Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 PM

929 posts, read 2,062,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
You still don't get it. Are you upset that cops are making a living or that you pay to much tax. The question reframed is are you jealous or do you want to pay less tax. Teachers cost the same as cops and there are ALOT more of them. Cutting a cops salary , benefit etc will not do much to your tax bill. So why are you giving me average incomes for Nassau which are bogus anyway. Did you ever see the average incomes of the rich communities on the North Shore. You couldn't afford to live in their sheds for the incomes displayed. So stop the rhetoric jealous buisness man who made a bad career choice.
Yes, he/she doesn't get it. Police make a lot of money because they said so, and they should make that much because teachers make that much. There's more teachers then cops, so cops are not as much of a parasite on the community. So, stop going to jail, making bad decisions, being a hater, doing drugs, being poor, and not making enough money to pay for the absurd salary levels that exist on Long Island. After all, a few rich people live on Long Island.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM

56,957 posts, read 25,901,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
It's about the principal and the money. A fact the police will try to hide is that it's not only property tax that supports county police, also sales tax supports them as well. Generally speaking, an x% decrease in police pay will lead to an x-(2 or 3)% decrease in the county portion of the property tax bill, so long as the proportion of sales tax supporting the police doesn't change. So a 13% decrease in police pay would lead to a 10% decrease in the county portion of the property tax bill. $300 extra per homeowner is a good start, and police pay only decreases 13%. The argument that it's not a lot of money so it isn't a big deal is a poor one. What if everyone on Long Island gave me $1? It's only $1, so what's the big deal? And that $1 makes me a millionaire. The police pay scale isn't market based pay, it's a ponzi scheme/ robin hood scheme.

I don't know where to start and I'm not going to.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry pal but your jealousy won't get cured with NIFA. Buffalo was a poor city and the control board knew it. NIFA knows that Mangano is a politician that ran on a no new tax platform and thats what this is all about. The county and YOU have the ability to pay. And pay you will LOL
We all have the ability to pay but that's not the issue, do you actually know of any municipality that does not have the ability to pay, that is not an issue certainly when it comes to arbitration. Buffalo turned out quite well when the fiscal control board was in place and ran surpluses but when they stepped back the problems returned.

Managano ran on a no energy tax platform, no increase in real estate tax, etc but he loved the sales tax.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You still don't get it. Are you upset that cops are making a living or that you pay to much tax. The question reframed is are you jealous or do you want to pay less tax. Teachers cost the same as cops and there are ALOT more of them. Cutting a cops salary , benefit etc will not do much to your tax bill. So why are you giving me average incomes for Nassau which are bogus anyway. Did you ever see the average incomes of the rich communities on the North Shore. You couldn't afford to live in their sheds for the incomes displayed. So stop the rhetoric jealous buisness man who made a bad career choice.
I see the logic , if we have one policeman making $130,000 and 10 teachers with masters degrees making $80,000 we should entirely ignore the policeman's salary and focus on the teachers?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 PM

157 posts, read 152,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I see the logic , if we have one policeman making $130,000 and 10 teachers with masters degrees making $80,000 we should entirely ignore the policeman's salary and focus on the teachers?
Top pay cops are making the 130 with arrest OT. Top pay teacher in the city make over 100 grand so why are you distorting facts. Are you a politician??

Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Yes, he/she doesn't get it. Police make a lot of money because they said so, and they should make that much because teachers make that much. There's more teachers then cops, so cops are not as much of a parasite on the community. So, stop going to jail, making bad decisions, being a hater, doing drugs, being poor, and not making enough money to pay for the absurd salary levels that exist on Long Island. After all, a few rich people live on Long Island.
So now police are parasites. I see exactly where YOU are coming from. You must be a real gem , I mean germ.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post

There are more than a "few" rich people on LI. You ignore that Forbes top 10 affluent community list had 4 communities from Nassau County. You know another part of the country with high cost of living is Northern Cali. So lets see what San Jose cops make

Salary and Benefits

SALARY:

Academy pay is $33.28 an hour, until sworn in as a police officer
Police officer, starting step 1 salary $80,641
Police officer, ending step 7 salary $116,093
Lateral police officer salary determined by experience, training and education
BENEFITS:

