Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Pba is right. 73% of my bill goes to overpaid teachers and superintendents who hide in a classroom or office all day.

People pay more for their monthly cell phone bill then police fees in Nassau.
You're right. We should give Nassau cops a RAISE! However, instead of having ALL taxpaying residents pitch in more, could we just have all our resident cop cheerleaders VOLUNTEER to pay more in their OWN property tax bills? After all, shouldn't these folk pay more for police fees than for their monthly cell phone bills?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Pba is right. 73% of my bill goes to overpaid teachers and superintendents who hide in a classroom or office all day.

People pay more for their monthly cell phone bill then police fees in Nassau.
The percentage is nothing but a smoke screen, police are far and away more overpaid than teachers and superintendents are in an elite class by themselves. How many police do you have in your district and how does that compare to the amount of teachers? Maybe the number of employees might have something to do with the percentages??

When you have 300 teachers lining up in your district for 1 openining they will be on par. Police work is difficult but please try to keep in mind that teaching requires a masters degree and police work requires an 2 years of college, you won't see teachers making $150K in 6 years.

I haven't seen the add, why would the PBA be posturing for the next contract when it's years away?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
How typical. The NCPD PBA are using smoke and mirrors to try and save their own butts. I hope this backfires and blows up in their greedy faces.

I can guarantee you that if the county police tax was only imposed on the communities that are actually covered by the county police than the tax would be much higher. Those rich North Shore communities (ie: Northport, Lloyd Harbor, Asharoken, etc) also pay for the county police department even though many of them also have their own village police departments.

Me thinks we should have a referendum on the future of the NCPD and SCPD.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
How typical. The NCPD PBA are using smoke and mirrors to try and save their own butts. I hope this backfires and blows up in their greedy faces.

I can guarantee you that if the county police tax was only imposed on the communities that are actually covered by the county police than the tax would be much higher. Those rich North Shore communities (ie: Northport, Lloyd Harbor, Asharoken, etc) also pay for the county police department even though many of them also have their own village police departments.

Glen Cove has it's own PD, as does Hempstead. Hardly rich north shore communities. (I wouldn't put Northport and Lloyd Harbor in the same category, but that's me)

Being familiar with the Old Field PD, one thong I do know is they are more along the lines of overpaid security guards. When something big does happen (robbery) SCPD is called in. A local resident sued the OFPD when he wa issued a speeding ticket...citing jurisdictions. If anything, the people in areas where there is a local PD as well as county coverage, should be upset to be paying for duplication of services.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

If you're talking about an ad from the Nassau PBA, then your citing of "those rich north shore communities" is inappropriate since each of those listed is in Suffolk County. That being said, you're probably not aware that the police taxes in Nassau are divided into two pots -- one for uniformed patrol services (which the 22 villages with their own police departments do not pay) and the other for support services such as detectives, crime scene and the like (which everyone pays.) The reality is a bit different from how you portray it.

Before you start taking potshots, make sure you have the facts.

Last edited by pdcnret; 05-04-2011 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM

400 posts, read 761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
[/b]

Are you kidding Please tell me you were drinking before you posted this, so I could give you a pass
No! Next your going to start telling me that we should pay police Officers the same as they would get if you hired them per hour to protect your house.... Just like the teachers/babysitters argument.

Even if every tax payer paid $2.00 a year and PO's were getting paid what they are now, they would still be overpaid and getting too much for what their job is

Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
If you're talking about an ad from the Nassau PBA, then your citing of "those rich north shore communities" is inappropriate since each of those listed is in Suffolk County. That being said, you're probably not aware that the police taxes in Nassau are divided into two pots -- one for uniformed patrol services (which the 22 villages with their own police departments do not pay) and the other for support services such as detectives, crime scene and the like (which everyone pays.) The reality is a bit different from how you portray it.

First, I hope everything is going well for you Pdcnret

Facts! Facts! Facts! Since when is this word relevant on this board

People are venting, take it for what it's worth.

Arguing with some of these people are like arguing with your wife....your not going to win even when you're right

Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post

That's some great information, but I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the FACT that police in Suffolk and Nassau cost the taxpayer significantly more per head than teachers.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That's some great information, but I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the FACT that police in Suffolk and Nassau cost the taxpayer significantly more per head than teachers.

I just smile when one fat cat points at the other fat cat and says "No, they're ripping you off worse."

Kettle, meet pot. You're both black.

Think the public outrage is making the kitchen a little hot for everyone? I guess what we do on here is starting to work!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

It's a response to yet another poster trying to add to the hysteria using irrelevant and incorrect information. Nothing more. Nothing less.

As far as your assertion, please do provide us with the FACTS that lead you to your conclusion... if you can.

Last edited by pdcnret; 05-04-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island