Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I thought most catholics were poor on Long Island.
WTF? What a nonsense statement. Are you 12?
Quote:
And I cant understand how the HS sports culture is still prevalent in so many schools.
really? Are you serious with this?
Quote:
With all the junior, AAU, and interstate games going on, you are now being compared nationwide. So unless Chaminade is nationally ranked in anything, what is the point of thinking you are all that. If you aren't being looked at by the next level since you are at least a sophomore, you are basically nothing.
you're conflating several different things here. The vast majority of kids that play high school sports will not play in college - does that mean they should all just quit playing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:16 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
WTF? What a nonsense statement. Are you 12?

really? Are you serious with this?

you're conflating several different things here. The vast majority of kids that play high school sports will not play in college - does that mean they should all just quit playing?
You have to look at these things in relative terms. And I don't mean for kids to stop playing sports altogether.

See way back when most people did not even think about college, HS sports is basically all they had. You can literally be sports legend in your town. At some point these HS jocks started going to college, but they obviously were not good enough to play for the school team. They most likely continued with intramurals, or recreation, but long gone was this attitude of superiority, or this cliquish culture based on jockishness because, well obviously, these HS jocks are now scrubs.

So as our culture has evolved, more and more HS students including jocks are basically going to be going to college no matter what. It kind of makes being the best at something in your HS look irrelevant.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM

215 posts, read 248,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
See way back when most people did not even think about college
Like way back when this thread was started 5 years ago?

Last edited by 1174Sixer; 03-16-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
Default applicants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147446 View Post
If you want the best education you can get with a great sense of school spirit and religious aspects send your son to Chaminade, if he's lucky enough to get in.
Current student
Which attributes, in addition to a high score on the exam, do you believe support a strong application to Chaminade?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
My son is in middle school and we are looking at Catholic high schools for him, including Chaminade. I attended Catholic high school and it was a great experience. However, while we are Christian, we are not Catholic.

Chaminade's website says they give priority to Catholic applicants, and some things I see online say that they don't accept any non-Catholics at all.

So, not being Catholic, should I not even bother with Chaminade? Or do they actually accept non-Catholics?

Old 09-16-2018, 01:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy9801 View Post
My son is in middle school and we are looking at Catholic high schools for him, including Chaminade. I attended Catholic high school and it was a great experience. However, while we are Christian, we are not Catholic.

Chaminade's website says they give priority to Catholic applicants, and some things I see online say that they don't accept any non-Catholics at all.

So, not being Catholic, should I not even bother with Chaminade? Or do they actually accept non-Catholics?

I do not know Chaminade's policy regarding non-Catholics. For what it's worth, have you investigated Long Island Lutheran (LuHi)? They start at 6th grade through 12th and they certainly accept enrollees of all religions and Christian denominations.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy9801 View Post

In the old days, they did accept other faiths. I believe now it is Catholic only due to the enormous amount of qualified applicants.

Shoot an email to the principal, may help that you are an alumni.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Shoot an email to the principal, may help that you are an alumni.
And as long as they open their checkbook, I'm sure something can be worked out.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
And as long as they open their checkbook, I'm sure something can be worked out.
Nope, not there. Money is not an issue there........generous alumni with a bunch of big hitters.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Nope, not there. Money is not an issue there........generous alumni with a bunch of big hitters.
Oh I know...I'm an alumni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island