Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: deleted post
The main thing about school districts and the quality of education they provide is the quality of the PEOPLE that reside within the school district. You can spend $100K per annum per pupil, but if the pupils come from dirtbag families, many will fail anyway in spite of it. And there are also plenty of homeschooled (rural or otherwise) kids out there with excellent educations that the local school district never saw nor spent a dime on. Reason? The dedication of their parents and families. There were no home computers and internet back when many of us that post on here were going to school. With advanced educational software and broadband connectivity going almost everywhere, it could also prove to be extremely helpful for those in school districts that are somewhat backwards. However, if kids are from a culture of dirtbaggery in any setting ... rural, suburban, urban ... too many of them will graduate from the penal institutions rather than the higher educational ones.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-22-2010 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
[quote=I_Love_LI_but;17102262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post

The main thing about school districts and the quality of education they provide is the quality of the PEOPLE that reside within the school district. You can spend $100K per annum per pupil, but if the pupils come from dirtbag families, many will fail anyway in spite of it. And there are also plenty of homeschooled (rural or otherwise) kids out there with excellent educations that the local school district never saw nor spent a dime on. Reason? The dedication of their parents and families. There were no home computers and internet back when many of us that post on here were going to school. With advanced educational software and broadband connectivity going almost everywhere, it could also prove to be extremely helpful for those in school districts that are somewhat backwards. However, if kids are from a culture of dirtbaggery in any setting ... rural, suburban, urban ... too many of them will graduate from the penal institutions rather than the higher educational ones.
This is true to a point.

If kids in the affluent schools are using books from this year while the poor kids are using books that are 10 years old, they are at a disadvantage.

If kids in the affluent schools are using computers year while the poor kids are using books, they are at a disadvantage.

If kids in the affluent schools are using up to date learning methods, while the poor kids are not, they are at a disadvantage.

Parental involvement is an important factor, but not the only one.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
But just look at this show, which features some of the major prison complexes all throughout the nation. In particular, take note of the demographics of the inmates:

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27118605/ns/msnbc_tv-documentaries"]Lockup: MSNBC's prison documentary series- msnbc.com[/URL]

Then tell me if Nassau or Suffolk County jail has a lot similar to that (neo nazis, white supremacist gangs, 1% bikers, meth addicts and cookers, tattooed - including whites of the eyeballs - freaks, career convenience store robbers, rabid anti-U.S. government militia members, etc., etc.) or if the upstate NY prisons are full of similar LI'ers.

Honestly. We don't.

Let us at least take pride in something ... a much smaller proportion of white trash criminals on LI!
I'm assuming you're being tongue in cheek.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM

155 posts, read 457,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Moderator cut: deleted post
I would like to add to this post that we are kidding ourselves if we think that just by just throwing money at education will provide a better education for an undergraduate education. Its the family support that attributes mostly to the success of the students and a decent school system. I think we are being robbed blindly in some of these school districts by the amount of cash they are getting and the tax payers are clueless to the greed and corruption that goes on. They should be able to provide adequate sports and other amenities such as computer and other labs under a far less budget but the waste and corruption are probably making a very nice life style for those in control. They do it in other parts of the country that have better ranking schools then on Long Island where they spent far less.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:40 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
I would like to add to this post that we are kidding ourselves if we think that just by just throwing money at education will provide a better education for an undergraduate education. Its the family support that attributes mostly to the success of the students and a decent school system. I think we are being robbed blindly in some of these school districts by the amount of cash they are getting and the tax payers are clueless to the greed and corruption that goes on. They should be able to provide adequate sports and other amenities such as computer and other labs under a far less budget but the waste and corruption are probably making a very nice life style for those in control. They do it in other parts of the country that have better ranking schools then on Long Island where they spent far less.
And you will find one thing in common in those other areas: NO teachers' unions.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM

51 posts, read 109,532 times
I needed to try and find a rental 20 years ago- and one that would accept a dog (I now have a pit mix myself- but had a bordie collie back then)...HAha...I was about to buy an old school bus to live in...but then found a crappy, tiny cottage in Holtsville for $600 a month (the neighbor was a drug addict)....which I could only stand for a few months...and couldn't afford to use the heat! ....and that was 20 years ago!

If you make $50K a year on LI...you're a pauper!

You can make something of your life no matter where you live. Paying the world's highest prices to live in a place where there is little freedom and little real opportunity...is NOT the way to do it! Go to a CHEAP area....and one where there is little government to meddle in everything you do- as you will thus be able to live cheaply and prosper, even on a little money.

I moved from LI (where I spent most of my life) to rural KY. and didn't really start living until I did so!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:49 AM

196 posts, read 504,308 times
Here's my equation> every time you leave your house to do anything it cost $100 an hr minium! Pick up a RX, get a salad for lunch, fuel in the car, pack of butts, Stop by Kmart $100 GONE in a wink~ I agree stay in NC,,,10,000,000 , yes 10 M<illion folks have left NY in the last 10 years,,,RUN

Old 12-30-2010, 09:12 AM

51 posts, read 109,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeach View Post
Here's my equation> every time you leave your house to do anything it cost $100 an hr minium! Pick up a RX, get a salad for lunch, fuel in the car, pack of butts, Stop by Kmart $100 GONE in a wink~ I agree stay in NC,,,10,000,000 , yes 10 M<illion folks have left NY in the last 10 years,,,RUN
Very true observations!

And to think- back in the 60's/ early 70's, my uncle lived the American dream- in Lake Grove- on a blue collar salary with just one job and a stay-at-home wife. Raised four kids...his daughter had a horse....always had 2 nice cars in the driveway......

By the 80's, he couldn't even afford to live in the house that he owned free and clear!

Sounds like the OP doesn't realize that if she moved to LI, she'd be living in her car....and if things went well, might have the prospect of looking forward to living in someone's basement when her and hubby are fully employed......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island