Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
When you file for a grievance is there any way for your taxes to go up?

You wouldn't file if you don't have the supporting data.
If comparables show your house is worth $500K and you're assessed at $480K, for instance, you wouldn't file...

But no, I'm not aware of any case where a grievance resulted in an increase in assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
The only possible negative I can see is the resultant loss of equity in your home if you were to go for a home equity loan and the bank uses assessor records as part of its valuation.
Appraisers use recent closed sales, not county/town assessments.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM

13 posts, read 43,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Apologies for my ignorance on this matter, but I'm being flooded with these tax grievance forms from various lawyers. Are there any negatives, or should I be attempting this every year? Thanks in advance.
You typicaly can file every other year. Many companies will charge a penalty if you file 2 years in a row or file with more than 1 company.
There really is no negative in filing the grievance. Most companies only charge if they are successful.

Last edited by corikaplan; 01-19-2011 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Each town has certain times and days of the year for filing a grievance,google your town board it should tell you there.I would think with home values going down there will be an increase in doing this.And Why Not!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You wouldn't file if you don't have the supporting data.
If comparables show your house is worth $500K and you're assessed at $480K, for instance, you wouldn't file...
I was going to ask this. Using comps it seems numbers are in the high 400 to low 500 range, which is what we were assessed at too for this year. Even if we purchased for low 400s, we can't prove something with comparable comps!

I suppose the only way to grieve successfully is when your property is somehow much higher than your neighbor's for whatever reason... ? Makes sense from a logical standpoint, but I don't really understand how that could happen...

Can we use recent sale prices or just other assessed values?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 AM

629 posts, read 962,046 times
A friend of mine filed a grievance and had his taxes go up a few years back. He's a distant friend, so besides taking his word for it, I don't have much more info, besides that he lives in Stewart Manor.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but could someone please explain the process for filing for a tax grievance. I just purchased a house last fall, and i wouldn't even know how to get started on the process.
While it depends somewhat on what town you live in, basically you file for a reduction on your taxes with the assessor. You fill out a bunch of forms, gather the data you will use to justify the grievance (comparable sales...that sort of thing) and pay a small fee (I think I paid $30).

Remember to file by the deadline (and also remember that you are filing for NEXT year).

If your reduction is zero or something very small, you can then take the matter to small claims court (another set of papers and small fee).

I would not want to get into greater detail here...because like I said...each town is a bit different. I live in Brookhaven and the process was lenghty but well worth it. My taxes were lowered by about 35% (I was way over assessed).

Best place to start is with the town assessor.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Appraisers use recent closed sales, not county/town assessments.
Appraisers may use closed sales but some banks bypass appraisers and rely on assessor records to save costs. This is especially true of out-of-state banks and credit unions.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Each town has certain times and days of the year for filing a grievance,google your town board it should tell you there.I would think with home values going down there will be an increase in doing this.And Why Not!
In Suffolk the filing deadline is May 17, 2011.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
A friend of mine filed a grievance and had his taxes go up a few years back. He's a distant friend, so besides taking his word for it, I don't have much more info, besides that he lives in Stewart Manor.
Nassau County reassesses every year so his taxes went up not because he filed a grievance but because the rate went up or his home increased in value relative to other homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island