Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,658 times

Advertisements

my old commute was 50-70 minutes from Ridge to Massapequa, generally on the LIE on the HOV lane (prius owner) to the Sag to Southern State to Broadway. It was a drag, all 46 miles each way.
For just over a year I've been working Ridge-so its 6 minutes from my house to my office.
LOVE IT!
I also own a consulting firm & when I go out to see clients I try to avoid rush hour & I travel as far as the five boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack50 View Post
Stop telling people about hunterspoint ave!!!
doh

Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
10-15 minutes to Hauppauge, any of 5 different routes depending on how bored I am....town line road, motor parkway, Vets Highway,Smithtown Blvd, or heaven forbid, the LIE.
Yeah agreed, LIE is the worst of those !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
my old commute was 50-70 minutes from Ridge to Massapequa, generally on the LIE on the HOV lane (prius owner) to the Sag to Southern State to Broadway. It was a drag, all 46 miles each way.
For just over a year I've been working Ridge-so its 6 minutes from my house to my office.
LOVE IT!
I also own a consulting firm & when I go out to see clients I try to avoid rush hour & I travel as far as the five boroughs.
Kelly,
Enjoy it. What do you do with all the free time now ? LOL !!
I know as much as people want to travel to great lengths to work, I think the long commute gets to you after a while, so the QOL actually goes downhill. Anything under 30 mins should be acceptable, unfortunately its not a realistic expectation in the major metros anywhere in the world.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Used to take me about 35-40 minutes to go from Garden City to Farmingdale. There is no good way to make that commute and I don't miss it one bit.
Best commute ever for me - Garden City to the Omni Building in Uniondale.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I knew you would post here to gloat LOL !!
Heh! Depends on your perspective. I don't miss commuting, but I do miss Monday morning quarterbacking.

There are times when I do have to schlep into the city, in which case it's about an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours door-to-door depending on where I'm going and what time of day I go. I try to schedule meetings for 11:00 a.m. to avoid the crunches in both directions (and because people tend not to waste time on tangents when their lunch hour is coming up). For one thing, if you get to the Ronkonkoma train station in time for the 9:11 to the city and have to buy a ticket, add 10 minutes right there considering where you end up parking.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
For one thing, if you get to the Ronkonkoma train station in time for the 9:11 to the city and have to buy a ticket, add 10 minutes right there considering where you end up parking.
No kidding.... pretty soon the parking will expand from Ronkonkoma west to merge with the Central Islip park and ride.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:15 PM

131 posts, read 300,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Did I say I jam on my brake? No, I purposely drive the speed limit when a late jerk is behind me. 30mph..not a mile slower, unless conditions call for it, and certainly not a mile faster. I can't help it if some people can't manage their morning time better but I can manage that, if they drive behind me, that we all obey the speed limit...train or no train.
You live four minutes from the train station as per your earlier post. What if someone living 20 minutes from the station happens to be stuck in a traffic jam and has to make up for lost time by, dare I say, going 35-40MPH. Now, you are interfering with someone's ability to make a living.....proud of yourself? If you want to drive at your AARP card suggested speeds, do not impose that on others.

I hope someone catches and eats your cockatoo for Thanksgiving 2011.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Massapequa Park Village is very walkable (1-5 minutes) to the station (Park Blvd & Sunrise), driving 2-8 minutes tops. A lot of people use Park blvd as a shortcut though, so if he's coming from south Mass park, he could be pissing some people off . He's right though, there's kids crossing allover the blvd to get to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
It's not an excuse, it's an actual fact of reality. I'm sure there are those who live outside of your 8 minute zone to/from the Massapequa Park train station who go there.

For someone who opposes Teachers (civil servant's) excessive salary increases (which I agree with you on strongly), you are going to borrow their argument and state that you are driving like the average senior "for the children"? Please..
Attached Thumbnails
What are your average commute times to and fro from work ?-massapequa-park-village.gif  

Old 01-07-2011, 03:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Please get back on topic.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Before I retired I lived 5 minutes walk from my job. I had my home rented out 2,500 miles away and deliberately kept my commute to a minimum (I could see my office from the living room window).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island