Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 PM

29 posts, read 52,125 times

Advertisements

I visited LI for 2 weeks a few years ago and have always wanted to move there.. any suggestions on pitbull-friendly rental housing, jobs, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pswifey View Post
I visited LI for 2 weeks a few years ago and have always wanted to move there.. any suggestions on pitbull-friendly rental housing, jobs, etc?
We're going to need more information to make meaningful comments.
Long Island is just that - LONG. Any areas you don't want to live?
Rentals with dogs are more difficult to find, especially pitbulls.
Jobs - we have no clue what your qualifications are.
Your income will partly determine where you can afford to live...

Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 PM

I am a 27yr old single female looking to relocate from NC. I have a background in Customer Service, Marketing, Security & Healthcare.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM

81 posts, read 279,663 times
Stay where you are, you are much better off.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Pipe dream.....move on. With your housing budget at 500-600 a month and with no job Do you honestly think your going to make it on L.I. If your struggling in a very small town in N.C. just imagine trying to make it on L.I. with the COL at least twice as much. Unless you change your name to "candy" and advertised on some seedy websites....you might want to rethink the move

Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
This person is posting the same message in a dozen forums. Just randomly selecting forums? Why LI? Obviously no idea what LI is about, ie spending a lot of money!!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 AM

First of all, who said I was "struggling" here in NC? I'm simply looking to get OUT of the small town, broaden my horizons and actually do something with my life, unlike the people who stay here! And yes, Ive posted in several different forums. I'm weighing my options and trying to make a decision on where I'd like to go. I have the ability to move anywhere in the country that I so choose, and Im simply using this forum as a tool for that decision.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
First of all, who said I was "struggling" here in NC? I'm simply looking to get OUT of the small town, broaden my horizons and actually do something with my life, unlike the people who stay here! And yes, Ive posted in several different forums. I'm weighing my options and trying to make a decision on where I'd like to go. I have the ability to move anywhere in the country that I so choose, and Im simply using this forum as a tool for that decision.

Quote:
Our rental budget to start would be around $6-700. Because the economy in our current area has gone so far downhill, we are currently living on a one-person income (and that is through unemployment benefits). We will both be starting an online job search once we decide where we will be moving. My fiancee has previously been employed in industrial construction and various food service industries. I have been in Customer Service, Real Estate Marketing and other clerical positions. I'm thinking we would enjoy city or suburban life. Any advice on employment and/or finding private home owners to rent from?

You're kidding right ? Yes dream on

Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
You're kidding right ? Yes dream on
Right, moving from North Carolina with no job and no specialized skills to one of the most expensive places in the country.

Food Service and customer service jobs on LI pay probably about 10% more than they would in NC..if you can get one.....unfortunately an apartment costs twice as much, as do things like car insurance and a litany of other things.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
What part of Long Island did you visit and what did you like about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island