Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM

65 posts, read 192,635 times

Advertisements

I signed up with Slomins during Thanksgiving weekend. I considered COD for oil but being a first time home owner, I was afraid if something goes wrong on the boiler I'll end up paying more. That was what happened during the Thanksgiving Day weekend. The burner went out. I know calling for a company to repair it will cost me as much as a service contract. Slomins had the best price at that time and I signed with them. Within two hours of signing, a guy came in and fixed the problem.

Two weeks ago the burner went out again. This time I called and it took them about 5 hours to get here. The guy fixed it and did a tune up at the same time. He told me if service calls were made after 12am, the person would have to wait until the morning for the guy working the morning shift.

The deliveries are on an automated schedule. I think it came earlier than the schedule date last time. You can also create an account on their website to see the next delivery schedule and the amount due on your bill. You can also pay and setup auto pay on their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 8,720 times
Default Never use slomins

Horrible service. Bought new system in 9/08 and was told to have serviced before winter every year. CAlled 9/11 for winter sdrvice and was told earliest appt was 1/28. Explained that we have STAGE 4 CANCER patient in home. 1/28 was still earliest date. Used another company who came next day when they heard our concern. After couple of deliveries realized Slomins price was high so we discontinued serivice.

I prepaid $400 remaining $1069 balance for original installation leaving $669 outstanding. Received threatening calls from company. They wanted $669 imediately. I offered to psy off remaining balance in four monthly increments and explained my service issues. The amount of the 4 payments was more than I had been required to pay. This call was the first acknowledgement of the cancellation.

When I explained that someone in the house had STAGE FOUR CANCER her exact words were "I don't see what that has to do with anything
PLEASE DO NOT USE COMPANY.

EVERYONE ELSE WE DEAL WITH HAS BEEN VERY KIND. TAKE YOUR BUSINESS TO ANYONE ELSE

Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
DO NOT DEAL WITH SLOMIN'S. I had a gas service contract and requested they end the renewal. I got an email back saying the renewal is canceled. Today, almost a month later, I got a threatening letter from the collections department saying I still owe them. Now I have a new distraction, a fight with Slomin's and various offices.

Slomin's is shady. Don't deal with them, keep walking.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
DO NOT DEAL WITH SLOMIN'S. I had a gas service contract and requested they end the renewal. I got an email back saying the renewal is canceled. Today, almost a month later, I got a threatening letter from the collections department saying I still owe them. Now I have a new distraction, a fight with Slomin's and various offices.

Slomin's is shady. Don't deal with them, keep walking.
Slomins is an oil company, why would you have a gas contract with an oil company.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:44 AM

176 posts, read 406,385 times
Oil price was good but service was poor. They do not truly have 24 hr service. Service contract is very limited. As soon as you sign up for the contract schedule your cleaning. They will we working months out on the calendar. On the other hand, I got a cheap oil and skated through the year without a failure. When they came back with a sky high renewal price I didnt fight to keep them......They made it a pain to cancel though...4 phone calls.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,271 times
Why lock in? Makes no sense....use COD fuel.

Be careful with Slomins. I was locked in for a year at $3.19. When my contract was up I did not renew and they decided to drop 50 gallons at $3.79 a gallon. Thank goodness I had a delivery from a COD company a week earlier. A full dollar over the going rate at the time. Tried filing a BBB complaint and they did nothing...never again!

Old 03-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Slomins is an oil company, why would you have a gas contract with an oil company.
Because they have them, and also home alarms.

I asked to cancel the contract, and got an email that it's done. When I tried to log into the site, my old login didn't work and I apparently don't have an account anymore. But they still want their $221.72 anyway.

I complained to a variety of NY State alphabet offices and the BBB. If it turns out I will have to pay up in the end, my gas burner will be a very faulty machine indeed. I expect it will need service every week. Maybe every few days. We have an unlimited contract, right?

Interesting that I can't file a complaint about them at Nassau County's website as I did everywhere else. I have to print a form and mail it with a stamp. Like with everything, Nassau is 20 years too late.

Last edited by manekeniko; 03-07-2015 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Nassau complaint.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 PM

172 posts, read 718,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
What are you concerned about? Their contract covers pretty much everything and anything that will fail.
Will Petro match Slomins number for oil and contract?
a service guy came from slomins and did a tune up for my oil burner last year. he told me the $109 service contract only covers certain thing and NOT everything. there is a higher priced service contract that will pretty much cover all parts and labor.

they have ok pricing but terrible service reps. i had cancelled my contract after the year and they still came and made a delivery. i had to go back and forth with them befor they lowered my PPG. sweet part was that they gave me and extra 150 off the price thinking they already charged me for the auto renewal of service contract. ended up paying about 2.70 per gal after all the calls and finally cancelled my contract.this was last Nov.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:32 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Because they have them, and also home alarms.

I asked to cancel the contract, and got an email that it's done. When I tried to log into the site, my old login didn't work and I apparently don't have an account anymore. But they still want their $221.72 anyway.

I complained to a variety of NY State alphabet offices and the BBB. If it turns out I will have to pay up in the end, my gas burner will be a very faulty machine indeed. I expect it will need service every week. Maybe every few days. We have an unlimited contract, right?

Interesting that I can't file a complaint about them at Nassau County's website as I did everywhere else. I have to print a form and mail it with a stamp. Like with everything, Nassau is 20 years too late.
Why would you keep paying? You have written proof it's cancelled. Don't worry about it.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Why would you keep paying? You have written proof it's cancelled. Don't worry about it.
They sent me a letter telling me the non-payment is going to the collections attorney. They then tell me the contract can't be canceled anymore and I still have to pay them.

I learned just now that auto-renewal contracts are considered a deceptive business practice in NY and not allowed, so basically they don't have a leg to stand on. Interesting how they auto-renewed my contract a full three months before the old contract ended and began the invoicing right away. They wanted to shove the renewal down my throat and be sure they get paid again.

I filed a complaint about them to the NY attorney general's office. Hopefully they'll look into this shady scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island