Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM

324 posts, read 334,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
And there you go. Justification for the compensation our finest earn to defend our counties.Looks like after all this envious gibberish you handed the winning argument over on a silver platter. Good job.

sometimes even the most ignorant have a moment of enlightenment.
PBA talking point 1: Low crimes means the cops pay is justified.
PBA talking point 2: High crime means the cops pay is justified.
Reality: crime and police pay have no correlation whatsoever. There are too many factors at work. Generally speaking, SES is the best predictor of crime and LI's SES would predict a low crime rate.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,572,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
PBA talking point 1: Low crimes means the cops pay is justified.
PBA talking point 2: High crime means the cops pay is justified.
Reality: crime and police pay have no correlation whatsoever. There are too many factors at work. Generally speaking, SES is the best predictor of crime and LI's SES would predict a low crime rate.
Ok this post is capable of killing a few brain cells because it contains the crux of the basement dwellers double sided anti-logic.

so I pose this question:
I guess we can start here
What would the crime rate be with no cops?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Only $75, what about last year and the year before.... No one would take issue if the salaries were close to resonable but they are far from that. Would you mind paying a few more dollars for your librarian if they made $300K, I don't think so. It's not just about the money it's the principal.
It's about the principal and the money. A fact the police will try to hide is that it's not only property tax that supports county police, also sales tax supports them as well. Generally speaking, an x% decrease in police pay will lead to an x-(2 or 3)% decrease in the county portion of the property tax bill, so long as the proportion of sales tax supporting the police doesn't change. So a 13% decrease in police pay would lead to a 10% decrease in the county portion of the property tax bill. $300 extra per homeowner is a good start, and police pay only decreases 13%. The argument that it's not a lot of money so it isn't a big deal is a poor one. What if everyone on Long Island gave me $1? It's only $1, so what's the big deal? And that $1 makes me a millionaire. The police pay scale isn't market based pay, it's a ponzi scheme/ robin hood scheme.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Ok this post is capable of killing a few brain cells because it contains the crux of the basement dwellers double sided anti-logic.</p>so I pose this question:

SES being the primary predictor of crime is the crux of the basement dwellers double sided anti-logic? Do you know what SES even means? And yes, without cops there would be more crime. But does the crime rate change if the cops pay is $130k or $105k?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,572,856 times
Quote:
Do you know what SES even means ?
I knew a couple that had a baby. They referred to him as SES. It meant

S!@# , Eat, and Sleep

Your posts reminded me of that

congrats

Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM

929 posts, read 2,062,902 times
Quote:
Ok this post is capable of killing a few brain cells because it contains the crux of the basement dwellers double sided anti-logic.

so I pose this question:
Yeah, let's go with absurd question time. Ok, well the crime rate without any police would be zero. Since there would be no police to write down the crime, then there would be no crime rate. So, what are you saying? You think we should have no police? That's absurd

The better question is what would the crime rate be if we had police officers that made the median salary level of Suffolk/Nassau County?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I knew a couple that had a baby. They referred to him as SES. It meantS!@# , Eat, and Sleep
Your posts reminded me of that

congrats
Rude posts are against the TOS. If you cannot grasp simple concepts and have an intelligent discussion about a topic where people may have opposing viewpoints, you're better off going back to your youtube videos and miller light. Stay classy.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM

157 posts, read 152,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Considering NIFA's reputation in Buffalo, yeah a lot people will be happy, because they will stop every little public union hand out. They have the power to correct things that Mangano can't.
Sorry pal but your jealousy won't get cured with NIFA. Buffalo was a poor city and the control board knew it. NIFA knows that Mangano is a politician that ran on a no new tax platform and thats what this is all about. The county and YOU have the ability to pay. And pay you will LOL

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Really? They cost less than we think? That (SOP- "LOOK it's the teachers, the cops cost less!) might have worked before the data was public and easily accessible. The teachers pay is not within County control, fyi.

Nassau County
Median household income (dollars) $92,450
Median earnings for male full-time, year-round workers (dollars) $65,663
Median earnings for female full-time, year-round workers (dollars) $49,749

Nassau County (NCPD) Police & Fire
Median Pay (2010) $129,213.34
Avg of Top 1000 Pay (Top 40% Bracket) $157,089.77
Avg of Top 250 Pay (Top 10% Bracket) $179,782.06

source: seethroughny

So yeah, $130k median pay for NCPD is 2x the median income for full time male workers living in Nassau County. And it is 2.6x the median income for full time female workers. Plus all the amazing benefits given to county workers, like defined-benefit pension plans, unrealistic raises 3x the rate of the private sector (the rest of us), education credits, no-layoff provisions, paying nothing into their health care plans, and oodles of other spectacular benefits.

Also add in Nassau County's $64 Million obligation to Police & Fire Pensions via NYS pension system, and they are costing us more (relative to services received) than any other special interest group out there.
You still don't get it. Are you upset that cops are making a living or that you pay to much tax. The question reframed is are you jealous or do you want to pay less tax. Teachers cost the same as cops and there are ALOT more of them. Cutting a cops salary , benefit etc will not do much to your tax bill. So why are you giving me average incomes for Nassau which are bogus anyway. Did you ever see the average incomes of the rich communities on the North Shore. You couldn't afford to live in their sheds for the incomes displayed. So stop the rhetoric jealous buisness man who made a bad career choice.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It's about the principal and the money. A fact the police will try to hide is that it's not only property tax that supports county police, also sales tax supports them as well. Generally speaking, an x% decrease in police pay will lead to an x-(2 or 3)% decrease in the county portion of the property tax bill, so long as the proportion of sales tax supporting the police doesn't change. So a 13% decrease in police pay would lead to a 10% decrease in the county portion of the property tax bill. $300 extra per homeowner is a good start, and police pay only decreases 13%. The argument that it's not a lot of money so it isn't a big deal is a poor one. What if everyone on Long Island gave me $1? It's only $1, so what's the big deal? And that $1 makes me a millionaire. The police pay scale isn't market based pay, it's a ponzi scheme/ robin hood scheme.
If its principal do you go to professional sporting events. If you do, you support millionares who play ball. Maybe on principal you shouldn't watch. A 13% decrease in police pay would decrease county portion 300 bucks BS! That would be ALL Nassau employees . And then MAYBE! Funny how its all police here. Highest paid professors, COs, CSEA employees. I wonder if this is not a computer terminal at the jail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.