Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
The reality is what the reality is? What does the state Portion Road, Farmingville have to do with East? You keep bringing this up and it is totally irrelevant.

Fact of the mater is, with comments like "I'm not comfortable with the direction that some parts of east are going" proves that you have 0 knowledge about the school. Yes, Farmingville has some well documented challenges, but OP isn't moving to Farmingville. He/She asked a question about Sachem East. Farmingville has had the illegal immigrant problem for years and it still has had no effect on the schools.

And don't start with the "I'm entitled to my opinion". It's not an opinion, you're just wrong.
The fact that there is a sizable illegal immigrant population in Farmingville, which spills over into neighboring communities, does, in fact, have an impact on the Sachem school district and it's cost to homeowners in increased services supporting ESL students. That's a burdensome reality to the taxpayers.

Quick Google found this:
www.scta.net/ordereze/Files/december2010_speak_out.pdf (broken link)
From page 8
"This year our students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) at Sagamore Middle School are part
of an exciting new collaborative program. In addition to attending their ESL classes, they also have an ESL
teacher in each content area class such as English, History, Math and Science."

I don't know which HS Sagamore feeds in to, but someone mentioned redistricting on this thread, so anything is possible, isn't it? Some of these students, whose existence you vehemently seek to deny by asserting illegals don't have families (ever head of the term 'anchor baby'?) may very well end up at SHSE.

Here's another worthy tidbit I found during my Google:
Sachem Schools Sponsor ESL Festival - Sachem, NY Patch
While the article is a year old, one thing stands out:
"The district currently employs 11 English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers throughout the district, which serves 15 schools and a population of 175 ESL students."

A little something else to nibble on from that Patch article:
"Representatives from community organizations and institutions were there to provide valuable information to help the community integrate and succeed. Debbie Venezuela, a bilingual social worker, and Damaris Sampayo of the Eastern Suffolk BOCES Migrant Worker Group were on hand at the event to provide information on other programs that support newcomers."

Something tells me these weren't Asian families who have relocated when taking positions at SBU. Whoever could they be providing info to?

You stated you graduated from Sachem Schools. How long ago was that? Is it possible that things inside the hallowed halls of Sachem have changed since your departure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM

265 posts, read 941,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The fact that there is a sizable illegal immigrant population in Farmingville, which spills over into neighboring communities, does, in fact, have an impact on the Sachem school district and it's cost to homeowners in increased services supporting ESL students. That's a burdensome reality to the taxpayers.

Quick Google found this:
www.scta.net/ordereze/Files/december2010_speak_out.pdf (broken link)
From page 8
"This year our students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) at Sagamore Middle School are part
of an exciting new collaborative program. In addition to attending their ESL classes, they also have an ESL
teacher in each content area class such as English, History, Math and Science."

I don't know which HS Sagamore feeds in to, but someone mentioned redistricting on this thread, so anything is possible, isn't it? Some of these students, whose existence you vehemently seek to deny by asserting illegals don't have families (ever head of the term 'anchor baby'?) may very well end up at SHSE.

Here's another worthy tidbit I found during my Google:
Sachem Schools Sponsor ESL Festival - Sachem, NY Patch
While the article is a year old, one thing stands out:
"The district currently employs 11 English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers throughout the district, which serves 15 schools and a population of 175 ESL students."

A little something else to nibble on from that Patch article:
"Representatives from community organizations and institutions were there to provide valuable information to help the community integrate and succeed. Debbie Venezuela, a bilingual social worker, and Damaris Sampayo of the Eastern Suffolk BOCES Migrant Worker Group were on hand at the event to provide information on other programs that support newcomers."

Something tells me these weren't Asian families who have relocated when taking positions at SBU. Whoever could they be providing info to?

You stated you graduated from Sachem Schools. How long ago was that? Is it possible that things inside the hallowed halls of Sachem have changed since your departure?
I graduated in 06.

So there's 175 ESL students throughout 15 schools, which makes for about 11 ESL students per school. That sounds about on par with most districts.

My sister goes to East. She says there are only a few ESL rooms and not many ESL students.

I never denied there is not one ESL student in the school. The school is like 10% hispanic tops (most of the 10% being legal). The truth is, that the vast vast majority of day laborers living in Farmingville do not have families here.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
I graduated in 06.

So there's 175 ESL students throughout 15 schools, which makes for about 11 ESL students per school. That sounds about on par with most districts.
Stats, please?

Quote:
My sister goes to East. She says there are only a few ESL rooms and not many ESL students.
Hearsay.
"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

-Simone (from Sachem HS East?)
"

Quote:
I never denied there is not one ESL student in the school. The school is like 10% hispanic tops (most of the 10% being legal). The truth is, that the vast vast majority of day laborers living in Farmingville do not have families here.
Once again, back up your statement with facts, not suppositions which you label truth.

