Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,491,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
If you feel police salaries on Long Island should be cut, what have you done about it other than complain on a message board?

If you haven't done anything, what do you hope to get out of complaining?

Are you talking just to hear yourself talk?

Are you venting? It's okay if you are. Free speech is a wonderful thing.

Just don't delude yourself into thinking it's going to accomplish anything.
How many times have we been over this?

If you feel police salaries on Long Island shouldn't be cut, what have you done about it other than complain on a message board?

If you haven't done anything, what do you hope to get out of complaining about other people complaining?

Are you talking just to hear yourself talk?

Are you insane? It's okay if you are. Modern pharmacology is a wonderful thing.

Just don't delude yourself into thinking you can prevent people from discussing something you don't agree with.

It's 2011, if someone - anyone who completely, out of the blue decides one day "hmm... why the hell am I paying $10k a year in property taxes on this crappy little house?" and has never once thought about the subject before - goes off to Google and types in any number of terms related to that, this or threads like it come up among the first results on this very message board.

What do you think happens from there? They just put that in their back pocket, sit and mope? Hell no. People talk, I talk to a lot of people... I'm sure everyone else does. I've talked about the same things IRL with complete strangers, cops and teachers even who AGREED with me. It's really easy to slip into conversation and not come off sounding like some raving Tea Party idiot. Like it or not, that's how people learn things. Learning things is the first step towards doing anything about them.

I've thought about going to a school board meeting or something, but considering the fact that I don't have kids and knowing how ugly people can get about their kids and anything that even remotely effects them - I've never worked up the balls. I've voted almost entirely according to this over the last 3-4 years. I've written to Albany (something that takes all of 5 minutes), although I seriously doubt that's accomplishing as much as having tens of thousands of people reading what I'm writing on here. Just the simple act of learning about something and having an opinion on it means you're passively "doing something" that will influence future actions.

Do you think this is just some big topic because Newsday is trying to orchestrate a conspiracy (a conspiracy against who, exactly?)? Do you think people only THINK they're getting ripped off somehow and no one is actually going broke or being forced to move because they can't keep up? Yeah, that's it... it's all in our heads. Don't look behind the curtain, $8k/yr per home to run a school district is financially prudent and affordable... sure.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 PM

324 posts, read 334,466 times
The answers I want are from LI homeowners and how they'd feel if the county police pay were cut.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-02-2011 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned post

Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM

939 posts, read 1,841,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
The answers I want are from LI homeowners and how they'd feel if the county police pay were cut.

Gee, I've owned a home AND PAID PROPERTY TAXES in Nassau County for more than 30 years. I guess I'm qualified to comment on this, too.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:19 PM

324 posts, read 334,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Gee, I've owned a home AND PAID PROPERTY TAXES in Nassau County for more than 30 years. I guess I'm qualified to comment on this, too.
Who said you weren't?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,126,135 times
Thread is closed for now.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,732,448 times
Default WSJ: High Police Pay Fuels Nassau's Squeeze

Looks like more of the media is picking up this story.

High Police Pay Fuels Nassau Squeeze - WSJ.com

"Cops receive free health care and up to five "blood days"—comp days for every time they donate blood. The total package, including fringe benefits and overtime, averages $202,400 per officer.

Last week, a state control board seized control of the finances in Nassau County. High spending on labor and an inability to negotiate labor concessions with the power-wielding police unions was a big reason why."

Experts say Nassau's large spending on police, even in tough economic times, is the product of cozy relationships between elected officials and the county's police unions, particularly the Police Benevolent Association."

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,944,716 times
You think Nassau is bad...Suffolk cops make even more.

But take a look at the property taxes all over Long Island..they consistently rank among the top 5 in averaging the highest property taxes in the US.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,494,042 times
Is pequamam Pete schmitt?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,732,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Wait, I can summarize all responses to this thread

1. NCPD is hard work, we deserve it
2. What are you going to do about it
3. You must be a triple offender
4. But, look at the teachers
5. You must have gotten a bad score on the PD test
6. I carry a gun
7. Those are negotiated contracts
8. You're a fool, because you disagree with me
9. Report that poster

Ok, you can close the thread now.
or this:
"But the High Cost of Living means we deserve it" ---

umm- rein in your spending and watch taxes across the board drop and you'll have a lower COL here. The county would have such a large surplus, we would be able to lower property taxes and the boogey-man high sales tax rate we're burdened with. Maybe attract some more people to stay/live here and *Gasp* even attract back all the businesses that have fled the area! ...further increasing tax revenue for the county.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,244,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Is pequamam Pete schmitt?
Does he have a baseball bat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.