Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
New PBA ad on the radio today:

"Did you know that you only pay $80 per month per household for police and ambulance services"? I guess that means that no one in the house pays sales tax on anything?

They are really going to go with this lie, aren't they?
Another thing, how come they send bills for ambulances?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
We don't need to get rid of anybody, they will get rid of themselves due to their own arrogance, greed, and overinflated egos. A few more scandals like the crime lab fiasco, and shooting an unarmed taxi cab driver over a parking spot and the NCPD is done for.

They are hanging themselves with their own rope.
Quite a statement for a barely twenty-something kid. Sweeping generalizations based on ... what? Since you've obviously had little or no life experience yet (I've got shoes older than you are) I'd be really interested in knowing how you can come to such conclusions. Media hype, internet blogs, tv crime shows? Have you ever paid property taxes ... or income taxes? Do you actually even know a real cop? Or are you just parroting the thoughts and words of others?

And by the way, Skippy, we're not going anywhere. So when you inevitably wind up running across of a cop at some point in your young life, explain to him how you feel that he and his fellow officers are arrogant, greedy and possessive of overinflated egos. Just wish I could be there because the results are sure to be entertaining.

Last edited by pdcnret; 05-25-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM

57,234 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Default Allan Gerstenlauer, Longwood Superintendent

Superintendent using his schools website to generate a letter writing campaign to Cuomo. Did he also ask residents to write to the teachers union when they received all those raises the last few years? Does he think "Albany" just prints money, or could it possibly be that it comes from the taxpayers.

Contact your Legislator

He's worried about a supermajority of 60% to override, but had no concern in the past when budgets were approved with less than 15% of the residents voting. Where was all this concern about budgets when the BOE,s approved all these teacher contracts?

"I understand the political pressure for a tax cap. I truly fear its impact on our schools. I also fear that a 60 percent supermajority vote needed to override the cap will disenfranchise our local community, which has been supportive of its schools for many years.

Allan Gerstenlauer, Middle Island"

Tax cap will hurt public schools

Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Superintendent using his schools website to generate a letter writing campaign to Cuomo. Did he also ask residents to write to the teachers union when they received all those raises the last few years? Does he think "Albany" just prints money, or could it possibly be that it comes from the taxpayers.

Contact your Legislator

He's worried about a supermajority of 60% to override, but had no concern in the past when budgets were approved with less than 15% of the residents voting. Where was all this concern about budgets when the BOE,s approved all these teacher contracts?

"I understand the political pressure for a tax cap. I truly fear its impact on our schools. I also fear that a 60 percent supermajority vote needed to override the cap will disenfranchise our local community, which has been supportive of its schools for many years.

He's probably mostly worried about one thing ... that he and his compatriots "running" their little SD fiefdoms won't be able to pay themselves like the rockstars of civil service anymore.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:39 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Contact your Legislator

I don't know. If they can achieve 60% of the vote then he will actually be able to claim that the community is supportive of the schools. The friends and families of the teachers and administrators is hardly the community, but a small self interest group.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 AM

324 posts, read 335,192 times
Default The wild west in NCPD land

Wonderful! Now it turns out the two NCPD police officers who got into a fight with a cab driver over a parking spot were drinking

It's bad enough that the NCPD police officers are so overpaid (median salary is almost $150,000 a year, plus free pension and healthcare and they barely work more than teachers!), but it seems every year there are issues with these guys.

One would think we could get a bit more professionalism out of the police department given how handsomely they are compensated.

Now IAB will investigate since they cannot just take the officers word about what happened that night... The cab driver will also sue and probably settle, all because of the unprofessionalism by officers in the NCPD

Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Wonderful! Now it turns out the two NCPD police officers who got into a fight with a cab driver over a parking spot were drinking

It's bad enough that the NCPD police officers are so overpaid (median salary is almost $150,000 a year, plus free pension and healthcare and they barely work more than teachers!), but it seems every year there are issues with these guys.

One would think we could get a bit more professionalism out of the police department given how handsomely they are compensated.

Now IAB will investigate since they cannot just take the officers word about what happened that night... The cab driver will also sue and probably settle, all because of the unprofessionalism by officers in the NCPD
"CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (1010 WINS) — Charges were dropped against a taxi driver who, police alleged, confronted them and tried to run one over. Officials conceded the cops had been drinking.
Thomas Moroughan, 26, was arrested on February 27 in Huntington Station after the two Nassau County police officers said the cab driver confronted them and tried to run one of them over.
He was shot twice during the dispute with the two off-duty cops, and was treated at Huntington Hospital.

Moroughan Says He’s Relieved [LEFT]
[/LEFT]

According to a police statement, “the officer fired his off-duty weapon into the taxi, identified himself as a police officer and told Moroughan to exit the vehicle.” Court records identify the shooter as Nassau Police Officer Anthony DiLeonardo. Police said Moroughan refused to exit the taxi and then struck both officers with his vehicle and fled.
Attorney William Petrillo had said that his client pulled over to confront the officers because one of them had been driving recklessly.
“I was just doing my job as a cab driver,” Moroughan said.” I didn’t do anything to deserve to be shot, pistol whipped, beaten up and then arrested.”
Petrillo charged that there was evidence that the officers were intoxicated and fueled by road rage.
Moroughan was planning to file a lawsuit."

Wow, it seems that the cops lied through their teeth and their buddies will defend them no matter what. What a shocking, shocking turn of events.

Who would have thought when the story first came out that this poor guy who the police wanted to label public enemy number one actually was victimized by 2 gangsters with badges who discharged their weapons for no other reason than the fact that the guy had the AUDACITY to criticize their reckless behavior. In light of the FACTS of this case, he would have been 100% justified in running them over to defend himself.

Honestly, I think everyone knew what was really going on with this story from day one. And cops wonder why they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

LI: you've enabled these guys for way too long.

It turns out that you get the SAME EXACT GUYS you would get paying them 163K as you would paying them 100K..or even 60K. Some people here would have you think these guys would be spinning fancy business deals or something since they are such star performers and exceptional people.

Turns out they are..just cops, not different than any other force, many good, some bad, but in our case all way overpaid.

Last edited by dman72; 06-07-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
The link in Dman's post is obsolete as it now leads to a photo of a man arrested in Coram for stealing cars. Tomorrow it will lead to someone else.

That said, sorry to disappoint, but I don't think anyone would try to defend the indefensible. If the cop you are talking about did something wrong, that will come to light and he should be punished. Dirty cops are scum.

Why some here would assume that others would see it any other way boggles the mind for its incredible lack of objectivity and its stunning inclination toward personal bias.
Here's the story.

Cop Charged with Pointing Loaded Gun in Farmingdale Bar - Farmingdale, NY Patch

And meat head cop is #7 on the mug shots now

Recent LI mug shots

Old 06-07-2011, 01:45 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Thread is closed for moderation. Apparently this is not a topic you all can discuss without bashing each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island