Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,591,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
...which happen to be made up of people who also pay taxes.
While they may also pay taxes, they consume more tax money than they pay.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 PM

56,957 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Actually, they are not ad sites. They are salary aggregators.

And trust me (okay, "trust me"), any surgeon who only makes $68K is on the verge of retirement or has just begun his or her career--most likely in a place like North Dakota. Surgeons in New York (including LI) make a HECK of a lot more money than most people, and pretty much all cops. They make Syosset deputy superintendent money.
Don't blame me that's your source not mine and it was LI.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,234,539 times
Tummy, really? You really think anyone can do a cop's job?

I hope not. All you need to do is read the news. There's a lot of death, a lot of cruelty, and a lot of ugly, even here in suburbia. It's not just tickets and peeping toms. If MS-13 isn't enough to give you pause, think of the heroin problem. How about arriving at the scene of an accident and seeing the remains of a small child smeared across a back seat? Or getting a call about a crime in progress, and arriving to find that some thug just staved his own mother's head in with a pipe? And the baby-rapers--could you hold your temper long enough to bring them in? Because I'd have a hard time not shooting their nads off.

Sorry, no, not everyone can do a cop's job, or any LEO's job, for that matter.

It's Police Week. [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=wherewithal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&q=police+week&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=nws:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wn&bav=on.2,o r.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=484b59620932e2cd"]Show a little gratitude.[/URL]

Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 AM

56,957 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The National Association of Retirement Administrators (NASRA), they are the national organization that most of the state administrators belong to that assists with guidelines for state pension administrators.

On their website they have a link titled "Measuring the Impact of State and Local Pension Plans", I assumed it was the negative impact but evidently it's a benefit to the states, maybe we need to raise pensions rather than decrease?

This is the same group that used the 8% return model model, no wonder the pension plans are in trouble.

"Personal income from state and local government pensions exceeds the personal income derived from the nation's farming, fishing, logging, and hotel/lodging industries combined. The expenditure of public pension benefits results in an economic impact that reaches every city and town of every state. The resources listed below illustrate this economic phenomenon."

Economic Effects of Public Pensions

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

289 posts, read 580,800 times
specific to the above thread, several of those stated listed in that survey are infamous for dramatically underfunding their pension plans, to the point of placing them in short term survivability.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,214,484 times
Quote:
Alright, Walter!!!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Don't worry, Walter. I'm sure you do, too. Everyone does. That's the nature of taxation. Everyone puts in. Everyone gets out more than what they put in.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, Walter. I'm sure you do, too. Everyone does. That's the nature of taxation. Everyone puts in. Everyone gets out more than what they put in.
Even with deficit spending, this is not true.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Even with deficit spending, this is not true.
Sorry, but you need to think about all you get from all the taxes you pay, local, state, and federal. The math is not in your favor.

[URL="http://www.buzzflash.com/perspectives/taxes.html"]If you don't like paying taxes . . .[/URL]

Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but you need to think about all you get from all the taxes you pay, local, state, and federal. The math is not in your favor.
It certainly is: the gov't can not pay out more than it takes in without eventually going bankrupt.

There are many folks who pay no income taxes who receive lots of welfare from the gov't; but, the rest of us, those who pay taxes, get back much less than they pay in.

The gov't does not make a profit from which to pay people more than the gov't collects in tax receipts.

The gov't prints money and monetizes the debt by using these printed dollars to buy the gov't debt, such as is now occurring; but, if the gov't does this for too long a time, inflation destroys the value of the money and could lead to a collapse of the gov't (such as occurred in Germany in the late 1920s/early 1930s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island