Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM

62 posts, read 240,052 times

Advertisements

Totally, TOTALLY off-topic -- but is anyone here old enough to remember doing the "Chicken Fat" exercise routine in school?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Thanks for the reply LIPumpkin - I'm sure the Bronx is beautiful at this time of year!!!

LOL not really. I teach in the south Bronx and you can't even tell spring is coming because there's no grass or trees, haha. If anything, the smell of the garbage gets worse as it gets warmer

Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
Totally, TOTALLY off-topic -- but is anyone here old enough to remember doing the "Chicken Fat" exercise routine in school?
Yes!

Here's a link to the song:
http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/DP/2003/10...hicken-fat.mp3

Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 AM

248 posts, read 873,282 times
Haha..I DO remember the Chicken Fat...Rachael, I do know what you are talking about in the Bronx..he loves it, there's a pot for every lid, as they say...as for the small schools, it is a bit on the not so smart side, but that's NYC schools sometimes...I know you know Rach...

Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
LOL not really. I teach in the south Bronx and you can't even tell spring is coming because there's no grass or trees, haha. If anything, the smell of the garbage gets worse as it gets warmer
It is quite plain, if you walk along the Grand Concourse.

The Bronx, generally, is a great place to observe Nature. I've seen Wood Ducks, and Great Horned Owls. Not far from my workplace, I saw a Goshawk. Nature is everywhere.

Though I doubt any of this is of interest to the LIer. Mainly what I've observed there is the Small Brained Mall Booby - Burboidicus imbecilicus.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,482 times
Default Where does Spartan live?

Just curious as to where Spartan185 lives?

There are amazing areas on long island and I'm unsure where he/she lived on long island?

Has spartan ever visited queens? Houses are more expensive in most areas in queens (for what you get that is) and trust me the commute to NYC is great but you live on a postage stamp and you can touch your neighbor through your bedroom window. Try buying a house in Whitestone, Flushing, Bayside, Douglaston?

Oh and any suggestions on where there are good schools, great shopping, dining, clean streets, low crime, and close proximity to NYC?
Or did you just feel like having a LI bashing session to feel better about your day? I noticed that you didn't disclose where you moved to get out of this horrible place?

just curious. Inquiring minds want to know where this Fabulous place is that you call home.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandGal View Post
Just curious as to where Spartan185 lives?

There are amazing areas on long island and I'm unsure where he/she lived on long island?

Has spartan ever visited queens? Houses are more expensive in most areas in queens (for what you get that is) and trust me the commute to NYC is great but you live on a postage stamp and you can touch your neighbor through your bedroom window. Try buying a house in Whitestone, Flushing, Bayside, Douglaston?

Oh and any suggestions on where there are good schools, great shopping, dining, clean streets, low crime, and close proximity to NYC?
Or did you just feel like having a LI bashing session to feel better about your day? I noticed that you didn't disclose where you moved to get out of this horrible place?

just curious. Inquiring minds want to know where this Fabulous place is that you call home.
you go gal............lol!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandGal View Post

Or did you just feel like having a LI bashing session to feel better about your day?

What else are you excuses for human beings good for?

Don't forget: YOU LOVE LI. STAY ON LI. DON'T COME TO NEW YORK. It's icky and dangerous and has no shopping malls. Burboids clutter up my city and are only welcome as mugging victims.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
It is quite plain, if you walk along the Grand Concourse.

The Bronx, generally, is a great place to observe Nature. I've seen Wood Ducks, and Great Horned Owls. Not far from my workplace, I saw a Goshawk. Nature is everywhere.

Though I doubt any of this is of interest to the LIer. Mainly what I've observed there is the Small Brained Mall Booby - Burboidicus imbecilicus.

The school I teach at is basically right beside the Grand Concourse. I was teaching birds to my kids and we went for a bird walk around the play yard. There were hardly any. You can't teach animals too well in the Bronx since I can't take them anywhere to go look at them. Good thing we're going on a field trip to the zoo soon.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 14,111 times
I've lived all over the metro area. Outside of going upstate, LI is the best nature area. Just because you want to focus on Roosevelt Field Mall doesn't mean all the state parks aren't active.

I spent a lot of time when I was young in the Bronx (family), and still do. I'd love if it was as nature-y as LI, but it's not. I'd also love if my midtown office and former apt nearby had some Central Park-like spots, but it doesn't. So I move back to LI, and yet, somehow, I'm not compelled to go to a mall. I guess I haven't drank the water long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island