Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times

Advertisements

Retail.
The end of the world could be coming and they still demand that the store be open and you come to work. No excuses. NO excuses.
Oh lord my poor wife...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Retail.
The end of the world could be coming and they still demand that the store be open and you come to work. No excuses. NO excuses.
Oh lord my poor wife...
But if no one is going to be out shopping, then isn't the company actually losing money by having to pay hourly employees for being there?

Too bad there isn't some kind of guideline to go by. DC has it easy in that everyone says, "If the federal government is closed, we're closed." Not sure what kind of guideline would work on Long Island. It seems that even when the authorities urge travelers to stay off the roads, it has no impact on local businesses. Seems barbaric to me.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
sweet... a chance for me to try out the new speedo i got for christmas...
[url=http://******************]http://******************/not-tagged-smiley-9880.gif (broken link)[/url]

Old 01-11-2011, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,623 times
This question is for people familiar with JFK operating procedures/NY weather and snowstorms in the area...LOL

I have a friend flying out of JFK into LAX on Friday, who I haven't seen in a while and I'm really looking forward to seeing them. I'm wondering if the storm only comes through on Wednesday mostly will the runways be clear enough by Friday to make it out.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPitts View Post
This question is for people familiar with JFK operating procedures/NY weather and snowstorms in the area...LOL

I have a friend flying out of JFK into LAX on Friday, who I haven't seen in a while and I'm really looking forward to seeing them. I'm wondering if the storm only comes through on Wednesday mostly will the runways be clear enough by Friday to make it out.

Thanks for any insight.
JFK is open and running 2 runways as of this morning. There should be no issues from the storm by Friday.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPitts View Post

Thanks for any insight.
I think your friend will indeed be coming in on friday

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Retail.
Oh lord my poor wife...
It has to do with the fact that the building and inventory is the expensive part of the business model and the employees are only a small portion of the cost structure. So, they feel that is a better use of their resources to keep the store open. My wife's company in the city is funny too. None of the partners ever come in when it snows, but they never close the office. Even during the blizzard in December they were "open." Such are the sufferings of the employed.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 3,623 times
Thank you Alexei27 and jackinyc for your response...

Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
sweet... a chance for me to try out the new speedo i got for christmas...
Sweeeeeet! But why so modest?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Sweeeeeet! But why so modest?
didn't say i'd be leaving with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: