Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 AM

157 posts, read 152,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Insanity, we need to disband both county police departments and transfer their officers to the sheriff's departments as deputy sheriffs on deputy sheriff salaries ASAP.

Police Officer = Deputy Sheriff
Sergeant = Sergeant
Lieutenant = Lieutenant
Captain = Captain
Deputy Inspector & Inspector = combined into one rank called Major

Majors would command precincts and Captains would serve as executive officers with Lieutenants serving as shift commanders. Captains would command specialized units elsewhere (ie: aviation, marine, etc).

Lay off everyone above Inspector. Im sure the sheriff's departments have more than enough chiefs, and wardens, and undersheriffs of their own ...
Thats real bright, lay off everyone above inspector. If you look at the list there are not many above Inspector at the top of the list. The top of the list has POs that lock up all the DWIs in the county. So should they spend the five hours after their 12 hr shift processing a drunk with lots of other drunks for free and then go to court on all their days off for free. Or may be you would rather they not lock up the DWI's and then there could be lots of drunks all over the road. If you are one of them I guess you wouldn't mind. Do you work for free???

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
just curious -- how many Nassau & Suffolk NON JAIL deputy sheriffs do both counties have? It sounds as if you know...
Deputy sheriff's don't work the jail in either county, that's the job of correction officers. Suffolk does, or did, (as of the time of my field trip to the county jail with my criminal justice class in '06) have a small number of deputies assigned to handle perimeter patrol and gate duties at the county jail. Nassau has about 100 deputies while Suffolk has 250-275 deputies. Both counties have in the neighborhood of 1,000 correction officers and civilian staff.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM

289 posts, read 580,885 times
From Nassau county's own website..."The Sheriff's Department is divided into two, distinct parts: the Corrections Division and the Enforcement Division." It's an almost nonsensical argument, but seems like technically, they do. So then, you want 375-ish officers patrolling all of LI?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM

929 posts, read 2,062,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
Wow! Hey Where can I look up what you make? And where can I find out where half these buisness owner on LI not only make but the money they don't claim. Especially contracters. So a city cops make close to 100 G at twenty years and NCPD 129 after 20 yrs. One makes to little and everyone knows that, ( excepty may be you ) and the other makes a salary.
Your salary is information that is only available to those that pay you. If you work for Symbol then the executives and board of directors (who represent the shareholders) have access to your salary and decide if your services are worth the cost. Since, public employees work at the discretion of the taxpayer, their salaries are subject to the review of taxpayers. If you want to know the salary of a private employee then I suggest you become a shareholder in their company, then you have a right to salary information.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 AM

157 posts, read 152,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Your salary is information that is only available to those that pay you. If you work for Symbol then the executives and board of directors (who represent the shareholders) have access to your salary and decide if your services are worth the cost. Since, public employees work at the discretion of the taxpayer, their salaries are subject to the review of taxpayers. If you want to know the salary of a private employee then I suggest you become a shareholder in their company, then you have a right to salary information.
So is that who you work for or are you attempting to teach me your valubale knwowledge. I really don't care what you look up. I am in the top 50. How do you feel about that. I hope I didn't ruin your weekend

Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM

929 posts, read 2,062,902 times
Quote:
So is that who you work for or are you attempting to teach me your valubale knwowledge. I really don't care what you look up. I am in the top 50. How do you feel about that. I hope I didn't ruin your weekend
That's wonderful, I'm happy for you. I have nothing against individuals who position themselves to better their station in life. I have a problem with the system and the burden it saddles the community with. You haven't broken any rules and laws. Just like I won't break any rules or laws by contributing to campaigns and groups that focus on changing the laws that govern public sector pay and pensions. Because, I don't ever want to see my great state of NY put in the position of Illinois and California today or Arkansas during the 1930s.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,726,755 times
Quote:
You still don't get it. Are you upset that cops are making a living or that you pay to much tax. The question reframed is are you jealous or do you want to pay less tax. Teachers cost the same as cops and there are ALOT more of them. Cutting a cops salary , benefit etc will not do much to your tax bill. So why are you giving me average incomes for Nassau which are bogus anyway. Did you ever see the average incomes of the rich communities on the North Shore. You couldn't afford to live in their sheds for the incomes displayed. So stop the rhetoric jealous buisness man who made a bad career choice.
No one's jealous or upset that they made a bad career choice. The fact that I had enough smarts and I chose to go to College really bothers you that much? and that I value:
-Innovation
-solving 21st century problems
-putting out the best product/service I can at the lowest possible price

wow, yeah, that really makes me a loser in your as$-backwards world of forming mobs of racketeering unions to price gouge taxpayers.

I guess I had it all wrong. I'll go start my own mob now, so I can go down to your level.

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-29-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 01:46 PM

74 posts, read 206,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Your analogy is incorrect because its not just the taxpayer that SeeThroughNY.com is available to. It is available to everyone in the world, not just those who pay taxes within the state of NY.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 PM

324 posts, read 334,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
Your analogy is incorrect because its not just the taxpayer that SeeThroughNY.com is available to. It is available to everyone in the world, not just those who pay taxes within the state of NY.
The point is those who do business with the government are not afforded privacy with regards to that business. I can find all vendors the government is using and the contracts they signed. That's the nature of the beast. If you don't like it, don't work for government.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
From Nassau county's own website..."The Sheriff's Department is divided into two, distinct parts: the Corrections Division and the Enforcement Division." It's an almost nonsensical argument, but seems like technically, they do. So then, you want 375-ish officers patrolling all of LI?
You don't seem to be able to comprehend what I am saying. All I am saying is that the county police departments should be absorbed into the county sheriff's departments on deputy sheriff pay. We would be able to hire more cops, so we would actually have more than we currently have because then we would be able to afford them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.