Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
We live in PJS and have three children in the schools. We have lived in two different neighborhoods here and have many friends who live in just about every area of PJS/Terryville. We moved here from Rocky Point when my oldest was in Elementary school. We love it here and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the school district and our neighborhood. There is a lot of commenting going on here about how gang infested our schools and neighborhoods are. We find it amusing since the people making those accusations do not live in PJS. Well we live here and have kids in the schools and on the sports teams so if you have any questions feel free to ask.....
Whats the area over by Buttercup?

I really like that area, Is that PJS or Terrryville?
(Comeswogue or Newfield)

I think PJS gets a bad rep BC of the Sta area but half of its in PJ Village anyway.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM

33 posts, read 69,235 times
Unless you are living above the stores by the train tracks or near by the youth treatment houses you will not run into any unsavory characters. I am in 711 and shop/bank in the Bravo supermarket shopping center and have yet to been asked to join a gang or give up my wine bottles. There is an extreme amount of exaggeration on these boards in my opinion, and no I do not have my head in the sand. Comsewogue, Longwood, Middle Country, Pat-Med, Riverhead and Sachem are all diverse communities with working/middle class families. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in these districs with houses in the mid $200s and higher. My best advise would be to drive through the commuties yourself and talk to the people/parents/teachers who live/teach there.
Port Jefferson Station has a few neighborhoods in the $250k range. The average price in the Birchwood/Heatherwood area (Fairway to Wilson) is $340k according to the last 6 months of homes sold in the neighborhood. Wilson is the cut off for Middle Country. The lake streets (north of Roe) and the Greene/Erie/Winston ect... has great deals and alot of young families moving in and fixing up their houses. Also the Sterling, Lenox, Hall area and the Cornell, Starr, Greenhaven area could probably get you in that price range. We have some young kids throwing around gang signs and wearing certain colors but nothing like what some people are making it out to be. My kids are in the schools and they laugh at all the "gang talk" this isn't East LA, the South Bronx or even close. We are not Mount Sinai, Miller Place, RP or SWR but again they have their own crosses to bear - no community perfect around here. For $250k though you can probably find something in Sound Beach or Rocky Point where diversity is much less of an issue. The drugs and alcohol you will be hard pressed to find an area at any price range not dealing with that issue. Some are having it much worse than others and for some towns the drug of choice is heroin so make sure you do your homework. Ours is alcohol and weed for the most part, we have not gotten hit by heroin to the extent some of the other nearby communities have. We also have a lot of community and school involvement to keep the drugs out - the principals and superintendants are all over the drug issue and have hired in school drug councelors and have a task force and community meetings to try to prevent a larger problem. We have some great sports programs here like Terryville soccer for the little ones and our kids lax program is one of the best. Our high school wins county and state tounaments in both soccer and lax and this year we made it to the football playoffs. Our schools are in beautiful condition with bright clean classrooms and gyms with dedicated teachers and staff. This is my opinion of PJS/Comsewogue and I am only one person but just though I'd put my two cents in since I live here. Hope this helps someone trying to make a decision.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Unless you are living above the stores by the train tracks or near by the youth treatment houses you will not run into any unsavory characters. I am in 711 and shop/bank in the Bravo supermarket shopping center and have yet to been asked to join a gang or give up my wine bottles. There is an extreme amount of exaggeration on these boards in my opinion, and no I do not have my head in the sand. Comsewogue, Longwood, Middle Country, Pat-Med, Riverhead and Sachem are all diverse communities with working/middle class families. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in these districs with houses in the mid $200s and higher. My best advise would be to drive through the commuties yourself and talk to the people/parents/teachers who live/teach there.
Port Jefferson Station has a few neighborhoods in the $250k range. The average price in the Birchwood/Heatherwood area (Fairway to Wilson) is $340k according to the last 6 months of homes sold in the neighborhood. Wilson is the cut off for Middle Country. The lake streets (north of Roe) and the Greene/Erie/Winston ect... has great deals and alot of young families moving in and fixing up their houses. Also the Sterling, Lenox, Hall area and the Cornell, Starr, Greenhaven area could probably get you in that price range. We have some young kids throwing around gang signs and wearing certain colors but nothing like what some people are making it out to be. My kids are in the schools and they laugh at all the "gang talk" this isn't East LA, the South Bronx or even close. We are not Mount Sinai, Miller Place, RP or SWR but again they have their own crosses to bear - no community perfect around here. For $250k though you can probably find something in Sound Beach or Rocky Point where diversity is much less of an issue. The drugs and alcohol you will be hard pressed to find an area at any price range not dealing with that issue. Some are having it much worse than others and for some towns the drug of choice is heroin so make sure you do your homework. Ours is alcohol and weed for the most part, we have not gotten hit by heroin to the extent some of the other nearby communities have. We also have a lot of community and school involvement to keep the drugs out - the principals and superintendants are all over the drug issue and have hired in school drug councelors and have a task force and community meetings to try to prevent a larger problem. We have some great sports programs here like Terryville soccer for the little ones and our kids lax program is one of the best. Our high school wins county and state tounaments in both soccer and lax and this year we made it to the football playoffs. Our schools are in beautiful condition with bright clean classrooms and gyms with dedicated teachers and staff. This is my opinion of PJS/Comsewogue and I am only one person but just though I'd put my two cents in since I live here. Hope this helps someone trying to make a decision.

Whats the area by Buttercup?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Whats the area by Buttercup?
that's all Comsewogue until you go up Boyle Road a bit

Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM

33 posts, read 69,235 times
The area across from Buttercup is the Birchwood/Heatherwood neighborhood with sidewalks behind Boyle Rd Elementary school. It backs up to the Heatherwood golf course on the other side. The school distict cut off is at Wilson Street where halfway down the street starts Middle Country schools. This is the area where the median home sales are at $340k, with the last three most recent selling at $310k, $340k and $370k. Taxes are around 6-7k.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
that's all Comsewogue until you go up Boyle Road a bit
Thanks Kel

Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The area across from Buttercup is the Birchwood/Heatherwood neighborhood with sidewalks behind Boyle Rd Elementary school. It backs up to the Heatherwood golf course on the other side. The school distict cut off is at Wilson Street where halfway down the street starts Middle Country schools. This is the area where the median home sales are at $340k, with the last three most recent selling at $310k, $340k and $370k. Taxes are around 6-7k.
Thanks I like that area.
I think Id prefer Comsewogue of the 2.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island