Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,204,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I'm not a fan of Tenure or CS Unions so we do agree there, but just a Quick Fact Check:Teachers are not paid over the summer and most are making sub 90k with a Masters degree while Johnny Laws pulling down 150k+++ dodging drive thrus
Their yearly salary takes into account that they will not be working over the summer, NOT that they get paid "nothing" for the summer. If that were true, they would be eligible for NYS UI over the summer. They aren't.

Quote:
PS Whats the price of a private school these days and how much of that 8500 is linked to the equity of your home/neighborhood?
Unless we are dealing with one of the top school districts (and perhaps even those have their limit), when the property taxes get too high, it affects the value of your home negatively. High property taxes will even cause homebuyers to skip your home and find a comparable one with lower property taxes. It's not always a "guaranteed win" for the homeowner anymore.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Youre right 150k for a Cop with a GED is a very good value for the taxpayers.
I didn't see where she wrote that ...

I agree the NCPD and SCPD are shamelessly overcompensated. Their only saving grace is that there are way fewer of them than teachers. And that being said, I would NEVER move into a Village within Nassau that has its own police force! I'm not paying those salaries, retirements and benefits with only a few others to chip in with me like how people are rooked by their school districts. I'd rather pay for NCPD with a lot of people chipping in with me.

I would love to see just one of the LE and supporters on C-D actually admit it's crazy and has gotten out of hand. At least we have a member whose wife is a teacher who admits how crazy it is.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,114,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I didn't see where she wrote that ...

I agree the NCPD and SCPD are shamelessly overcompensated. Their only saving grace is that there are way fewer of them than teachers. And that being said, I would NEVER move into a Village within Nassau that has its own police force! I'm not paying those salaries, retirements and benefits with only a few others to chip in with me like how people are rooked by their school districts. I'd rather pay for NCPD with a lot of people chipping in with me.

I would love to see just one of the LE and supporters on C-D actually admit it's crazy and has gotten out of hand. At least we have a member whose wife is a teacher who admits how crazy it is.
She didnt have to. To ignore it is to cosign it.
Thank you LI for at least acknowledging bad behavior in Blue.

If the argument is that we shouldnt correct bloated, abusive and vulgar PD payrolls until we fix our mechanism for funding our "elite" microdistricts(you know the ones we vote to fund so we can one up each other on C-D then ***** about the taxes) then we have lost our minds completely.

As for the revolt...Im in too, but we gotta start somewhere.
I dont think our egos are ready to dimantle our "elite" bragrights SDs but I know we are ready to pay less for our Police as witnessed recently on our highways.

The PBA is gonna have a hard time finding much sympathy in this environment.Teachers too, but we gotta start somehwhere.

150k for a blue collar GED job that can be filled for 75k is a travesty.
Especially when we are failing on all fronts from Heroin to MS13.

Crooks

PS after we debunk the PD myth we should start consolidating SDs and trimming the fat and dismantling tenure.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-07-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Their yearly salary takes into account that they will not be working over the summer, NOT that they get paid "nothing" for the summer. If that were true, they would be eligible for NYS UI over the summer. They aren't.

Unless we are dealing with one of the top school districts (and perhaps even those have their limit), when the property taxes get too high, it affects the value of your home negatively. High property taxes will even cause homebuyers to skip your home and find a comparable one with lower property taxes. It's not always a "guaranteed win" for the homeowner anymore.
Perhaps,but they pay themselves over the summer with their accruals that they determine over the year. They cant collect UI bc they are guaranteed a position in the following year. Its really more like a furlough but I can see your point...perhaps you can see mine?

Crooks

Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
She didnt have to. To ignore it is to cosign it.
Thank you LI for at least acknowledging bad behavior in Blue.

If the argument is that we shouldnt correct bloated, abusive and vulgar PD payrolls until we fix our mechanism for funding our "elite" microdistricts(you know the ones we vote to fund so we can one up each other on C-D then ***** about the taxes) then we have lost our minds completely.

As for the revolt...Im in too, but we gotta start somewhere.
I dont think our egos are ready to dimantle our "elite" bragrights SDs but I know we are ready to pay less for our Police as witnessed recently on our highways.

The PBA is gonna have a hard time finding much sympathy in this environment.Teachers too, but we gotta start somehwhere.

150k for a blue collar GED job that can be filled for 75k is a travesty.
Especially when we are failing on all fronts from Heroin to MS13.

Crooks
That's not my argument! You're preaching to the choir here. They just have to be attacked from different directions -- County for PD and individual school districts for teachers' unions.

In Nassau County, once they actually arrest people and jail them, seems our hapless civil servants (Sheriff's Dept., no blame on NCPD in this case) can't keep 'em alive! Four successful suicides in a year at Nassau County Jail!

4th suicide spurs call for new jail scrutiny

Quote:
The fourth suicide of a Nassau County inmate in the last 12 months has triggered the alarm of a key state lawmaker and inmate advocates.

The U.S. Justice Department had closely monitored the jail both for overcrowding and, more recently, after finding gross civil rights violations stemming from the 1999 beating death of an inmate and problems with NUMC's inmate medical care.

"We've been in communication with Department of Justice attorneys," said Samantha Fredrickson, executive director of the Nassau chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union. She said she was rebuffed after she sought a meeting last fall with jail and county officials to address medical and mental health problems. "This death really illustrates that there are serious issues that demand immediate action."

