Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Good. Stay on Dung Island.

Dung Island babes are wonderful at sneering and finding fault. Perhaps, someday, they'll learn to do something else.
This thread has long since taken a weird turn and has steadily moved away from topic. However I don't get the bile being spewed in posts such as this one.

Long Island is expensive, too expensive and more importantly disproportionately expensive but it offers a tremendous way of life. Dedalus often describes the many connections to nature he's found in the Bronx which are both interesting and surprising. But if that's your thing then there's no comparing the Bronx to Long Island. Long Island has way more to offer in regards to wildlife and protected areas, beaches, nature trails etc.

We moved away from Long Island because the cost of living skyrocketed past where it made sense for us to stay. But that was it, the sole reason for our leaving. Almost everything bad about our many years there somehow involved financial matters (e.g. taxes, utilities, materialism etc.). Beyond the money thing it was a great, great, great place to live and raise a family. Beyond the money thing.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,999,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This thread has long since taken a weird turn and has steadily moved away from topic. However I don't get the bile being spewed in posts such as this one.

Long Island is expensive, too expensive and more importantly disproportionately expensive but it offers a tremendous way of life. Dedalus often describes the many connections to nature he's found in the Bronx which are both interesting and surprising. But if that's your thing then there's no comparing the Bronx to Long Island. Long Island has way more to offer in regards to wildlife and protected areas, beaches, nature trails etc.

We moved away from Long Island because the cost of living skyrocketed past where it made sense for us to stay. But that was it, the sole reason for our leaving. Almost everything bad about our many years there somehow involved financial matters (e.g. taxes, utilities, materialism etc.). Beyond the money thing it was a great, great, great place to live and raise a family. Beyond the money thing.

While these days I'm so anti Long Island I can agree with you on this post.

BUt.. as much as money isn't important.. cost of living really does equate to quality of the living. Simpy because a place offers so much doesn't make it of quality.. because if you cna't even enjoy what is surrounding you because of the cost of living (ie: working so much just to keep up etc.).. there is no poin. There is beauty elsewhere where the cost of living isn't so high .. as I'm sure you have found out when you left.

All of LI's problems are tied to economy. The government, as I mentioned in another post a few pages back, is full of nepotism, favoritism and lawmakers putting the screws to an already financially strapped island by raping us of our tax paying money. Everyday it's another scandal uncovered that goes back a lot further than just last year or last week. In addition, we're all so worried about "local" control we've governed ourselves (well not we.. as this came about hwile I was still a kid) to tax oblivion with a districts, sub districts, village ...well you get the idea here. We also are so dang snooty about our schools we've allowed the many small SB to have all the control.. well wait. actually I should say that the teachers union is in control here. Becaues they have all the power and the little fragmented towns and SB have no negotiation power.. but god forbid you bring up consolidation and it's like you're a witch that needs to be burned at the stake.

LI has many problems and until everyone wakes up and stops with the "it's so great" people will continue to use that to take advantage.. paying more for something doesn't make it better! I've realized that.. and I'll be gone from here when I can. .. .unless by some miracle LI cleans itself up..but highly unlikely atleast in our lifetime!!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,123,612 times
This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island