Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM

21 posts, read 57,350 times

Advertisements

When I moved into Southern Meadows 2.5 yrs ago, rent was $1300 for a terrific 1 BR plus $50 "rent" (which should be illegal) for pets.

It went up $13 the first year and a whopping $92 the second. I looked on their website and a nearly identical apt. to mine, same deluxe upgrade is going for $75 less than when I moved in. That's $175 less in rent than what I'm paying, if they don't have pets, it's $225 less.

What is wrong with this picture? Is this common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 AM

292 posts, read 820,156 times
It's probably a matter of rent control, or rent stabilization. Your apartment probably had a higher turnover before you moved in, and every time it changed hands, the rent went up, and in the other apartment, there were probably longer term renters over the same time period so that the rent didn't go up as much over time....because the rent was controlled. THink about NYC where some elderly people live in 3 BR apartments in really nice neighborhoods for less than $1000 a month, and then someone else in the family takes it over when they .... ummm....move on. When my grandmother passed we mulled having one of us take over her apartment in the city for just this reason.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
it's not rent control. The complex will lower the rent for new tenants as much as they need to get new people in. The OP already lives there, and they figure they'll raise the rent just enough that they won't go through the inconvenience of leaving. Besides, if you leave a place like Southern meadows, they are basically going to rob you of at least $500, and they figure 9 out of 10 people won't do anything about it.

The companies that run these complexes are made up of low life theives.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
It's probably a matter of rent control, or rent stabilization. Your apartment probably had a higher turnover before you moved in, and every time it changed hands, the rent went up, and in the other apartment, there were probably longer term renters over the same time period so that the rent didn't go up as much over time....because the rent was controlled. THink about NYC where some elderly people live in 3 BR apartments in really nice neighborhoods for less than $1000 a month, and then someone else in the family takes it over when they .... ummm....move on. When my grandmother passed we mulled having one of us take over her apartment in the city for just this reason.
There is no rent control or rent stabilization in Nassau and Suffolk like they have in NYC except in some municipalities for existing senior citizens. But once the seniors move out, the apartment can go to whatever rent the landlord wants to charge.

To the OP, if I were you, I would talk to the management company and tell them you noticed the advertisements and that you've been a good tenant for 2.5 years and you want your rent lowered. They might strike a deal with you if they want to keep you. As for pet rent, it is actually more common in other states than it is on LI because other states have more newer complexes. Older buildings and apartments in houses on LI usually do not charge pet rent (but the flip side of that is so many of them say "no pets" at all).

Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Augh! Southern Meadows was one of the places I looked at for my sister. Let's just say they have some ridiculous requirements for what they are offering: If you don't have a job lined up when you move in, they want you to show that you have three years' worth of rent in cash in the bank. I understand why they might feel compelled to ask that, as they probably figure that with rent being 1/3 of expenses, even if you never find a job the whole time you live there, they won't get stiffed on the rent for the term of a 1-year lease or have to deal with evicting you. Business decision and so on, fine, I get it.

But come on. I don't say this to be snotty, but Southern Meadows isn't exactly luxury living, either. The unit they showed me had a big hole in the wall for where my sister could buy and install her own AC unit (really?), and the carpet, paint job, and floor...well, I was less than impressed. On par with Fairfield Park in Babylon, and that's not saying much. In fact, the renovated kitchens at Fairfield Park were nicer.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 PM

21 posts, read 57,350 times
My apt. is beautiful, I retired pretty early and planned on living here the rest of my life. Now I feel they can't be trusted. In 5 years, I'll probably drop $100K on rent. I can't afford the uncertainty of not knowing just how much they'll jack it up.

I lived in a rent stabilized apt. in Nassau and rent could only go up a certain %, which was great.

Never figured out why so many people hate Southern Meadows but their reputation when you look them up under google travel is MAJOR bad news. Much of it is clearly lies, but who knows.

A $200K condo with low taxes and common charges with $100K down will save me a fortune and now seems to be the time to do it.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterazur View Post

A $200K condo with low taxes and common charges with $100K down will save me a fortune and now seems to be the time to do it.
I'm a big proponent of ownership but keep in mind that maintenance fees have a tendency to increase - and they can't be grieved...

Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
When I moved into Southern Meadows 2.5 yrs ago, rent was $1300 for a terrific 1 BR plus $50 "rent" (which should be illegal) for pets.

It went up $13 the first year and a whopping $92 the second. I looked on their website and a nearly identical apt. to mine, same deluxe upgrade is going for $75 less than when I moved in. That's $175 less in rent than what I'm paying, if they don't have pets, it's $225 less.

What is wrong with this picture? Is this common?
The apt mgmt do give out deals to attract newcomers. It must be the same thing when you initially moved in. For you to move from this apartment to a new apartment within the same complex will cost you money too.
Is your renewal up soon ? Is going long term (2 yrs) possible ? I would say talk to the mgmt and let them know that you need rates comparable to newcomers.
Note: Some apartments rent for less even within the same complex. If its far from amenities/parking etc, and sometimes the mgmt will give these special prices only on certain units, not all available units. That could also be whats going on over there.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
My apt. is beautiful, I retired pretty early and planned on living here the rest of my life. Now I feel they can't be trusted. In 5 years, I'll probably drop $100K on rent. I can't afford the uncertainty of not knowing just how much they'll jack it up.

I lived in a rent stabilized apt. in Nassau and rent could only go up a certain %, which was great.

Never figured out why so many people hate Southern Meadows but their reputation when you look them up under google travel is MAJOR bad news. Much of it is clearly lies, but who knows.

If you are over 55 look into the places for seniors, especiallly the ones created by towns (like Town of Hempstead) rather than private builders. The maintenance is usually kept relatively low.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Your apartment may be beautiful, but so is mine and in two renewals, the rent went up a whopping total of $35, and that was just the first renewal. It didn't go up last time. Plus I have central A/C, a washer/dryer in the unit, and other amenities that are tough to find that I will save for a DM if you're interested, and I'm paying about what you are (or will be soon). Better yet, the company and the complex have an excellent reputation all around, and there is a terrific sense of community here. Can't wait to see what they do for the Super Bowl. There have been waiting lists in the past, not sure if there are right now. What kind of pet do you have? I have two birds and there is no pet rent here. They don't allow dogs, though, last I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island