4 day work week, 10 hours a day
5% additional premium pay for certain specialized assignments
Overtime pay assignments
Off-duty secondary employment starting pay of $44.00 an hour
City pays 90% of Kaiser medical plan / 100% dental plan
Domestic partnership benefits
Paid vacation of 80 hours to start, 180 hours maximum
Paid accrued sick leave of 96 hours annually
Up to 100% sick leave cash-out at retirement
Annual uniform allowance of $675.00
Up to 90% of salary for retirement (30 years of service) with 3% annual cost of living increase
PERS retirement reciprocity
Up to four (4) years of retirement buy-in for military experience
Bi-weekly bilingual pay

Well look at that. The base pay is about the same. They get 90% of their pay at retirement at 30 yrs NY get 70%. Wow they get all of their sick leave paid at retirement. They get to work a 2nd job in uniform. I guess they don't want to live in Oakland so they make enough money to survive in that economy. Yeh I know the state of Cal is in fiscal trouble. I didn't give you the salary of CHIPS. Better go shovel the snow because as a buisness man( the career you chose) if you don't get to work you don't get paid. The whole day shift of the PD made it in. They know they have to

Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,482,862 times
Quote:
There are more than a "few" rich people on LI. You ignore that Forbes top 10 affluent community list had 4 communities from Nassau County. You know another part of the country with high cost of living is Northern Cali. So lets see what San Jose cops make

Salary and Benefits

SALARY:

Academy pay is $33.28 an hour, until sworn in as a police officer
Police officer, starting step 1 salary $80,641
Police officer, ending step 7 salary $116,093
Lateral police officer salary determined by experience, training and education
BENEFITS:

4 day work week, 10 hours a day
5% additional premium pay for certain specialized assignments
Overtime pay assignments
Off-duty secondary employment starting pay of $44.00 an hour
City pays 90% of Kaiser medical plan / 100% dental plan
Domestic partnership benefits
Paid vacation of 80 hours to start, 180 hours maximum
Paid accrued sick leave of 96 hours annually
Up to 100% sick leave cash-out at retirement
Annual uniform allowance of $675.00
Up to 90% of salary for retirement (30 years of service) with 3% annual cost of living increase
PERS retirement reciprocity
Up to four (4) years of retirement buy-in for military experience
Bi-weekly bilingual pay

Well look at that. The base pay is about the same. They get 90% of their pay at retirement at 30 yrs NY get 70%. Wow they get all of their sick leave paid at retirement. They get to work a 2nd job in uniform. I guess they don't want to live in Oakland so they make enough money to survive in that economy. Yeh I know the state of Cal is in fiscal trouble. I didn't give you the salary of CHIPS. Better go shovel the snow because as a buisness man( the career you chose) if you don't get to work you don't get paid. The whole day shift of the PD made it in. They know they have to
All this tells me is that there is somehow a place more ass backwards than us out there. Incredible...

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,976,096 times
Jealous, blah blah, bad career choice, yada yada, must be a perp, blech doodle. Keep going tough guys.

Someone with better access to the number needs to let us know this: the true cost in taxes of the Nassau and Suffolk PD....because as we now know the cost of the police is not only the 11% or so you see spelled out for you on your tax bill. Considering sales tax and other portions of the property tax, it's significantly higher. 2500 cops in Suffolk, at least 10 times that many teachers.

Again, both cops and teachers comp is too high, but there is a question of degree. We can cut property taxes by 15% just between those 2 areas.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Jealous, blah blah, bad career choice, yada yada, must be a perp, blech doodle. Keep going tough guys.

Someone with better access to the number needs to let us know this: the true cost in taxes of the Nassau and Suffolk PD....because as we now know the cost of the police is not only the 11% or so you see spelled out for you on your tax bill. Considering sales tax and other portions of the property tax, it's significantly higher. 2500 cops in Suffolk, at least 10 times that many teachers.

Again, both cops and teachers comp is too high, but there is a question of degree. We can cut property taxes by 15% just between those 2 areas.
To high because your didn't pick those careers. Well instead of playing games on this web site may be you should go rip some consumer off the way most buisnesses try to do on LI. Notice that NIFA didn't freeze pay. Sorry. Did that ruin your day. NIFA knows the political games that are goin on. You want low taxes and low paid corrupt cops, move to New Orleans or its burbs. And you wouldn't have this snow either that some Nassau County employee on OT had to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island