Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times

Advertisements

I know a little about Long Island, mostly because I went to college out there, but what is so bad or good about Baldwin? What would make it any better or worse than any other town in Long Island? A lot of towns are pretty similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,922,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
There has to be something good about Baldwin for them to pick it. (broken link)

BTW My town, Glen Allen, ranked #66 and it's a very nice place to live.
Maybe I found this on Newsdays site today

Three charged with beating Baldwin man with stick - Newsday.com (broken link)

Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM
HMR

4 posts, read 11,043 times
C’mon folks we can read between the lines! One of the reasons Baldwin made the list is because of its diversity which is a quite milestone considering the fact that in 2007, 53 years after Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, Nassau County is still considered one of the most segregated counties in the nation. It’s a shame that diversity cannot be celebrated without negative comments from the likes of you all! How many times did Baldwin make the list prior to all the “changes” that you all have so eloquently pointed out? Humph, maybe there’s something to be said about “WHITE FLIGHT”!!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM

68 posts, read 422,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMR View Post
C’mon folks we can read between the lines! One of the reasons Baldwin made the list is because of its diversity which is a quite milestone considering the fact that in 2007, 53 years after Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, Nassau County is still considered one of the most segregated counties in the nation. It’s a shame that diversity cannot be celebrated without negative comments from the likes of you all! How many times did Baldwin make the list prior to all the “changes” that you all have so eloquently pointed out? Humph, maybe there’s something to be said about “WHITE FLIGHT”!!
Baldwin has been a diverse community for the past 20 years, at least. That is nothing new. The "changes" have more to do with a serious gang problem, especially at Baldwin HS, rising crime rates, which are underplayed as is the custom in all of Nassau County, and the town itself becoming run down and dirty.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
HMR

4 posts, read 11,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwardjos View Post
Baldwin has been a diverse community for the past 20 years, at least. That is nothing new. The "changes" have more to do with a serious gang problem, especially at Baldwin HS, rising crime rates, which are underplayed as is the custom in all of Nassau County, and the town itself becoming run down and dirty.
I graduated from Baldwin HS 25 years ago. In a class of over 650 students there were about 30 people of color, if that many, and I certainly don't consider that diverse. I am well aware of the current state of affairs in Baldwin and it's not nearly as bad as you've characterized it. Call it what you want but I've lived long enough to know that when folks talk about how a neighborhood has "changed for the worse" it means only one thing...all or most of the white people are gone! No matter what changes take place in a white neighborhood, as long as it remains predominantly white, it's still considered a "nice place to live." Take any predominantly white town with the same socioeconomic makeup as Baldwin, in 2007, and it would probably rank among the top 10 best places to live in the nation!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM

222 posts, read 893,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMR View Post
I graduated from Baldwin HS 25 years ago. In a class of over 650 students there were about 30 people of color, if that many, and I certainly don't consider that diverse. I am well aware of the current state of affairs in Baldwin and it's not nearly as bad as you've characterized it. Call it what you want but I've lived long enough to know that when folks talk about how a neighborhood has "changed for the worse" it means only one thing...all or most of the white people are gone! No matter what changes take place in a white neighborhood, as long as it remains predominantly white, it's still considered a "nice place to live." Take any predominantly white town with the same socioeconomic makeup as Baldwin, in 2007, and it would probably rank among the top 10 best places to live in the nation!
On this board, and in this context, I would have to agree with your observation.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 12,317 times
Default Wow... So many Haters! LONG LIVE BALDWIN! ROCK ON!

First off let me start by saying that you all sound like a bunch of HITLERS. I'd like to know what your young teens are up to in other predominantly white communities.... abusing alcohol and other prescription drugs, while your daughters are whoring around to gain popularity... Among these past times mothers are teaching their daughters how to be better alcoholics while shoving their fingers down their throats.. GO BULEMICS... Case in point....LONG LIVE LINDSAY LOHAN... MASSAPEQUA SUCKS!

People, Our towns are not defined by a handful of bad apples. If that were the case, I'd say Levittown was a post viet-war burnout town, with drug addicted children self medicating their pain regarding their family's disfunction. And Great Neck sucks b/c everyone just got off the boat from Isreal... hiding pennies in their curly sideburns. I highly doubt that would be fair, now would it..

So people, grow up.. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.. It's ok to acknowledge diversity.. Diversity is good, growth is good. Let's check back with Baldwin in 10 years... I think we'll all be in for a pleasant surprise.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,922,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygirl View Post
First off let me start by saying that you all sound like a bunch of HITLERS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygirl View Post
And Great Neck sucks b/c everyone just got off the boat from Isreal... hiding pennies in their curly sideburns. I highly doubt that would be fair, now would it..
And how would you like to characterize that statement?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 12,317 times
Default Embrace diversity my friends....

These are not my views, i'm being sarcastic to prove my point. I'm saying diversity is good, regardless of people's idiotic stereotypes. we need to get past that. Stereotypes should not define a people as a whole, nor should it define a place or region.
It's not fair to pass judgement on a town due to ones own short-sightedness. It wouldnt be fair to those of us in the community that work hard at being productive members of our society.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 PM

137 posts, read 744,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I heard Freeport ranked 3rd in the "Best place with outrageously high village taxes while having neighbors that don't speak English" category!
I heard that too....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island