Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times

Advertisements

moving south= BAHMFF

Bored as Hell Miss Family Friends

seen it too many times

Pequa D'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
moving south= BAHMFF

seen it too many times

Pequa D'
Nah, not that bad. Don't miss the drama of Nassau County politics for one thing, or the taxes for another.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 23,914 times
I moved to LI last month after residing in FL the last 23 years. Many of the comments here lump all of Florida together, thats about the same as saying Long Island, Bronx, Boston all the same. Florida is huge and differs greatly from area to area.

Im sure many people leave Florida after realizing they miss family and friends so much. I feel the same way about living on LI, but Im here for work for just a couple years and can't leave just yet but very much looking forward to getting back to Florida.

Why?
Your local government here is out of control, they have their hands deep into your wallet, I can't believe LIlanaders tolerate this. Generally your roads are in terrible shape although the major parkways aren't to bad. So far the wx here has sucked but I've only been here a month so thats not really fair. Ive noticed the beach in Long Beach is about 25% broken glass. You all know thats not normal right?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM

305 posts, read 610,853 times
Why?
Your local government here is out of control, they have their hands deep into your wallet, I can't believe LIlanaders tolerate this. Generally your roads are in terrible shape although the major parkways aren't to bad. So far the wx here has sucked but I've only been here a month so thats not really fair. Ive noticed the beach in Long Beach is about 25% broken glass. You all know thats not normal right?[/quote]

Yes it is. It's called beach glass and people collect it.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
moving south= BAHMFF
No, not really. Plenty of people from Long Island love the South.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 PM

324 posts, read 335,215 times
Quote:
moving south= BAHMFF

seen it too many times

Pequa D'
I agree, I've seen it many times as well. It seems like it happens that way more often than not.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
we left LI and are living in FL... need to make some big decisions and would like to read some experiences other people have had. thanks!

I also left LI, and moved to FL, my experience was that FL was nice, but it was not home.

I felt like a fish out of water, and honestly I found FL companies to be very unprofessional. I can't tell you how many interviews I went on and was told "so you are a yankee?

With 25 years accounting, I would have thought my experience would have taken president over that. I can remember interviewing with a company. The interviewer was 1.5 hours late and when she finally came in to meet with me. She took one look at me and said " Oh, are you Nadine? I said yes it is nice to meet you, and went to extend my hand, she pulled away and said "you are black". She then went on to say I never thought about hiring a black person before.

Needless to say I didnt take the job.

There was some positives as well, but I just didnt want to feel like I always had to look over my shoulders. My hubby is an cop, and even with the officers in FL I came across allot of double standards.

I have finally moved back home to NY LI and I cant tell you how much that means to me.

I spent 5 years in the South just trying to keep a roof over my head. I think I go suck in with the big houses in FL and the nice ammenities, swimming pools, tennis courts, golf courses... ect... but I found out the COL wasnt that cheap once you count in food, gas , and electric.

I am glad to be home, I cant believe I went through so much and made it to the other side -but I have and I thank God

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

12 posts, read 30,152 times
been in sw fla. since 86 hated it since 89 .would move back to massapequa in a heart beat if I could afford it. moved here for the low taxes. lol. between the ad valorem , city, county taxes it,s almost the same as oyster bay.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM

185 posts, read 457,559 times
Quote:
moving south= BAHMFF

Pequa D'
This is my sentiments about NY. BAHMFF. Most of my family and all of my friends are back in Florida.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM

79 posts, read 290,083 times
OK I would like to chime in on my experience..
I was born and raised in West Islip . I went to Dowling and recieved my Bachelors. It was hard to find a good paying job so that I could start a family and buy a meager home. I moved to Florida, got a good paying job and started a family and built our home. After a few years, 6... I wanted my family to expereince what I experienced growing up,(which doesnt exist anymore) so we moved back with a job for Suffolk County DPW. Turned out the home we were going to buy was a relative's who passed away ( a Levitt Cape Model for over 300k with 10k taxes) built in 1951..our home we built in Florida in 2004 was AWESOME. and sold it for a profit 180k and sold for 350k..got lucky.
Anyhow when we finally arrived on Long island in the house, I spent over 15k in renoing,which made almost no difference it still was needing ALOT and still it just wasnt anywhere the quality of FL housing. Besides that Suffolk county started the hiring freeze, and there you go couldnt find a good job.. sp we moved back to Florida and got our old jobs back... Weve been here since 2007 and live in Naples FL, which is a 9 out of 10. The only issue I have is the schools..but you can put them in private schools, ..Like another poster said its all about whats important to you..if you have kids... get them out of NY and FL...spread your wings
FOR US...
1. Florida is geared for OLDER retirees...
2. Younger under 50 people are treated as second class...
3. Most of FL is pretty nice and clean... unlike NY....
4. BAD schools in FL, but honestly NY schools are filled with drugs like anywhere else.
5. Raise your children on LI, if you can afford it, but what do you give up to pay those expenses?but when the kids grow up , will they have to move to find jobs?
6. The nastolgic Long Island only lives in our memories,,, the island has changed drastically(and you can only see it after you MOVE)
7. If I won the LOTTO, I would move my family to the North Fork and own a few acres next to a winerie.
8. Reality... spread your wings... There are more places than LONG ISLAND and FLORIDA..watch out for tunnel vision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island