You've spent the bulk of the thread trying to defend an area where you live/lived based upon your 4+ year old school observations coupled with hearsay. You've berated homeowners who trying to give helpful information to potential new residents -- a home is a big investment, taking a 21 or 22 year old's advice (do you still live at home, or rent?) on where to live could have a grave impact on their finances.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,473,695 times
Quote:
Stats, please?
Sachem Central School District: 172 ESL students out of 15,014. That's 1.1% of the student body... (source: here)

Below is a list of every single district in the Town of Brookhaven. Looks like 1.1% is pretty far down towards the low end...

Bayport-Blue Point UFSD: 0.4% ESL students (source)
Three Village Central SD: 0.6% ESL students (source)
Eastport-South Manor Central HS District: 0.6% ESL students (source)
Shoreham-Wading River Central SD: 0.6% ESL students (source)
Mount Sinai UFSD: 0.8% ESL students (source)
Miller Place UFSD: 0.9% ESL students (source)
Port Jefferson UFSD: 1.2% ESL students (source)
Rocky Point UFSD: 2.1% ESL students (source)
Center Moriches UFSD: 2.2% ESL students (source)
East Moriches UFSD: 2.5% ESL students (source)
Middle Country Central SD: 3.2% ESL students (source)
Longwood Central SD: 3.5% ESL students (source)
William Floyd UFSD: 3.7% ESL students (source)
Brookhaven-Comsewogue UFSD: 4.8% ESL students (source)
South Country Central SD: 5.8% ESL students (source)
Fire Island UFSD: 6.9% ESL students (source)
Patchogue-Medford UFSD: 9.5% ESL students (source)

And just for good measure, let's include a few elsewhere on LI. These were chosen somewhat at random, but I tried to make sure at least a few areas people think of as "typical" were included:

Smithtown Central SD: 0.7% ESL students (source)
Plainedge UFSD: 1.3% ESL students (source)
Babylon UFSD: 1.4% ESL students (source)
Harborfields Central SD: 1.6% ESL students (source)
Jericho UFSD: 1.7% ESL students (source)
Levittown UFSD: 2.0% ESL students (source)
Great Neck UFSD: 4.6% ESL students (source)
Herricks UFSD: 4.8% ESL students (source)
East Hampton UFSD: 12.0% ESL students (source)

The 21 or 22 year old is correct...any illegal immigrant population residing in Farmingville doesn't translate to a major economic burden for Sachem taxpayers. Either they have kids that speak English really well, or (more likely) they don't have kids at all.

John was also correct about no school in Sachem being more than 10% Hispanic at most. Well, technically that's not true.....Gatelot Avenue Elementary School in Lake Ronkonkoma was 12% Hispanic, but also less than 2% ESL students. I'm guessing Tecumseh (9% Hispanic, 3% ESL) is the elementary that covers the dreaded Portion Road illegal immigrant area?

Sachem North had, not really that surprisingly, a marginally higher percentage of both Hispanic (7%) and ESL (1.1%) students than Sachem East (6% Hispanic, 0.9% ESL)...

Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,104,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Sachem Central School District: 172 ESL students out of 15,014. That's 1.1% of the student body... (source: here)

Below is a list of every single district in the Town of Brookhaven. Looks like 1.1% is pretty far down towards the low end...

Bayport-Blue Point UFSD: 0.4% ESL students (source)
Three Village Central SD: 0.6% ESL students (source)
Eastport-South Manor Central HS District: 0.6% ESL students (source)
Shoreham-Wading River Central SD: 0.6% ESL students (source)
Mount Sinai UFSD: 0.8% ESL students (source)
Miller Place UFSD: 0.9% ESL students (source)
Port Jefferson UFSD: 1.2% ESL students (source)
Rocky Point UFSD: 2.1% ESL students (source)
Center Moriches UFSD: 2.2% ESL students (source)
East Moriches UFSD: 2.5% ESL students (source)
Middle Country Central SD: 3.2% ESL students (source)
Longwood Central SD: 3.5% ESL students (source)
William Floyd UFSD: 3.7% ESL students (source)
Brookhaven-Comsewogue UFSD: 4.8% ESL students (source)
South Country Central SD: 5.8% ESL students (source)
Fire Island UFSD: 6.9% ESL students (source)
Patchogue-Medford UFSD: 9.5% ESL students (source)

And just for good measure, let's include a few elsewhere on LI. These were chosen somewhat at random, but I tried to make sure at least a few areas people think of as "typical" were included:

Smithtown Central SD: 0.7% ESL students (source)
Plainedge UFSD: 1.3% ESL students (source)
Babylon UFSD: 1.4% ESL students (source)
Harborfields Central SD: 1.6% ESL students (source)
Jericho UFSD: 1.7% ESL students (source)
Levittown UFSD: 2.0% ESL students (source)
Great Neck UFSD: 4.6% ESL students (source)
Herricks UFSD: 4.8% ESL students (source)
East Hampton UFSD: 12.0% ESL students (source)

The 21 or 22 year old is correct...any illegal immigrant population residing in Farmingville doesn't translate to a major economic burden for Sachem taxpayers. Either they have kids that speak English really well, or (more likely) they don't have kids at all.

