Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,044,941 times

Advertisements

Here is a thread for you to discuss civil service pensions and salaries on LI. Keep the discussion about Long Island ONLY!!! No personal attacks or bashing allowed. Keep it civil.

You all complain when threads gets closed yet every thread dissolves into personal attacks. Snide or rude comments about other members will not be tolerated. You don't have to agree with each other just treat each other with respect.

Post links to back up your statements about pensions and salaries.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-12-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM

398 posts, read 834,870 times
Default New York State | Public Employee Payrolls & Pensions

http://www.seethroughny.net/PayrollsPensions/tabid/55/Payrolls/StatePayroll/tabid/69/Default.aspx?BRANCHID=4

In favor of transparency, civil servants salary information is available for the public to review.

You can review the link above to see the payroll for many divisions of public service, ranging from Police, Fire Department, LIRR, Schoolteacher.

If only we had information on the pensions these servants receive. A police officer can receive 50% pension after 20 years. I believe the % is based on the last year worked before retirement. The availability to abuse the Over Time system and drive up the last year salary is available and could be abused by most precincts.

It's possible for an officer to record $175,000+ in wages his 20th year and retire at $85,000/year. I agree that police officers need to be paid well and staying on the job 20 years means something and deserving of a salary above the medium standard of living, yet being able to drive up the % received in pension seems flawed.

Any opinions? Any input on other civil servants such as teachers, LIRR, fire department pay and pension packages?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
This website is a godsend. Now I know what all my teacher friends make! To all the teachers who say they are underpaid, we have the proof right here ladies and gentlemen- you AREN'T!

Love you.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM

939 posts, read 1,838,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
http://www.seethroughny.net/PayrollsPensions/tabid/55/Payrolls/StatePayroll/tabid/69/Default.aspx?BRANCHID=4

In favor of transparency, civil servants salary information is available for the public to review.

You can review the link above to see the payroll for many divisions of public service, ranging from Police, Fire Department, LIRR, Schoolteacher.

If only we had information on the pensions these servants receive. A police officer can receive 50% pension after 20 years. I believe the % is based on the last year worked before retirement. The availability to abuse the Over Time system and drive up the last year salary is available and could be abused by most precincts.

It's possible for an officer to record $175,000+ in wages his 20th year and retire at $85,000/year. I agree that police officers need to be paid well and staying on the job 20 years means something and deserving of a salary above the medium standard of living, yet being able to drive up the % received in pension seems flawed.

Any opinions? Any input on other civil servants such as teachers, LIRR, fire department pay and pension packages?
Your facts are not entirely correct. There are very few people left actively employed whose salary is based on the last year of work (those hired prior to July 1, 1973.) And those folks can't exceed the previous year's wages by more than 20% when computing pension. Since 1973, all hires have had their pensions based on an average of three years of wages, again subject to the 20% rule. There have been several other changes since then, each becoming increasingly restrictive in computing/funding pensions and in designating a retirement age. In the police department (Nassau County), there are controls in place to ensure that overtime is not abused, especially in the last years of service.

Last edited by pdcnret; 01-05-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,389 times
Regarding teachers and their pensions, I'm quoting the sister of the Superintendent of Babylon Schools - the teachers' pensions are based only on the last three years they work. During that time the teachers take on more extras (such as clubs, etc.) in order to increase their paychecks. It's no wonder they retire with such a hefty pension.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Since 1973, all hires have had their pensions based on an average of three years of wages, again subject to the 20% rule.
Which three years? Possibly the last three?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM

398 posts, read 834,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Your facts are not correct. There are very few people left actively employed whose salary is based on the last year of work (those hired prior to July 1, 1973.) And those folks can't exceed the previous year's wages by more than 20% when computing pension. Since 1973, all hires have had their pensions based on an average of three years of wages, again subject to the 20% rule. There have been several other changes since then, each becoming increasingly restrictive in computing/funding pensions. In the police department (Nassau County), there are controls in place to ensure that overtime is not abused, especially in the last years of service.
Thanks for responding, as you would know more than I. I looked into it and the three-year average is correct. Even so, banging out your last three years to get a lot of OT is still there to drive up the wage.

You say controls on OT, yet I'm curious to the controls ensuring overtime is not abused. I've heard rumors (true or false I'm unaware) of Police passing arrests to another officer who wants the OT. I'm sure there are ways around the system.

My intention is not to single out Police, so I must point out the abuse of firemen abusing the system to go out on disability pension rather than normal pension. Not saying the majorities do so, but we all hear stories of someone doing it.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Highest of any three consecutive years, with percentage limitations as determined by tier status. (All tiers have different earnings caps -- ranging from 10% to 20%.)

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Thanks for responding, as you would know more than I. I looked into it and the three-year average is correct. Even so, banging out your last three years to get a lot of OT is still there to drive up the wage.

You say controls on OT, yet I'm curious to the controls ensuring overtime is not abused. I've heard rumors (true or false I'm unaware) of Police passing arrests to another officer who wants the OT. I'm sure there are ways around the system.

My intention is not to single out Police, so I must point out the abuse of firemen abusing the system to go out on disability pension rather than normal pension. Not saying the majorities do so, but we all hear stories of someone doing it.
It often happens that the police officers earning overtime are those who are the most active, particularly those who make a lot of arrests. Arrest processing and court time are factors which may increase overtime. But, again, these are the folks who are taking the DWIs and other bad guys off the street. It's a trade off.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,949,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
The last three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island