Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM

330 posts, read 726,275 times

Advertisements

Having recently purchased a house in Hempstead I'd like to hear some good things about it. If you have nothing good to say stay the hell out of the thread.

Some good things I've noticed:

Pizzatini - excellent pizza in walking distance from my house (plus my friends brother owns it, so that's cool)

Nice people - met a lady that welcomed me to the neighborhood (that hasn't happened anywhere else I've lived)

New stores near Hempstead Tnpk - (big Stop N Shop, Home Depot, Old Navy and more)

Lots of places to eat

Centrally located in Nassau County

So what else from Hempstead residents or people that like the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Having recently purchased a house in Hempstead I'd like to hear some good things about it. If you have nothing good to say stay the hell out of the thread.

Pizzatini - excellent pizza in walking distance from my house (plus my friends brother owns it, so that's cool)

Nice people - met a lady that welcomed me to the neighborhood (that hasn't happened anywhere else I've lived)

New stores near Hempstead Tnpk - (big Stop N Shop, Home Depot, Old Navy and more)

Lots of places to eat

That's what I really miss about Hempstead. I use to ride through and many women would welcome me....but most wanted 25-50 dollars

Ok, you know I'm joking.... bottom line if you like it that's all that really matters

Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,162 times
Quote:

Lots of places to eat

its nice to hear someone with something positive about this area.

People on here dont like this area. Hell, some wont even live in the areas surrounding Hempstead.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:

Lots of places to eat

Hempstead has some nice classic homes. I love the ones along the Southern State and Cathedral Gardens. I love that classic White Church between Front and Peninsula Blvd. The Oriental supermarket, some really great desserts in the bakery. I also love some of the new Spanish restaurants popping up in the village. There is a Columbian one that has really good steak. Anoher interesting thing is that all roads seem to lead to Hempstead. The place has so much potential, too bad it gets so much neglect.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
Yeah, it does have some shopping and eating gems (Liquidators, chinese, pizza, mexican), but the neighborhood is quite off-putting for most LI'ers I know.

1. Overwhelmingly black/hispanic (the preach-diversity-while-living-in-Cold-Spring-Harbor crowd won't admit to this).
2. The "gangsta" types along the turnpike
3. The grates in front of stores
4. Ghetto perception

And yet everyone I have met from Hempstead has been quite decent (better than average).

Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
A place where bars on windows is a common thing is a place I would not want to live.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
its nice to hear someone with something positive about this area.

People on here dont like this area. Hell, some wont even live in the areas surrounding Hempstead.

I agree.

Id actually like to hear a little more positive about the area.

If LI pulls its head out of its ass Hempstead or Riverhead could/should be our White Plains.

I think the Frankilin ave area by the Dealerships has cleaned up quite a bit over the years.
I think it would be awesome if it returned to form. If you dont think its possible see Patchogue.
Crooks

Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
It's not Somalia.
You can own a gun.

That's all I can think of.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
Crooks, yeah Franklin north of Hempstead Tnpk has quite a few businesses and some new restaurants. Henry St and Jerusalem also seems to be doing pretty good. There are some new stores popping up. I'm not sure how long it's been there but Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robins looks pretty new. Close to there is my friends brothers pizzeria, he's been opened about a year and business is great. He even won an award from the Village for helping out the neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Crooks, yeah Franklin north of Hempstead Tnpk has quite a few businesses and some new restaurants. Henry St and Jerusalem also seems to be doing pretty good. There are some new stores popping up. I'm not sure how long it's been there but Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robins looks pretty new. Close to there is my friends brothers pizzeria, he's been opened about a year and business is great. He even won an award from the Village for helping out the neighborhood.

Get involved @ the Village level.
Get on that Mayor.

Start with the slumlords and Section 8.
See what Pontieri did for Patchogue Village.

Hempstead is very much in control of its own destiny.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island