and greet their neighbors without worry whether or not they will be accepted. In short, they are trying to act like middle class Americans without dregging up the prejudices of centuries ago.

Perhaps you should dream like Brother Martin and think less about the color of your skin and more about the content of your character.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:57 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It's amazing to me how blacks still want to think they are soooooo different than anyone else. If you have the money and the professionalism you will be accepted in any neighborhood. If your kids want to walk out of your house with their pants hanging down on their knees...you will see a different story. If you keep your house nice and don't act "ghetto" you will be accepted anywhere.

Why are people racists and biased? Because they have seen great areas on Long Island degraded and turned crime ridden when blacks have moved in....Westbury is a great example of this.

I live in a lilly white area but there are many asians that have bought homes here. They seem to have absolutely no problem. Why? Because they keep their homes neat, their kids don't act like gang bangers, they are friendly and greet their neighbors without worry whether or not they will be accepted. In short, they are trying to act like middle class Americans without dregging up the prejudices of centuries ago.

Perhaps you should dream like Brother Martin and think less about the color of your skin and more about the content of your character.
This coming from someone who said they basically looked for the whitest neighborhood they could possibly find......

Its posts like this one that makes some blacks wonder if they would be accepted in certain neighborhoods.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:

Totally agree with this.. in fact, I'm not worried about blacks or latinos "bringing down property values" like one poster assumes everyone in white areas does, it's the unions that are taking care of that for us. What does bother me is exactly what GPS said, pants on the ground, old beater cars on the lawn, neglect, the draw of illegals*, the bodegas and check cashing joints and other ghetto-ish traits that are accepted in some towns on LI.
*you have to admit that illegals look for towns that are more racially diverse to blend in easier.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:09 PM

and what I said is not true?

Yes, I looked for a lilly white area. I lived in Diversity..I got quickly tired of it. I lived in areas that became a white flight zone. I saw neighborhoods that were destroyed when black people moved in...black professionals..NO..black gang bangers and black welfare recipients. So I decided to not take that chance again. and there is something wrong with that?

Most Long Islanders have no idea what can happen when minorities move into a neighborhood. I saw my uncle who moved into a nice home in Freeport in 1946..he lived their into the 1980s...it was a hellhole..why, because the blacks that took over that area were not professionals, didnt keep their homes nice and didnt care if their kids were out robbing the whitey family

Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:

Yes, I looked for a lilly white area. I lived in Diversity..I got quickly tired of it. I lived in areas that became a white flight zone. I saw neighborhoods that were destroyed when black people moved in...black professionals..NO..black gang bangers and black welfare recipients. So I decided to not take that chance again. and there is something wrong with that?

Most Long Islanders have no idea what can happen when minorities move into a neighborhood. I saw my uncle who moved into a nice home in Freeport in 1946..he lived their into the 1980s...it was a hellhole..why, because the blacks that took over that area were not professionals, didnt keep their homes nice and didnt care if their kids were out robbing the whitey family
If three black families moved on your block, would you put your home up for sale?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:

All true but let's not be naive either. How about the black guy in jail right now for protecting his kid and home from the angry white rich kids who chased his son home. Turns out his kid didn't 'dis' that girl after all. Ooops, sorry.

Puhleeze. LI is as racist as it gets. My guess is in 90% of neighborhoods as soon as a black family moves in at least one or two white families start looking to sell. It's nothing new. It's classic NY history.

The reason the Asian families do OK is:
1. They make more money than the white families on the block, drive nicer cars and their kids get better grades.
2. They do not face the same stigma as Blacks do of being "neighborhood wreckers" and are in fact seen as the new pursuers of the middle class American dream that everyone can relate to. Joking aside, they are perceived to have the correct "values" and usually do.

Also in fairness. The black population in NY has not shown as strong an inclination to share in the American dream, consistently blaming it on racism, lack of educational opportunites, etc. If minorities can come here with pennies in their pockets and achieve middle class status in 1 or 2 generations, maybe it's time African Americans stop the excuses and do the same after 5 and 6 generations. The playing field is equal enough. It's who has the will and desire to achieve. Lots of white folks falling behind too.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Would I move if three black families moved on my block? I honestly don't know. I might think of it but if they maintained their property and were middle class and didnt attract ghettos around them, I would not have a problem.

I would just like to ask how many neighborhoods, towns, or whatever have actually been "improved" when blacks moved in? Westbury? Brentwood? Uniondale? Freeport? I think there is a reasonable concern when blacks move into a predominantly white area. And also...how many areas have been improved when whites move back in.....perhaps none here yet in Long Island but areas of Brooklyn have become high end neighborhoods again when the yuppies of the 80s and hipsters of the 2000s started moving back in.

It's real nice to be so liberal when you have only lived on white Long Island all your life. Those who advocate diversity don't know what it's like to live diversity

Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 PM

176 posts, read 730,107 times
Quote:

Lucky for you, you can live any where you please and not have to worry about being accepted. Lucky for you that all you have to do is figure out your budget. If this was switched and you were the one with the sign on your fall head, that no matter where you go you have to be perfect or else you will be punished. In fact you dont even have to be perfect you just have to have color on your skin and you are a target.

This maybe news to you but there are all kinds of people, there are white people that do not care their properties, there are are white people that are crack heads, gangs and so on. The difference is a white person will move in a neighborhood and no one will think anything of it if a black or hispanic person does they are immediately targets. It is sad that there are people like you all over this beautiful island but the good news is the majority is changing soon white will no longer be the majority or have a say so there will be no where to run and hide and you will have no choice.

Yes slavery may have been over generations ago but slavery is in its new form. Today you same people would smile at an African American and talk behind backs or move as soon as one person moves in neighborhood, mean while there is a white child on same block swollowing pills and doing all kinds of stuff but lucky for the child they have white skin.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM

176 posts, read 730,107 times
Quote:
Would I move if three black families moved on my block? I honestly don't know. I might think of it but if they maintained their property and were middle class and didnt attract ghettos around them, I would not have a problem.

I would just like to ask how many neighborhoods, towns, or whatever have actually been "improved" when blacks moved in? Westbury? Brentwood? Uniondale? Freeport? I think there is a reasonable concern when blacks move into a predominantly white area. And also...how many areas have been improved when whites move back in.....perhaps none here yet in Long Island but areas of Brooklyn have become high end neighborhoods again when the yuppies of the 80s and hipsters of the 2000s started moving back in.

It's real nice to be so liberal when you have only lived on white Long Island all your life. Those who advocate diversity don't know what it's like to live diversity
You assume things you know nothing about. Open your close minded mind and you will see that there are white ghettos and poors and gangs and so on. There are more upper middle class than you will think but you know why you dont see them, they dont want to live next to you. Yes you who is looking out your window to see if they are wearing baggy pants or hats God forbid it is winter and you have on hat you are ghetto. What are the blacks doing now are they parking their car, maybe it is stolen. Who wants to live next to that so in this case most would move any area poor or whatever no one wants to be watching or if someone will call their kids the N word. If you look at most kids today regardless of back ground they all are dressing urban, so a white guy with baggy pants is now ghetto or just a kid in school trying to find identity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island