Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM

69 posts, read 241,266 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I've been looking to get into the volunteer game for a while now... I'm signed up with the Red Cross but they make you take an introductory course before you're allowed to do anything, and it's only offered once a month and it always falls on a Wednesday. Due to work issues I've had problems making since I started this back in September.

I'm gonna keep trying because I know that's a solid organization but I figured in the mean time I'd see if anyone here had any other suggestions since other than the red cross, I have no idea where to look. I'm not really sure what I want to do so any suggestions are good. Homeless shelters, other kinds of shelters, food banks, hospitals, working with kids, etc. I'm gonna get into the disaster relief with RC but I'd like to do any of the above (or whatever) also.

I'm in Ronkonkoma so mostly looking for stuff between the sagtikos and wm floyd but that's not too rigid. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
I do volunteer work for Family Service League. You might want to call Kathy Horowitz - see below for contact info:

Kathy Horowitz
Coordinator, Volunteer Services
Family Service League
790 Park Avenue
Huntington, New York 11743
(631) 427-3700
khorowitz@fsl-li.org
Visit our Website at www.fsl-li.org

They have locations in Huntington, Bay Shore, Riverhead and E. Yaphank--one of those should work for you; maybe you'll find an area where you feel you can make a difference.

They can always use more volunteers!! Good luck

Elke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIguy257 View Post
Long story short, I've been looking to get into the volunteer game for a while now... I'm signed up with the Red Cross but they make you take an introductory course before you're allowed to do anything, and it's only offered once a month and it always falls on a Wednesday. Due to work issues I've had problems making since I started this back in September.

I'm gonna keep trying because I know that's a solid organization but I figured in the mean time I'd see if anyone here had any other suggestions since other than the red cross, I have no idea where to look. I'm not really sure what I want to do so any suggestions are good. Homeless shelters, other kinds of shelters, food banks, hospitals, working with kids, etc. I'm gonna get into the disaster relief with RC but I'd like to do any of the above (or whatever) also.

I'm in Ronkonkoma so mostly looking for stuff between the sagtikos and wm floyd but that's not too rigid. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island