John was also correct about no school in Sachem being more than 10% Hispanic at most. Well, technically that's not true.....Gatelot Avenue Elementary School in Lake Ronkonkoma was 12% Hispanic, but also less than 2% ESL students. I'm guessing Tecumseh (9% Hispanic, 3% ESL) is the elementary that covers the dreaded Portion Road illegal immigrant area?

Sachem North had, not really that surprisingly, a marginally higher percentage of both Hispanic (7%) and ESL (1.1%) students than Sachem East (6% Hispanic, 0.9% ESL).

Additionally

Sean albeit relatively low,is population taken into account?

You are talking about the largest disrtict on the Island.(State?)
Conversely East Hampton is one of the smallest.

Nassau?

Crooks

Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 PM

182 posts, read 405,405 times
When you were in school, did you do everyone else's homework, too? The kid needs to learn to fight his own fights, but doesn't need to when he has an enabler doing it for him. John910 wrote Crookhaven doesn't know anything because he doesn't live there. You're burping up stats without insight of living in an area you were "blunt" about a few posts ago.

We all know what is on paper isn't always what you see.

Ohbeehave made a point about expense to taxpayers and the link to the Sachem Patch stated there are 11 ESL teachers. If those ESL teachers are earning (hypothetically, but not unrealistically) $70,000 plus benefits, how much does that translate into tax burden per taxpayer?

Crookhaven pointed out that Sachem is a huge district. You pointed out a few others nearby that were big (Smithtown having 2 high schools and Three Village) which didn't have the percentage of ESL Sachem had.

What percentage of ESL in the each of these 3 districts is Spanish? Were you able to learn that? Chances are it will be a much greater number in Sachem as opposed to Smithtown and Three Village, which tend to attract foreign families who are relocating for careers at Stony Brook. Often, they are Asian or European.

Deny or accept it, but the presence of illegal immigrants to Farmingville and surrounding communities has an impact on the Sachem schools as the day laborers send for families and start having children with their wives or girlfriends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Below is a list of every single district in the Town of Brookhaven. Looks like 1.1% is pretty far down the...

The 21 or 22 year old is correct...any illegal immigrant population residing in Farmingville doesn't translate to a major economic burden for Sachem taxpayers.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,186,776 times
^^^
Communities with the most ESL going on (and for older children) have a lot of illegal alien children who are smuggled into the country by parents rather than kids born here of the wives or girlfriends of day laborers. I agree when we talk about ESL, we can also think of other than spanish speaking ... I grew up with a family who moved from Italy (whose dad was fluent in english and moved to the USA for a job) and the kids needed ESL help at the beginning, but caught on fast. Often families that don't speak or write english themselves WANT their kids born in the US to know english and enroll them in school on time so their kids or grandkids can help them with paperwork, translating, etc. A lot of asian families in the city have been like that for ages! However, in the long run, ESL education costs money, but in this "global economy" whether the immigrants be white collar executives or farm hands, it is something we cannot simply stop doing, is it?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,720,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Sean albeit relatively low,is population taken into account?

You are talking about the largest disrtict on the Island.(State?)
Conversely East Hampton is one of the smallest.

Nassau?

Crooks
Good post Sean. Massapequa UFSD is 0.3% crooks. the rest is public info you can look up. I think it's funny how North vs East became such a big difference in this thread, yet in Roosevelt thread you say "what's the difference if 90% of Suffolk falls in the same barrel anyway".
Patchogue-Medford UFSD vs Rocky Point UFSD, no real difference there, right?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,104,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Good post Sean. Massapequa UFSD is 0.3% crooks. the rest is public info you can look up. I think it's funny how North vs East became such a big difference in this thread, yet in Roosevelt thread you say "what's the difference if 90% of Suffolk falls in the same barrel anyway".
Patchogue-Medford UFSD vs Rocky Point UFSD, no real difference there, right?

Um what?

All I said was I prefer the North Shore and youve misquoted me.

Youre like racially obsessed.Please stay where you are.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-01-2011 at 11:57 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 AM

265 posts, read 941,517 times
Quote:
Stats, please?
You gave me the stats.

I just did the math to find out an "average" of esl students per school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave;17219723Hearsay.
"[I
Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

-Simone (from Sachem HS East?)[/i]"

Once again, back up your statement with facts, not suppositions which you label truth.

You've spent the bulk of the thread trying to defend an area where you live/lived based upon your 4+ year old school observations coupled with hearsay. You've berated homeowners who trying to give helpful information to potential new residents -- a home is a big investment, taking a 21 or 22 year old's advice (do you still live at home, or rent?) on where to live could have a grave impact on their finances.
Alright. I've been a Farmingville resident for about half of my life and went to school there, and still have siblings in the school. If you don't want to believe me, then I don't know what to tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island