"I don't think there's any doubt that that's a significant number of suicides to occur in any one year in any facility," said Thomas White, a Kansas-based clinical psychologist who studies prisoner suicides. "It certainly is a red flag that merits attention."
Of course the families have (or in the case of the latest suicide, either has or will soon) LAWYERED UP to sue Nassau County for much more money than the inmates were probably worth when they were alive. Even the Civil Liberties Union has been licking their chops over it. Great. Just what we need when we are hemorrhaging money already! What kind of incompetence is this? There needs to be a shakeup there as well, it appears. Since 1999 there has been such trouble in there that the US Justice Dept. has been monitoring the jail and found gross civil rights violations and problems with medical care. WTH? And was anyone held accountable? Or God forbid, fired for not doing their job? I am sure the UNION is doing whatever it can to protect the people responsible from getting fired. What do they care? They don't have to pay the lawsuits, the taxpayers do. What do they care? The dead men mean nothing to them.

Looks like yet another example of how USELESS and, in some cases, dangerous, public employee unions are. I wonder if there would be horrible problems like this since 1999, and now 4 suicides in a year, if the employees at NC Jail were not coddled in a union, but had to survive at their jobs on MERIT and COMPETENCY?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,723,944 times
Fast forward to 6:05 and listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5qiABmuKT0

Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Fast forward to 6:05 and listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5qiABmuKT0
I like the Gov even if he sounds like a Republican.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 AM

8,800 posts, read 21,212,287 times
Please stay within bounds so that another thread does not have to be deleted or closed.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 PM

74 posts, read 206,845 times
So, actually you could pack 2 Coliseums with teaching degrees cranked out of the degree factories of NY. It's easy to fill a teaching position because of so many applicants. The trick for the teaching applicant for LI is to have an "in" that would give them the edge to be picked out of the multitude vying for the much coveted teaching position.

One of the major issues with new Long Island graduates is that they don't know what they want to do so they "teach." These "teachers," aren't actually getting jobs because most of them are bad. Real teachers are motivated by the love of their content area as well as wanting to convey that content to students of a certain age group.

Theoretically, we could fill 2 coliseums with teachers who would start at 30k a year, but that doesn't mean you would get a high quality teacher. Your taxes would go down though...Also, most teachers who get hired do not necessarily have an "in." I, nor my wife, had an "in," with the school districts we were hired at. We both have been teaching since we graduated college, and are now in our fifth years teaching with master degrees, with additional credits.

Unfortunately, many of us see that a relative or friend can't get a teaching job and assume it is due to nepotism, money, or some reason we can't explain, but the reality could be that they just aren't very good. Is there nepotism? Sure, but I would say this is probably 1-5% (at max) of those who are hired.

Also, many of you complain about a teachers salary, but do not realize that they have to get a masters degree with credits (that they have to pay for) to get a high salary. In addition, these people are watching and teaching your children. I would hope you want the highest qualified, not the cheapest person watching and teaching them. Another thing people do not realize is that teachers are teachers 24 hours a day. They are mandated reporters. This is a huge responsibility that many people do not account for.

One last comment; when the housing market was doing well and everyone's stock market profiles were high, teaching was a crappy job that no one wanted because of how much work it was for little pay. Now, since the economy has tanked, teaching is a coveted position. Which one is it?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,571,728 times
I was watching news 12 last night. Yep I admitted it.

A new Police academy class graduated consisting 40% of military veterans. I'm assuming in today's atmosphere many are combat veterans. God bless them and good luck. They protected our great nation and now they will patrol Suffolk county. Your neighborhoods, protecting your families in an environment that seems to be getting worse. Heroin, other misc. drugs, gangs, violent crimes, and a host of other societal problems. I read the seething hatred on this board and I have to assume it is probably a few of you also. I would pay 200k+ a year to have seasoned combat veterans on our streets battle domestic criminals. That is what they do and they are the best at it.

Just yesterday there was a hostage situation in Eastport, Yep Eastport. Go figure. Home invasion. Weapons. The whole 9 yards. SWAT.Trained professionals with long rifles surrounding the house. The school was locked down. Looks like everyone survived unscathed. Outstanding. You do that.It was on the cover of snoozeday. Yeah I read it. I admitted it again.

The thing is our finest got up and took a test that THOUSANDS participated in and succeeded. over 30,000. When I resided in Dallas/ Ft worth there were four large departments in the metroplex that combined their testing to save money....they also cut their salaries. By the time all was said and done they had maybe 50 applicants. It was a problem. I'm sure they didn't have the cream of the crop. And don't kid yourself, The DFW Metroplex is a large populated area.

To my knowledge there is a test coming up sometime in the spring. If you think you have what it takes then go for it. I'm glad they have a High school diploma requirement, It opens testing to a much larger pool of candidates. My guess is most of you posting anti law enforcement and teaching are too self loathing to appreciate what it takes to actually earn something. Even if you don't want to be a cop just take the test, see how you do.

The problem isn't the salaries. It your general politicians, democrats, and New York large government and social welfare programs. Cut those and maybe everything else would come into line. If you don't like the situation then move. That's it, done. I came here for the fat New York salary when no one else wanted it which will apply towards my retirement. Then I'm going to get the heck out of this third world liberal country. Most of my associates didn't want it. The transfer wasn't worth it to many who know what the situation was and didn't want to raise their families here. I don't blame them. I feel like I was bribed. Even federal jobs pay higher here. They go on regional cost of living allowances and in New york it can be even higher than the actual salaries just to get employees to reside here. And by living here It's still almost not worth it.

Anyway you amuse me. The angrier some of you get the happier I am that they are between us and you.

carry on with your temper tantrums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island