Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
That is insane to you. I will reiterate. Police Officers that make over $150 are making "OT" So the regular base salary is $115,000. I don't consider that insane for LI. If a PO makes an arrest, stays over shift for an aided, comes in on his day off for court or a short roll call then he should be compensated for it. The Chief that was paid $800,000 about $220 000 was his reg salary. Most of that time was earned when he was a PO Sgt or Lt. If he went sick, or used that vacation during that time then OT would have been paid to fill that spot. That is the main reason that was put in the contract years ago to hold down sick time, pers time and vacation and save on OT expenses at that particular time. The taxpayer would like to have its cake and eat it to. Kind of like the give backs the unions did for three years and the agreement that Suozzi and the unions made ( including Mangano signing off on it as legislature) that a recurring tax on home heating oil would be put in place. Your school taxes have gone up EVERY year as voted YES by the tax payer. County taxes hardly ever go up and have not gone up with inflation over the last 20 years

Mangano at one point said he had a handle on OT. Yes, cops do need to put in some overtime, that is fine, but that much?? Its a bit over the top.

And yes, I know that the majority of the $$$ made by those retiring chiefs were not from the income, but from the compensation. That is my problem. Caps should be in place and were in place on how much compensation someone should be allowed to rack up. Those caps were removed and its resulting in absurd payouts.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
If you READ the post I said they deserve it. I also said in past post the there are to many admin people and I am stating for the record now there are to many districts. Instead of village there should be town districts. But like alot of the things you propose such as cut in PD salary it will never happen. And your OPINION that it takes no skill to be a PO is condesending. This is not 1920 where PO McSweeney smacks everyone over the head with a night club. Unlike the city PD, NCPD were EMTs and are now first responders( because the public didn't want to pay for 3 day refresher for EMT every few years) know all the laws, PD regs and be a jack of all trades. There are bad POs like any trade that don't deserve their pay or even half of it ( like bad teachers etc) but a good PO deserves every penny he makes. When you go into the detective ranks the specialtys are also deserving especially in specialsquads. It takes time on the dept to learn the "skills " that make a good PO not in the classroom even though most have a 4 yr degree and that it why the POs with more time on should be compensated fairly. It takes about 7 or 8 yrs to get to top pay and a PO might be retiring from 12 to 22 years later. I have'nt even discussed the supv ranks that take years of studying to reach and usually can't without a 4 yr degree. There are many POs with master degree's and I know of many attorneys that work in units such as legal Det squads etc in which their advice is needed. And those POs that make the most money are very skilled in finding a DWI every night and knowing out to document every piece of prob cause to make sure the charges stick when they HAVE to go to court on OT. The NCPD didn't create the justice system that requires hours and hours of court time
I was not being condescending just stating a fact, the only requirement to be a PO is 32 college credits, physically and mentally fit. Granted you need to get some training and experience after your in but that's a really minimal requirement for a job that pays $108K in six years. That is exactly why we have waiting lists with 9000 applicants (waiting lists don't lie).

The way to a good paying job should be through hard work, education and developing a skill, I just do not see this job deserving of this type of money based on the requirements.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Mangano at one point said he had a handle on OT. Yes, cops do need to put in some overtime, that is fine, but that much?? Its a bit over the top.

And yes, I know that the majority of the $$$ made by those retiring chiefs were not from the income, but from the compensation. That is my problem. Caps should be in place and were in place on how much compensation someone should be allowed to rack up. Those caps were removed and its resulting in absurd payouts.
What doesn't make sense is the amount of O/T for some of these positions, why would you consistently pay an employee close to their salary in O/T. I know they save on benefits by having only one position rather than two but I would expect at some point it would make sense to hire another position rather than pay out at 1.5X or 2X a persons hourly wage.

Some of these PO's are close to $100K in base and they are paying another $100K in O/T. A patrolman making around $50 per hour, $75 OT that is making $100,000 in O/T is putting in over 30 weeks of work above his normal tour. Just doesn't make sense not to hire another body, how much could the overhead for benefits cost?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I was not being condescending just stating a fact, the only requirement to be a PO is 32 college credits, physically and mentally fit. Granted you need to get some training and experience after your in but that's a really minimal requirement for a job that pays $108K in six years. That is exactly why we have waiting lists with 9000 applicants (waiting lists don't lie).

The way to a good paying job should be through hard work, education and developing a skill, I just do not see this job deserving of this type of money based on the requirements.

That's mostly because you really don't know what the job entails. Watching cop shows on TV doesn't qualify you to make judgments about what skills are required to do the job effectively. You make an awful lot of assumptions about what it takes to be a cop, like the "minimal" training requirement. Does your job require you to undergo six months of full time academic and physical training before you actually get to do the job? I don't think so.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Some people simply do have an agenda to get threads like these closed though. I started this post to actually give people the visibility towards salaries being paid off of their tax dollars.

I understand it is a touchy topic and some might argue against, but being a public servant you undertake your salary being public information.

I understand both sides of the argument feel very strongly and voice their opinions, yet please don't get this thread closed by flaming each other.

Many people argue against paying these wages, but I would like to hear more justification for these raises and salaries in this economy other than stating others are jealous and do not pay taxes anyways.

Since this is public information I wonder how people in towns would feel if we were to get a list of all teachers in the district, print out a flyer with the names and salary info along with a sample of the towns annual property tax bill and put it in peoples mailboxes. Than that would be transparency and an eye opener when everyone in the town knows how much money is going to their children’s guidance counselor. You could do the same for the police precinct in each town and distribute as well. Seems silly doesn't it, that's why it is easier to just discuss this on a forum and not make personal attacks.
Good points, I do believe that even with all the information available that many people do not have any idea how high some of the salaries are for many of the civil positions other than the few times you read about it in the paper. Many more don't know the process or struture of their government.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM

157 posts, read 153,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What doesn't make sense is the amount of O/T for some of these positions, why would you consistently pay an employee close to their salary in O/T. I know they save on benefits by having only one position rather than two but I would expect at some point it would make sense to hire another position rather than pay out at 1.5X or 2X a persons hourly wage.

Some of these PO's are close to $100K in base and they are paying another $100K in O/T. A patrolman making around $50 per hour, $75 OT that is making $100,000 in O/T is putting in over 30 weeks of work above his normal tour. Just doesn't make sense not to hire another body, how much could the overhead for benefits cost?
This again show's your ignorance if this job. The OT is made after making an arrest. POs are out there on their own patroling. So are you saying that a PO should not make an arrest when they pull over a drunk because they made to much money. Sir, that is illegal. Are you saying a PO should ignore a subpeona to court because he has made to much money. Again that is illegal. Should a PO that arrest to many DWIs be put on a desk to stop him from making arrest. Well when the highway death rates go up I think the public won't be to happy and for the boss that puts him on the desk, he will have to defend himself against a lawsuit

Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM

157 posts, read 153,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

Because of agreements with the unions the job has gone from over 2600 to 2400 members. Alot of civilianizing but not everything. That causes OT. And it does not always pay to just hire more POs because that will do nothing for arrest and court OT and alot of OT is in the summer months and holiday time. So paying OT then is cheaper than paying for a cop and beni's and then he is an extra guy thereby saving money. Extra guys used to be extra plain clothes and cars taking care of special conditions. That is not here anymore so if the car answering calls can't do it, its O well

Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
That's mostly because you really don't know what the job entails. Watching cop shows on TV doesn't qualify you to make judgments about what skills are required to do the job effectively. You make an awful lot of assumptions about what it takes to be a cop, like the "minimal" training requirement. Does your job require you to undergo six months of full time academic and physical training before you actually get to do the job? I don't think so.
Let me ask you a question, being a police officer. If police officers are so sure that the salaries of NC and SCPD are reasonable and justified, which they might very well be, then why does the police even need a union? Why don't you just dissolve your union and save yourselves the dues every month?
CPAs and Doctors don't need unions. They can justify their salaries, why do police officers need unions?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
What a clever retort! Yet it's all just your opinion.

Bottom line is all of your suggestions and recommendations about changing police compensation are just pipe dreams. Wages, pension, health insurance and all of the other issues you whine about are all the subject of either collective bargaining agreements or state law. You have a snowball's chance in hell of changing any existing contracts or laws.

I guess all of the anonymous venting you do makes you feel good. But you're wasting your time -- and apparently that of your employer, too.
State laws are hardly set in stone. I think there is as big a push right now for reform in this area as there has ever been.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Final warning.

I have asked you ALL to be civil and removed many posts that were nothing but name calling.
If you can not DISCUSS this issue without name calling and bashing each other then move along to another thread. Offer solutions. go to the PD and see what kind of calls they handle everyday.

You can not expect the folks who work for the PD not to respond just like if it were your job being discussed you would respond. They have EVERY right to respond as long as they follow the Terms of Service.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-01-2011 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island