Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 39,580 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I recently moved into a house together. He signed a contract with an oil company and in the contract we get an annual oil burner service/cleaning. The first one was this morning and there was a rather awkward exchange at the end when the man was leaving. Now we're both wondering if we were supposed to tip him. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Um, no. Awkward how?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
You never have to tip, but if you think he deserved one then by all means. I tip just about everyone who comes to my home and does work, even if it's only five bucks for coffee.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 PM

41 posts, read 178,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneGirl View Post
My boyfriend and I recently moved into a house together. He signed a contract with an oil company and in the contract we get an annual oil burner service/cleaning. The first one was this morning and there was a rather awkward exchange at the end when the man was leaving. Now we're both wondering if we were supposed to tip him. Any thoughts?
***the following comments do not apply to waitstaff or other occupations where tips are expected and considered by the IRS to be part of their regular income***

If the technician provided exceptional service, tip.

If the technician came to your house during extreme weather conditions, tip.

If the appointment was an emergency or scheduled during unusual hours (between 7pm and 7am), tip.

If you caused the technician to spend extra time because you were unprepared (say, there were 3 old couches blocking the boiler), tip.

Otherwise, tipping is not warranted. Tipping is not required. Tipping exists to recognize exceptional service. If you did not receive exceptional service, no need to tip.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 39,580 times
Thanks for all your help! I feel bad now because he was really nice.

@twingles - it was just a little awkward because he was standing in the living room with us not saying anything. My boyfriend offered him tea, water, etc. but he just stood there looking at us. We're new to homeownership and all the etiquette that goes along with it. We're learning as we go

Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneGirl View Post
Thanks for all your help! I feel bad now because he was really nice.

@twingles - it was just a little awkward because he was standing in the living room with us not saying anything. My boyfriend offered him tea, water, etc. but he just stood there looking at us. We're new to homeownership and all the etiquette that goes along with it. We're learning as we go

No need to feel bad. Does anyone tip you for doing your salaried job?

Next time you'll know - when the guy says he's done - you just keep moving to the front door as you make small talk. Like pp said - no need for tipping unless it's late at night etc. He IS getting paid.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM

55 posts, read 160,109 times
I've been a homeowner for 12 years now with oil contracts and never once have I tipped the service techs and never once have they ever given any hint of looking for one. Sounds unusual to me.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Friend of mine is an oil tech. He said he never expects tips nor does he encourage them.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM

88 posts, read 249,165 times
I have to agree with GPSMA- my relative owned a small oil company and he never accepted tips nor were the service techs allowed to accept cash.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
I am an appliance technician. I make house calls all day every day. I never expect a tip. If someone gives me one I'll accept it, but it's NEVER expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island