Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 PM

222 posts, read 892,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
Baldwin isn't that bad. Yeah it used to be better. But it seems to be making a turn for the better. Rather live there than levittown, westbury, or any place between the southern state and the northern state. As for gangs, kids always fight, but when there black or latin its a BAD gang. The white boys were brawling back in the day but no one
cared.
Westbury is no Levittown. Take a quick drive down Post ave to jericho tnpk and compare that to grand ave. I know Baldwin quite well, and while it has nice sections, overall their is an inconsistent feel when it comes to home upkeep, with the exception of Baldwin Harbor. I almost bought there, but the properties were to close together (60x100). Unless you're going to be on the water, I can show you developments in Westbury Village or Salisbury much nicer than Baldwin. Northern Westbury (and its developments) have a much more suburban feel...probably has to do with it's bordering on Old Westbury. Much more consistency in it's upkeep across the board.

i'm not saying that Baldwin is bad, but don't use my village as a stool to prop-up your area---especially when I know both areas very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
Default Baldwin

Whats not to like about Baldwin. We moved to Baldwin 2 years ago and love it. All the people out there who are afraid of a little diversity are not living in the real world. Come out of your cocoon and visit with us for a while.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Baldwin is great, worked there for years right on Grand Ave. Think it's great that so many people who live there came to it's defense in this thread, speaks a lot of the community. At the same time, I think it's ridiculous that there's only supposed to be 24 places better to live IN AMERICA but hey...

On my own personal list, Baldwin would be very high!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 20,428 times
baldwin is beautiful maily by the water , silver lake oceanside school district are

Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,464 times
I think this thread needs to be brought up again. I am renting an apartment on merrick road. The apartment is really nice. The building is upkept and there is a beautiful park steps away. I don't think it could be as bad as everyone is saying. I spoke to some people who live there or who knwe the area better than I did before making the decision to move there and they said it was fine. Maybe don't go near certain parts of grand ave. and that was it!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM

40 posts, read 104,805 times
I think we need to write the editor a letter. My mom lived in Baldwin for several years. Scary and run down place. someone was always getting knifed/robbed/shot.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,464 times
It was probaly up north near roosevelt. That is not a nice area. Less than a block away is oceanside and RVC and it is so beautiful there! It just depends on where you are.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 11,731 times
I've lived in Baldwin for 7yr - we recently moved to a bigger house less than 3 blocks away from the first one. I love it here and drove my Realtor crazy with my insistence on staying in the same elementary school because my daughter is thriving there and my older son can't wait to start K in the fall. I have a terrific preschool with very reasonable tuition close by which my youngest will enter in the fall. A past colleague of mine (we taught together at the beginning of our teaching careers and stayed in touch) teaches at Baldwin Middle School and says it's fine - middle school kids do dumb things because they are MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS, not because they go to BMS. I know the guidance coordinator for the district and she says that "issues" are handled effectively and immediately and that Oceanside and RVC have "issues", too, but they just have the $$$ to keep it more on the down-low. I know a 2nd Pct. cop who says that the real issues are there - kids with too much money and time on their hands, and that while gangs try to make inroads in Baldwin (as they do everywhere), they have been having a hard time. I agree that the most northern area is pretty scary), it seems that the trash is walking in from Roosevelt and not from the area proper. Still, my kids do enjoy the playground at Coes Neck Park.

My neighbors are diverse, but are all well-educated professionals - speech therapists, physical therapists, teachers. My son's good friend's mom is a lawyer, as are a few of my neighbors. There are several professional musicians I call my friends. My chiropractor lives in Baldwin. All of my kids' friends come from nuclear families - no single parent welfare households that I can see. We are a mixed family - I'm white and my husband is hispanic, and our friends are mixed and diverse are well.

I've found this town to be great for raising kids - nice parks and playgrounds, Oceanside pool a short distance away, my son takes piano lessons at a local music school and my daughter dances at a studio 5' away. The Baldwin summer program has been a blast for my oldest and my middle child can't wait to go next year. The library always has something great happening for the kids and the annual picnic in Baldwin Park is fun and free.

I can't understand all the animosity.

Last edited by WeLiveHere; 08-14-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puritymadesimple View Post
My mom lived in Baldwin for several years. Scary and run down place. someone was always getting knifed/robbed/shot.
Disgusting exaggerations. Maybe Baldwin has more property crime than the average LI 'hood, but violent crimes are low. It disgusts me how ignorant you have to be to label Baldwin "scary." What you think some punk on the street is going to mug you and stab you simply because you're white? Please. Terrace Avenue in Hempstead is a good example of a run-down god-forsaken LI street, and it's honestly the only one that comes to mind that I wouldn't walk down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island