Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

electric space heaters a joke. totally useless for anything other than a bathroom, i don't care what the box says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:48 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
YOu'd be talking minimal savings at best - seriously. Not worth the possible hazzards involved. Eventually your children will become mobile so even if it were feasible, it's a short term solution at best. Better to spend some money up front on insulation and/or new windows. And if you can do 2 zones, even better.

BTW if you bundle your kids up for bed you can go lower than 67 - even to 65 - it's better for them ... put some undershirts on under their sleeper pajamas. Use the footed sleepers. I know it's hard to keep blankets on them at that age. Use a humidifier to make the air moist and retain some heat. I just bought Walgreen's own brand humidifiers for my kids' rooms and they are the best brand I've ever used.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
YOu'd be talking minimal savings at best - seriously. Not worth the possible hazzards involved. Eventually your children will become mobile so even if it were feasible, it's a short term solution at best. Better to spend some money up front on insulation and/or new windows. And if you can do 2 zones, even better.

BTW if you bundle your kids up for bed you can go lower than 67 - even to 65 - it's better for them ... put some undershirts on under their sleeper pajamas. Use the footed sleepers. I know it's hard to keep blankets on them at that age. Use a humidifier to make the air moist and retain some heat. I just bought Walgreen's own brand humidifiers for my kids' rooms and they are the best brand I've ever used.
Thats the way to go, drop the temp and layer the pj's.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
To the OP what type of heating system do you have?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM

208 posts, read 913,397 times
Hot water system 2 zones unfortunately one zone is the basement and the other zone is the entire first floor (it's a ranch).

I am in the process of replacing the bedroom radiators with cast iron and I thinks its made a difference in my son's room which is the coldest room in the house.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Why not just another zone for the bedrooms. This way you will have the bedrooms and the rest of the house on their own zone. Keep you bedroom zones at 64 deg. at night and let the house zone drop down to 58.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM

292 posts, read 819,929 times
I hope you're turning the basement heat way down at night.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:28 PM

What is the insulation value in your roof? Do you know how many inches thick it is? You may need to start there for efficiency.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Why not just another zone for the bedrooms. This way you will have the bedrooms and the rest of the house on their own zone. Keep you bedroom zones at 64 deg. at night and let the house zone drop down to 58.
how involved is it to do that and at what cost?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
What is the insulation value in your roof? Do you know how many inches thick it is? You may need to start there for efficiency.
don't know the r value off hand, but I know there is a good 3 or so inches up there. I'm sure I could probably put some more up there, but I don't think that's the problem. It's more likely the walls and my windows that need some help. I'm doing things little by little to shore everything up. This winter it's cast iron radiators. Next year I'll do insulation, then whenever I have some disposable income laying around (probably like never) I'll work on the windows. I have cellular blinds on all my windows, man what a difference they make, it's like opening a window when you pull them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island