Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you consider "Too Far" out on Long Island?
A- (Blue) Nassau/Suffolk Border 22 37.93%
B- (Red) Smithtown/Islip 13 22.41%
C- (Gray) Sound Beach/Medford 11 18.97%
D- (Yellow) Baiting Hollow/Westhampton 4 6.90%
E- (Green) Southold/East Hampton/Montauk 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:42 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes, as the population grows and many move east, Nassau and Suffolk are growing too. I don't dispute that.

Well, it looks like you see Nassau turning into southside Jamaica or Far Rockaway rather than closer to Bayside or Forest Hills and that's where I take issue.

Maybe you are much older than me and remember Nassau when it was as quiet and rural as far east Suffolk is now and can truly grieve for it or have relatives who used to live in Nassau back then who told you about it. I can't miss what I don't remember!

I am not a fan of the Hamptons because they are so commercialized and focused on the big money. I love the North Fork for its tranquil beauty but see it more as a place I like to take day trips to than a place I want to live in 24-7-365. But even idyllic Greenport has its "sketchy" section. (Oops. I did it again.)
True.

Im a dinosaur Its a VERY different Island.
Not all bad...just different.I suspect many of the reasons we moved to the areas we chose have changed in the times weve been there.

Greenport does indeed have its challenges but Ill gladly ride its carousel over the one in Hempstead.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default As for me being "all wrong" about this ...

Quote:
But you're also getting the 718'ers and upper upper 212'ers skipping straight over 516 to the more "affordable" 631 areas. Nassau has no homes below 6 figures, nor whole neighborhoods of cheap rental homes whose whole business philosophy is in accepting section 8. The "bottom" is more likely to skip over all of Nassau due to affordability issues, not perch themselves right over the Nassau/Queens border as you seem to think they do. The "bottom" cannot afford to.
... please find me some comparable values on the Nassau/Queens border for the dregs of NYC to live in:

ML#: 2285255
ML#: 2338758
ML#: 2308265
ML#: 2353321
ML#: 2241840
ML#: 2301591

Note: I did not even include the cheapest housing that came up in the beginning of the search which were trailers (2 entire pages of them).

Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
You've always been getting the 516'ers. I didn't know Pequaman was moving to 631.

But you're also getting the 718'ers and upper upper 212'ers skipping straight over 516 to the more "affordable" 631 areas. Nassau has no homes below 6 figures, nor whole neighborhoods of cheap rental homes whose whole business philosophy is in accepting section 8. The "bottom" is more likely to skip over all of Nassau due to affordability issues, not perch themselves right over the Nassau/Queens border as you seem to think they do. The "bottom" cannot afford to. Look at the prices of homes, prices of real estate taxes, and lack of cheap rentals on the border of Nassau and Queens for evidence of that.
huh? I ain't moving to the 631 LOL. If I had to though, my limit would be the Sagtikos, Commack down to Babylon. That's my mason/dixon, but I think I'm gonna be a Pequan til I die. Idk, I think crooks needs to get out to Queens, and Manhattan more often. There's a ton to offer in some areas, even for a night out with the SO, offers a good change up. If I was going to bunker down and never leave RP, I would prob move to PA or some other state.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
... please find me some comparable values on the Nassau/Queens border for the dregs of NYC to live in:

ML#: 2285255
ML#: 2338758
ML#: 2308265
ML#: 2353321
ML#: 2241840
ML#: 2301591

Note: I did not even include the cheapest housing that came up in the beginning of the search which were trailers (2 entire pages of them).
Links are dead (F MLSLI) but Im not sure what youre point is?

We agree....Nassau looks cheap compared to NYC.
If I were looking to live near NYC on the cheap.I'd pick Nassau too.

But Id still prefer Bayside, Jamaica Estates, Douglaston, Bay Ridge, Park Slope etc etc etc.

I dont want to live near NYC...I dont even want to live near Massapequa.
We like what we have.
As you do too.

Tastes are always subjective.

Crooks

Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
I'd be inclined to consider Yaphank, the pea farm, or the county jail. If the question is basic survival, personal safety and socialized, (but institutional) security,
free medical care, affordable lodging, planned entertainment and good clean air set in a well established suburban setting, Yaphank might prove to be the ideal place.
Sometimes, sacrificing personal preferences as well as moral turpetude, is the key to successful living, regimentation truly has it's rewarding merit. You might be able
to land better than a two year engagement if you molest a child and get to live in one of those well outfitted trailers, which are reserved for the pedophiles and a fully
mixed bag of sex offenders, the paid utilities, maintenance and property tax abatements are awful tempting for those who are unable to make their ends meet and have
numbed or singed their lacking consciences, under the guise of basic survival.

I was unable to discern a relativity between the advantage or the disadvantage of selecting an ideal location for your relocation as based upon your lifestyle,
your vocation, and your financial status or those other factors which might help those others, as myself who're reading-in to your quest and offering messages or solutions
based in either a few practical, sarcastic or comical responses, and not seeking to offend you, I smoked a joint, opened a tall-boy, dropped a 10 mg Valium and after much
consideration, offered my two cents. Your problem today, is relocation. Mine is purely self indulgence, the tongue-in-cheek ,self entertainment that seems to come so naturally
to an old fool, getting the most of their optimum-on-line connection on a snowy December evening. But yes, I hope that we will always be friends in spite of my rantings.
Y'know, "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, oh Lord, don't let me be misunderstood"...

Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 PM

177 posts, read 470,919 times
Grey. Reasons - family and work

Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
huh? I ain't moving to the 631 LOL. If I had to though, my limit would be the Sagtikos, Commack down to Babylon. That's my mason/dixon, but I think I'm gonna be a Pequan til I die. Idk, I think crooks needs to get out to Queens, and Manhattan more often. There's a ton to offer in some areas, even for a night out with the SO, offers a good change up. If I was going to bunker down and never leave RP, I would prob move to PA or some other state.
Dude I'm born in Queens and in NYC every week.You need to get outta Pequa son.Lifes not an endurance contest.Youre free to leave at anytime.
Hell go to Babylon.
; )

Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Links are dead (F MLSLI) but Im not sure what youre point is?

We agree....Nassau looks cheap compared to NYC.
If I were looking to live near NYC on the cheap.I'd pick Nassau too.

But Id still prefer Bayside, Jamaica Estates, Douglaston, Bay Ridge, Park Slope etc etc etc.

I dont want to live near NYC...I dont even want to live near Massapequa.
We like what we have.
As you do too.

Tastes are always subjective.

Crooks
Go to MLSLI.com

On the right-hand side of the page choose "Start Your Search Here."

At the top of the right-hand side of the page there is a section entitled "Search by ML Number" ... copy and paste each number (excluding the ML) into that box and hit "Search." Then you will see what I am talking about in regards to housing prices of some areas in Suffolk whose depths Nassau cannot touch.

What I take issue with is your contention that the POOR of NYC (the "bottom" of the market as you call it) are moving to Nassau in DROVES and implying they are ruining the area and Nassau will not be worth a hill of beans soon.

Quote:
In in all fairness parts of it are way worse thank parts of NYC. Couple in the fact that the Rent is Too Damn High in NYC and the bottom is heading east to live on the cheap near the City.
That is not true. They are much more apt to move to Suffolk County than Nassau due to very low home prices if buying in some areas or, if renting, to neighborhoods that have been low rent Section 8 havens for generations.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dude I'm born in Queens and in NYC every week.You need to get outta Pequa son.Lifes not an endurance contest.Youre free to leave at anytime.
Hell go to Babylon.
; )
Exactly what I_LOVE wrote above this post ^^^^ and I was going by the thread you had with sean. //www.city-data.com/forum/17149548-post21.html
Most of Nassau (including Central Nassau) is a much better area than Suffolk, my2c.

Central Nassau Desirable areas with little crime and good SDs:
-Garden City, Mineola, Carle place, East Williston, williston park, Garden city park, Garden city south, franklin square, west hempstead, malverne, lynbrook, NHP, Floral pk, Levittown, North Wantagh, Salisbury, parts of Farmingdale & East Meadow, plainedge, No Massapequa, Plainview, herricks, bellerose, No VS, are probably 85% of Central nassau right there. Those towns blow away most of Suffolk TBH. Not a contest, just to inform you on it. The bad areas are few and far between and probably account for 20% of nassau. I would take any of those areas mentioned over almost the entire center cut of Suffolk , about half of SC (ridge, ronkoncockoma, farmville, Coram, selden, central icelip , mid island, deer park, , the danch, etc./

There are higher class people than us moving to Nassau & Suffolk from NYC. It's not all bad like you think it is. Not everyone from Queens is going to turn your town to elmont is what I'm saying. Peace.

Quote:
Go to MLSLI.com

What I take issue with is your contention that the POOR of NYC (the "bottom" of the market as you call it) are moving to Nassau in DROVES and implying they are ruining the area and Nassau will not be worth a hill of beans soon.

That is not true. They are much more apt to move to Suffolk County than Nassau due to very low home prices if buying in some areas or, if renting, to neighborhoods that have been low rent Section 8 havens for generations.
That's what I was trying to get at with Crooks. But he says he's in NYC every week, and told me to get out of pequa, so what do we know :/

Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Go to MLSLI.com

On the right-hand side of the page choose "Start Your Search Here."

At the top of the right-hand side of the page there is a section entitled "Search by ML Number" ... copy and paste each number (excluding the ML) into that box and hit "Search." Then you will see what I am talking about in regards to housing prices of some areas in Suffolk whose depths Nassau cannot touch.

What I take issue with is your contention that the POOR of NYC (the "bottom" of the market as you call it) are moving to the Nassau/Queens border in DROVES and implying they are ruining the area and Nassau will not be worth a hill of beans soon. That is not true. They are much more apt to move to Suffolk County due to very low prices in some areas.
...or you could just use Realtor next time.
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh LI.

As for your point, its because of its proximity to NYC.

Do you really think a crappy Hiranch on 40x100 would be worth a half mil and 14k in taxes it wasnt near NYC? Cmon.

All Im saying is that Nassau is a steal compared to Queens and those who are priced out that need to be near nyc are moving in on the cheap.Suffolk will always be less than Nassau.
Unless of course it turns into Queens

I think were going in circles now and Im pretty sure we agree on more than not.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island