Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 PM

68 posts, read 421,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMR View Post
I graduated from Baldwin HS 25 years ago. In a class of over 650 students there were about 30 people of color, if that many, and I certainly don't consider that diverse. I am well aware of the current state of affairs in Baldwin and it's not nearly as bad as you've characterized it. Call it what you want but I've lived long enough to know that when folks talk about how a neighborhood has "changed for the worse" it means only one thing...all or most of the white people are gone! No matter what changes take place in a white neighborhood, as long as it remains predominantly white, it's still considered a "nice place to live." Take any predominantly white town with the same socioeconomic makeup as Baldwin, in 2007, and it would probably rank among the top 10 best places to live in the nation!
Regardless of the exact time and date, if you're such an expert on Baldwin you will have to agree that Baldwin has been a diverse area for some time now. And why do you assume that "changes for the worse" refers to black people? The gangs infiltrating into Baldwin are MS 13, a Salvadoran gang, amongst other idiotic trouble makers. I was neighbors with blacks, hispanics, asians when I lived in North Baldwin. My chidren played with their children. They were welcome in my home. Something changed within the past few years. People perceive that things are getting bad and move. It's not only white people moving. I know black families that have or are planning to move out of Baldwin because they don't like the direction it's moving in. The people moving out are sometimes replaced by people who lack respect for the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 12,291 times
Here's what I love about this whole thing. Whether you like it or not, Baldwin is on the list. What this means is that Nassau County will probably start allocating additional funds into the areas that need improvement. In addition, we have Best Buy moving in on Sunrise Hwy. What I anticipate happening is that other big businesses will start moving in. I think Baldwin was seen for it's potential and it's proximity to the city, beaches, museums, home prices, etc. Sure, Muttontown should be on the list, but who can really afford 4 million dollars for a home. Let's be realistic. Baldwin is up and coming. I'll give it another 5 years for you to eat your words.

My car was broken into twice at the LIRR parking lot. But the baldwin police did and continue to do nothing to deter these crimes from happening. I think Baldwin has one police officer, b/c it's the same officer that i continually see in the neighborhood. Therefore, how easy would it be for those to come from other towns, to commit these crimes in Baldwin, just b/c it's so easy. As for the crime let us blame Nassau County for not allocating enough of our tax dollars towards a competent and reliable Law Enforcement Team. Things are going to change now that Baldwin is recognised for it's potential.

To those of you that "grew up" in and "live in" Baldwin, have some faith. WHY DONT YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE, INSTEAD OF WHINING ABOUT WHAT YOU VIEW AS THE "PROBLEMS".
Also, about the shopping carts chained. All Pathmark Supermarkets chain their shopping carts. I grew up in Kew Gardents which is predominantely Jewish/and they also had chains on the carts.. SO THAT'S NOT A VALID POINT.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM

7,880 posts, read 9,073,872 times
Baldwin was chosen merely because Money magazine decided this year to include diversity as one of its qualifications. I have a copy of the magazine in front of me. it gives Baldwin an A in leisure/arts A in education A+ in diversity B in jobs, C in home affordability. I'm no rocket scientist, but I still don't see how that equals 25th best place in the US. Did they just throw a dart at a map of LI?
Any museums in Baldwin? Are the schools in the top 10-20% of schools as an A grade should indicate? I don't think it is in the top 10% of schools in Nassau!
Baldwin isn't Compton by any means, but it also isn't the 25th best place in the US by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,107,886 times
Interesting that diversity is a big deal. Here in #66 we have quite a bit of racial diversity (whites, blacks, Indians, rednecks) but we're not economically diverse. (middle class to upper middle class with a smattering of plain old rich)

Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM

170 posts, read 875,177 times
Default That would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygirl View Post
Here's what I love about this whole thing. Whether you like it or not, Baldwin is on the list. What this means is that Nassau County will probably start allocating additional funds into the areas that need improvement. In addition, we have Best Buy moving in on Sunrise Hwy. What I anticipate happening is that other big businesses will start moving in. I think Baldwin was seen for it's potential and it's proximity to the city, beaches, museums, home prices, etc. Sure, Muttontown should be on the list, but who can really afford 4 million dollars for a home. Let's be realistic. Baldwin is up and coming. I'll give it another 5 years for you to eat your words.

My car was broken into twice at the LIRR parking lot. But the baldwin police did and continue to do nothing to deter these crimes from happening. I think Baldwin has one police officer, b/c it's the same officer that i continually see in the neighborhood. Therefore, how easy would it be for those to come from other towns, to commit these crimes in Baldwin, just b/c it's so easy. As for the crime let us blame Nassau County for not allocating enough of our tax dollars towards a competent and reliable Law Enforcement Team. Things are going to change now that Baldwin is recognised for it's potential.

