Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM

157 posts, read 152,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are very few cops that live in Levitt Houses but where they live is not the taxpayers issue. They should make a fair salary but to pay patrol officers the present salaries and benefits is absurd. There are very few that would disagree that school taxes are too high but that has nothing to do with the present argument, plenty of links on that if you are interested in "ragging on school teachers".
And again pleae read my post more carefully before responding. I did not write they live in Levitt houses but that people would like cops to all live in Levitt houses

Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 AM

22,140 posts, read 19,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
And again pleae read my post more carefully before responding. I did not write they live in Levitt houses but that people would like cops to all live in Levitt houses
I don't think anyone is trying to suggest cops should all have to live in small levitt houses and be paid little. I think most of us would agree cops should be paid fairly well. However, a difference exists between being paid well and being paid to excess, especially when its taxpayer $$ at stake. Having almost half the cops on the force make in excess of $150,000 is insane. Hhaving compensation caps removed that are resulting in some top chiefs taking home in excess of $850,000 for their last year on the force (not even including the six figure pensions) is insane.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,098,102 times
Default Americas Richest Small Towns

Looks like LI made the list more than once. Could it be that this is why the Property taxes are so high? Are the powers that be considering the fact that Nassau and Suffolk counties have some of the richest ppl, they are forgetting about the little ppl.

If the Property taxes were lowered wouldn't they have to lower the salaries too?

America's Richest Small Towns - Yahoo! Real Estate

Last edited by Keeper; 01-31-2011 at 05:41 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 AM

56,953 posts, read 25,911,628 times
Quote:
You should read my post more carefully in which I write that teachers deserve what they make.
You indicated school taxes were too high, not sure how else to take that since teachers salaries and benefits make up more than 70% of the school taxes?

Quote:
You were originally upset about taxes and I adresses them because that is where most of your taxes go. You have now switched your opinion to police salaries being absurd. If a NYC garbage man's base pay is $70,000 and proabably makes alot more with two man trucks and OT why is PD salary absurd. And I will only go by base pay. The extra money for night diff is for working nights and most employees get extra money for that and OT is extra time worked. Not money stolen. Worked! And the real high numbers you see are POs that are arresting DWIs every day and going to court every day.
No one denies that police whould get O/T, night differential, etc but the bottom line is that thae base salaries and compensation is far too high. This is not a skilled position and should be compensated accordingly.

Quote:
And also you say most Nassau residents don't want to pay police salaries. Well most residents would like to speed, smoke pot , and do alot of things in which law makers need to pass laws even though MOST may want to do it. So it can not be left up to the masses on what civil service employees make otherwise you might not only hear the horn for the volunteer fireman but also for the home invasion to.
I think you have a poor opinion of Nassau residents and since it is a democracy they do get to determine the salaries of civil servants unfortunately our elected representatives have been compromised by some very powerful unions.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to suggest cops should all have to live in small levitt houses and be paid little. I think most of us would agree cops should be paid fairly well. However, a difference exists between being paid well and being paid to excess, especially when its taxpayer $$ at stake. Having almost half the cops on the force make in excess of $150,000 is insane. Hhaving compensation caps removed that are resulting in some top chiefs taking home in excess of $850,000 for their last year on the force (not even including the six figure pensions) is insane.

That is insane to you. I will reiterate. Police Officers that make over $150 are making "OT" So the regular base salary is $115,000. I don't consider that insane for LI. If a PO makes an arrest, stays over shift for an aided, comes in on his day off for court or a short roll call then he should be compensated for it. The Chief that was paid $800,000 about $220 000 was his reg salary. Most of that time was earned when he was a PO Sgt or Lt. If he went sick, or used that vacation during that time then OT would have been paid to fill that spot. That is the main reason that was put in the contract years ago to hold down sick time, pers time and vacation and save on OT expenses at that particular time. The taxpayer would like to have its cake and eat it to. Kind of like the give backs the unions did for three years and the agreement that Suozzi and the unions made ( including Mangano signing off on it as legislature) that a recurring tax on home heating oil would be put in place. Your school taxes have gone up EVERY year as voted YES by the tax payer. County taxes hardly ever go up and have not gone up with inflation over the last 20 years

Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
You indicated school taxes were too high, not sure how else to take that since teachers salaries and benefits make up more than 70% of the school taxes?

No one denies that police whould get O/T, night differential, etc but the bottom line is that thae base salaries and compensation is far too high. This is not a skilled position and should be compensated accordingly.

I think you have a poor opinion of Nassau residents and since it is a democracy they do get to determine the salaries of civil servants unfortunately our elected representatives have been compromised by some very powerful unions.
If you READ the post I said they deserve it. I also said in past post the there are to many admin people and I am stating for the record now there are to many districts. Instead of village there should be town districts. But like alot of the things you propose such as cut in PD salary it will never happen. And your OPINION that it takes no skill to be a PO is condesending. This is not 1920 where PO McSweeney smacks everyone over the head with a night club. Unlike the city PD, NCPD were EMTs and are now first responders( because the public didn't want to pay for 3 day refresher for EMT every few years) know all the laws, PD regs and be a jack of all trades. There are bad POs like any trade that don't deserve their pay or even half of it ( like bad teachers etc) but a good PO deserves every penny he makes. When you go into the detective ranks the specialtys are also deserving especially in specialsquads. It takes time on the dept to learn the "skills " that make a good PO not in the classroom even though most have a 4 yr degree and that it why the POs with more time on should be compensated fairly. It takes about 7 or 8 yrs to get to top pay and a PO might be retiring from 12 to 22 years later. I have'nt even discussed the supv ranks that take years of studying to reach and usually can't without a 4 yr degree. There are many POs with master degree's and I know of many attorneys that work in units such as legal Det squads etc in which their advice is needed. And those POs that make the most money are very skilled in finding a DWI every night and knowing out to document every piece of prob cause to make sure the charges stick when they HAVE to go to court on OT. The NCPD didn't create the justice system that requires hours and hours of court time

Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:

I do not have a poor opinion of the residents. The residents are my neighbors . Just the masses can't decide everything and that is the reason for courts, elected officials, etc. So don't assume what I "think"

Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM

Just saw this on my face book page and here is a repost

f you're a police officer, significant other of a police officer or just a friend of a police officer please repost these stats; since Jan 1, 2011, 53 officers have been shot at, 37 were hit, with 14 of that being in a 36 hour period. 10 have died & 2 remain in critical condition. To my brothers & sisters on that thin blue line. Stay alert, stay vigilant, stay strong, and GO HOME. Lord please keep them safe

And I know the next response will be it hasn't happened in Nassau in a long time. That is luck. You don't read everything in Newsday. There was a PO chasing a man with a gun , the gunin the perps hand two night ago after the perp just shot two people. Home invasions , robberies w guns domestics w guns in the home etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 AM
grant516

n/a posts
LOL, people asking for others to be courteous in the Mad Max forum.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,939,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
Mr Dman I can handle ALL of your abuse and give you plenty. If I have to play by the rules then so did you. And unlike other here I will tell you that you have been reported
Truth, the truth hurts. They don't want the truth You could give your opinions and back them up with facts and it wouldn't change a thing. Like a cancer in their brains, it was left untreated so it spreads and consumed to the point nothing could be done. Don't take it personal...just sit back and enjoy the entertainment like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.