Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 AM

95 posts, read 206,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
How any intelligent person with character could pay any serious attention to "class" has always puzzled me.

I think it is frequently those who've been snubbed by being on the wrong side of the barrier, and did not have the self-respect to see the "fool's reproach as the kingly title" that it is.
I thought this board was generally devoid of reason until I met you... thank goodness you're here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleIslander View Post
I thought this board was generally devoid of reason until I met you... thank goodness you're here.
That's kind of you to say, thanks; but there's plenty of others.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/29/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Interesting article about the wealth gap in New York Area.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Please stay on topic.. Thank You

Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
May I also suggest "Class" by Paul Fussell.
That's a great read.

I also once read something by him about his joy, when, some 62 years ago, the troopship carrying him and his fellow soldiers to what was to be the invasion of Japan turned around in mid ocean.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:48 AM

124 posts, read 641,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Auxology, or the study of human growth, suggests that average height reflects the overall health of a population-its diet, wealth, quality of housing, levels of pollution, disease, and stress-particularly for infants and adolescents.

Those that are poor, have a weak family and low self esteem tend to be shorter. Conversely those that grew up in a clean home, healthy, with love and good family relations grow up tall and strong. Those from upper class homes surely grew up with wealth, in a high quality environment, so they have every chance to grow tall. Their growth is a reflection of their health and confidence.
I challenge you to provide a source to back up your statement. Otherwise, it is the purest bunch of excrement ever posted on this forum. It can be disproved hands-down....

Let's see your source(s), Samyn.

Pidgett

Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,722 times
Default The "Classes"

The majority of neighboorhoods you mentioned are considered middle class. Some may be lower middle class, but all middle class, not low class. If you are considering the people who live in apartment buildings then I can understand that statement, but if you are going by the amount of household income and the going rate of homes then it is incorrect.

For instance, there are homes in Hempstead on the market for $700K. The majority of people in those areas like Freeport, Uniondale, and Hempstead bring in a combined household income of $150K or more, which qualifies them to be considered upper middle class. Low class people make less than $30K annually, while lower middle class people make between $40k and $149K. Therefore, your economic standpoint is not accurate. Generally, Long Island is populated with middle class people, not low class people because it is mostly residental and not mostly tenements.

Aren't they all working class, except the upper class people? I would think so based on the fact that the Hempstead branch of the LIRR is heavily patroned by Garden City residents (where the "upper class" resides).

All towns in Long Island are considered middle class. I think many of those towns are not view favorably because they have more minority residents. However, those towns pay more taxes than a lot of their upper class counterparts.

Macroeconomics is very helpful in explaining the class structure, mostly based on household income.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:45 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
Quote:
All towns in Long Island are considered middle class.
No.

It is not just money that determines class. Most towns on Long Island are working class. There is nothing at all wrong with that. We have been brainwashed to believe that working class means bad or poor, but working class is what at least 70% of all Americans are. Here on Long Island we do have a much higher percentage of middle class, but even here most people are working class.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,231 times
this is no reply its how i feel ....

its upper middle vs. welfare...

I am in no way stating things are horrible on LI but You Either have it or you don't..

The Middle Class is Struggling .. I'm a Working 21 year old, who attends college when I can afford it. Thankfully I can Apply for financial aid now that I'm 21 Because before My mother made too much for me to get help But she didn't make enough to Help me pay for it.. So Working 40+ hours a Week Leaves me with some $ in my pocket that goes straight to my car insurance and school books ... And for those who talk about student loans I would need a cosigner..............

it'd be nice if paying for school Classes or my car insurance built my credit i mean they do get all of my money...

ON LONG ISLAND AS A 21 YEAR OLD YOU CANNOT MAKE IT UNLESS YOU HAVE HELP FROM SOMEONE ,a friend, a parent, a sister, a grandparent, the last step is the state.

so unless you have money to make sure your kids will be able to start college or a business for them to work at or you plan on putting their car in you name don't raise your children here if you don't plan on Providing for them until the age of 25 or starting a bank account for them at 16. Because its impossible to make it on your own. I mean Unless you want a rampage of strippers, drug dealers and welfare Brats running around... O wait there already are!!!!

and you can say b/c of my age I feel this way but half of my family is Working class and the other half is upper and I happen to be on the working side and Ive seen my mother struggle her whole life living on long island she's even been trying to sell the house for the past year.... to get out of here because she didn't have a college education so when her dept was bought out @ news day she was forced to work two jobs one full time and part time to keep her house and besides the fact there is no health insurance either. so the bills add up!!!

Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM

169 posts, read 632,871 times
myownway, I think you're 100% right about everything you say, except I would change just one thing: the "start a bank account for them at 16". Nowadays that's much too little too late. I would change that to "start a bank account or Coverdell (or whatever those new college savings accounts are called) account for them at BIRTH or as soon as possible afterward!" Because by the time today's babies graduate from high school it will probably cost $75,000 a year for a decent (not state college/not Ivy League) 4-year college.

I don't have children but I have quite a few friends and relatives with kids your age (in their 20s), all on Long Island. They all fall into one of 3 categories regarding college:

(1) Household income of $200,000/yr or more, parents paid for the kid's college education either through money saved over the years or just "out of pocket" when it was needed. Mostly just "out of pocket" because they could afford it. Families live in The Moorings in E. Islip, W. Islip and Brightwaters south of Montauk Hwy, Asharoken, Head of the Harbor, Laurel Hollow, and Cold Spring Harbor.

(2) Household income of between $75,000 and $100,000/yr, parents took out a second mortgage or home equity loan to pay for the kid's college. Sometimes supplemented by a few thousand ($5000 to $10,000) that the kids inherit from a grandparent. Families live in Babylon Village, Strathmore section of Stony Brook, St. James, W. Islip between Montauk and Sunrise Highways, Sayville and Wading River.

(3) Household income of between $50,000 and $70,000/yr, kids did not go to college. I have to say though that AFAIK that was because the kids had no desire to go (two dropped out of high school at 16, one went to SCCC in Brentwood and dropped out after 1 year, and two graduated high school and are still freeloading off their parents while seemingly unable to hold a job). Families live in Hicksville, West Babylon, Levittown and Commack.

You're right about state aid being useless... all of the above families had "too many assets" to qualify for any help from NY State.

I think the only way to send kids to college is to start saving for it the day after they're born, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island