To those of you that "grew up" in and "live in" Baldwin, have some faith. WHY DONT YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE, INSTEAD OF WHINING ABOUT WHAT YOU VIEW AS THE "PROBLEMS".
Also, about the shopping carts chained. All Pathmark Supermarkets chain their shopping carts. I grew up in Kew Gardents which is predominantely Jewish/and they also had chains on the carts.. SO THAT'S NOT A VALID POINT.
Jennygirl,
Good point, hopefully Baldwin will get the help it needs to refresh the town. Hopefully things will change for the better but in MY OPINION it will take a lot longer than five years. As far as the shopping carts, the crime as you just said goes far beyond that. I had no idea that Pathmark does that at all of its stores. That only started in Baldwin in the late 90's, but you must admit that is a little bizzare. You know we all have opionions and view things differently and just because you may not agree with my views or others it is no reason to refer to people who have views that are different than yours as Hitlers. Just curious why did you leave Kew Gardens for Baldwin???

Fallgirl

Old 07-20-2007, 02:06 PM

106 posts, read 576,761 times
I think a person that comes and checks out Baldwin because it was named the 25th Best Place to Live in America by Money Magazine would be shocked...I would be...when I think of an ideal place to live I envision beauty, charm, great old homes, great community, maybe lakes, ponds, throw in a mountain perhaps...no way do I think of a busy street like Sunrise Highway, the Coral House, and developments consisting of splits and high ranches...25th in America, NO WAY!!!! i say fire those editors....

Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,480,051 times
Why do you think Money Magazine added "diversity" as a criteria?

Still Do not know.

Simple. Money magazine has been putting out this list for some time now. However, with consistency. the top places are always some of the whitest places in America. In order to get some "diverse" places up on the list the criteria had to be changed. In this case "diversity" itself earned a place some extra points. Think of it as Affirmative Action for a whole community.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,005 times
Hey, all you haters - stop raining on my parade! Sorry your towns aren't on the list but it is what it is. Whenever lists like this come out, such as rating the top 100 athletes of all time, there is obviously room for debate. However, what I am not hearing is why other towns should be ahead of Baldwin based on the magazines criteria. Comments tend to be, "It's not the same town that I grew up in". Well, what town is? This is an island and as the poplulation grows (and changes) there is a limited amount of expansion that can occur. My hometown has become so yuppified it's completely lost it's charm - you have to be an investment banker to live there now. It might be a little unsettling for some folks to see the demographics change in certain places but this is something we have to get used to. (The comment regarding "hippies" and diversity is unfair - can't one find diversity a positive trait without being a hippie?) Baldwin is solidly middle class. The experience we have had with the grade and middle schools have been good - I am concerned with some things I have heard about the high school but again, Babylon High is certainly not the same as when I went there. My wife and I would also like to see less dry cleaners and 99 cent stores along Grand Ave - we could use a book store and some cafes (too many empty stores as well). We were supposed to get Nunley's Carousel but for some reason that fell through. (Turn off Grand Ave and you will see many nice houses.) The park has great programs and when we've needed to call emergency services they have gotten here within minutes. I haven't been held up or robbed but the truth is gang activity in the area (not just Baldwin) is an issue. We are close to the beaches and a short train ride to NYC. There is certainly room for improvement in some areas but for a young couple buying our first house (8 years ago) I think we did pretty well.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:39 PM

7,880 posts, read 9,073,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdawg View Post
Hey, all you haters - stop raining on my parade! Sorry your towns aren't on the list but it is what it is. Whenever lists like this come out, such as rating the top 100 athletes of all time, there is obviously room for debate. However, what I am not hearing is why other towns should be ahead of Baldwin based on the magazines criteria. Comments tend to be, "It's not the same town that I grew up in". Well, what town is? This is an island and as the poplulation grows (and changes) there is a limited amount of expansion that can occur. My hometown has become so yuppified it's completely lost it's charm - you have to be an investment banker to live there now. It might be a little unsettling for some folks to see the demographics change in certain places but this is something we have to get used to. (The comment regarding "hippies" and diversity is unfair - can't one find diversity a positive trait without being a hippie?) Baldwin is solidly middle class. The experience we have had with the grade and middle schools have been good - I am concerned with some things I have heard about the high school but again, Babylon High is certainly not the same as when I went there. My wife and I would also like to see less dry cleaners and 99 cent stores along Grand Ave - we could use a book store and some cafes (too many empty stores as well). We were supposed to get Nunley's Carousel but for some reason that fell through. (Turn off Grand Ave and you will see many nice houses.) The park has great programs and when we've needed to call emergency services they have gotten here within minutes. I haven't been held up or robbed but the truth is gang activity in the area (not just Baldwin) is an issue. We are close to the beaches and a short train ride to NYC. There is certainly room for improvement in some areas but for a young couple buying our first house (8 years ago) I think we did pretty well.
If you must include diversity (and not just black) as a prerequisite for best place to live, I would nominate Greenport, New Hyde Park, Mineola, Glen Cove, Bayside, Cambria Heights, Herricks, and Glen Oaks as being better than Baldwin.
Changing demographics for most people on the receiving side of the change has mostly not been positive. Very few areas following demographic changes have actually improved in terms of quality of life, hence the negative perception.
It's nice to hear that you are happy in Baldwin and it is a good fit for you. But in all honesty, do you really think Baldwin is better than all of the areas listed above or the towns listed lower on Money Magazine's list?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,401,907 times
25th best place to live???? You can gladly have it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island