Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
If you're worried about home defense, get a shotgun.
Yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Mr Bishop, my congressman, has come out in support of Carolyn McCarthy's bill to introduce legistlation that would provide a nationwide ban on high capacity magazines as a knee jerk reaction to the tragedy in Arizona. The preponderance of evidence that has been shown for decades, from a variety of sources, have shown that the vast majority of guns are used correctly, that homeowners will use guns in self defense an extraordinary number of times, and that limitations on gun rights has zero effect on crime rates.

I urge you to call the congressmans office and show your distaste for knee jerk legistlation, and say no to further limitations on gun rights. Or, ask if the congressman will ban high capacity vehicles next time there is an SUV or minivan accident.

Coram Office:
3680 Route 112, Suite C
Coram, NY 11727
(631) 696-6500
(631) 696-4520 (fax)

Southampton Office
137 Hampton Road
Southampton, NY 11968
(631) 259-8450
(631) 259-8451 (fax)

Washington Office:
306 Cannon H.O.B.
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-3826
(202) 225-3143 (fax)
Nobody is more of a 2nd amendment rights activist then me (that isn't a redneck nut), but why do we need high capacity clips and magazines? I understand the right to self defense and hunting, but I've never heard anyone try to substantiate high capacity magazines as a godsend in home protection or hunting. It's like a silencer, nobody would use it unless they have nefarious interests.

On another note, it's a tragedy what happened to the congresswoman and the people that were gunned down by that psycho maniac. But the OP is right, knee jerk legislature is not the answer. Somewhere, while I was writing this post, someone just killed a mother of three with a car. I don't see anyone running to pass legislature to make driving illegal, and driving isn't even a protected right.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM

324 posts, read 335,215 times
The intent of driving is to get from point A to point B. The intent of a gun is to kill. People stop comparing cars to guns!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
People seem better at killing others accidentally with cars then intentionally with guns. Go figure.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Nobody is more of a 2nd amendment rights activist then me (that isn't a redneck nut), but why do we need high capacity clips and magazines? I understand the right to self defense and hunting, but I've never heard anyone try to substantiate high capacity magazines as a godsend in home protection or hunting. It's like a silencer, nobody would use it unless they have nefarious interests.

On another note, it's a tragedy what happened to the congresswoman and the people that were gunned down by that psycho maniac. But the OP is right, knee jerk legislature is not the answer. Somewhere, while I was writing this post, someone just killed a mother of three with a car. I don't see anyone running to pass legislature to make driving illegal, and driving isn't even a protected right.
The van thing to gun comparison is just plain silly because the point of a van isn't too kill.

As a side note I really won't consider this a knee jerk reaction. The high capacity clips were partially banned previously under the assault weapons ban that was passed under Clinton in 1994. At that time new high capacity clips were made illegal, but the older high magazine clips were still legal. However, that provision expired in 2004 and was not renewed by the Bush administration. McCarthy has been working on something similar ever since.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 PM

188 posts, read 416,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
The intent of driving is to get from point A to point B. The intent of a gun is to kill. People stop comparing cars to guns!
That simply is not true. The intent on having a gun is to protect yourself and to level the playing field. Has nothing to do with killing.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
It was also written as One Nation Under God.

We lost our moral compass years ago

My guess would be sometime around the invention of the Corporation.

I digress.

Crooks
Typical Lib, blame on big business. Blah.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
Typical Con, blame on the assault on personal freedom. Blah.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Typical Con, blame on the assault on personal freedom. Blah.
Wow, you put some originality in that statement didn't you? That's what I'd expect from someone like you who watches MSNBC and believe Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
Here you go Rush.

Ill let Michael Moore dumb it down for the Fox news peeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPBHtjZmSpw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island