Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 12,144 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Long Island (from Wyoming) for a new job. Have kids (will be starting middle school) and family. We can afford a home of ~350k. I am looking for nice quite neighborhood with great/ excellent schools. I am looking for areas with areas with low crime rates and no gang related schools. I am Ok with renting for now too. Any suggestions/ tips would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheretolive1234 View Post
I am planning to move to Long Island (from Wyoming) for a new job. Have kids (will be starting middle school) and family. We can afford a home of ~350k. I am looking for nice quite neighborhood with great/ excellent schools. I am looking for areas with areas with low crime rates and no gang related schools. I am Ok with renting for now too. Any suggestions/ tips would be helpful.
My suggestion would be for you to seriously look at property taxes on houses you like. They will play a huge factor in how much house you can really afford.

Also, where is your job going to be located?
How far would you be willing to travel?
What's your definition of "great/excellent" schools?
How long do you plan on staying here?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Uh oh! here we go again.... rent ! rent !! rent !!!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
My suggestion would be for you to seriously look at property taxes on houses you like. They will play a huge factor in how much house you can really afford.

Also, where is your job going to be located?
How far would you be willing to travel?
What's your definition of "great/excellent" schools?
How long do you plan on staying here?
Thanks for your response tomonlineli.
My Job would be in Plainview area.
I am willing to travel ~30-40 min.
I am planning to be here as long as my job keeps me.
By "great/excellent" school, I am looking for schools that are academically focussed, have great after schools programs, some diversity, no gang related issues etc..

Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

Wheretolive1234, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Wheretolive1234, tomonlineli gives great advice: property taxes are much larger on Long Island than in Wyoming, and then there is also the New York State income tax and sales tax, among other differences.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM

46 posts, read 88,017 times
franklin square, new hyde park, and garden city park, u can find a decent home there for about 400k though, good luck.

heres a link to LI real state
MLSLI.com

Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM

188 posts, read 416,235 times
Wyoming is a beautiful state, why would you want to move here? Long Island is heading south and I don't mean geographically!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks Folks. Kisel17, you go where job takes you. Somebody suggested West Islip, Ronkonkoma and Stony Brook, Brookhaven area. Any suggestions, or inputs would be appreciated. Syosset, Cold Spring harbor seems to be pretty expensive.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Default MLSLI.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycguy26 View Post
heres a link to LI real state
MLSLI.com
Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island