Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I grew up on LI until 1993, when I moved to Florida. I've been back to visit a few times through the years. Amazing how things have changed. I was lucky enough to grow up during the golden age of video games and arcades (late 70's-80's), and have a lot of fond memories from that era:
Huntington: Probably the best arcade in town was at Century Lanes bowling alley on Wall St across from Century Shore theaters. Dozens of games. Tempest, Space Duel, Zaxxon, and just every other major game could be found. There were obscure games like Kick and Subroc 3-D. Spent many quarters there.
Mini-arcades popped up all over Huntington Vilage. Just about every bookstore, record shop, and pizzeria had a few. I recall a video store on Main St with a dark room in the back with about a dozen cabinets. Occasionally you could find bootleg games like Crazy Kong. I use to plan a route walking through the village to play my favorites.
Other significant arcades across the island:
Adventureland- still standing, I believe, but changed greatly. An awsome arcade back in the day. I recall Hercules, the world's biggest pinball machine. Also Red Baron, Night Driver, and a rare Safe Cracker game where you had to break into an actual replica safe before the time ran out.
Chuck E Cheese/Nathans on Jericho Turnpike in Commack- Top-notch arcade in terms of quality and quantity. At least 100 games, including almost every laserdisc game from the 80's. Dragon's Lair, Cliff Hanger, Aston Belt were there. They also had a long row of pinball games. On my last visit in 2005, I saw it had turned into Sushi Park japanese buffet (great food, btw).
I've just scratched the surface of what I remember. Hopefully, I've jogged a few good memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Before Chuck E Cheese in Commack there was the Modell's that had tons of arcade games at both entrances. There was also the Atari demo machine in Sears mall that was always packed with kids. I remember spaceplex too.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
I grew up in Coram, and for us it was the Nathan's on the corner of Middle Country Rd and Rte 112. We would go with 10-20 dollars and play for hours...back when games were just 25 cents.

I spent hours playing Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, Tron, PacMan, Track and Field, Galaga, Galaxia, Ms. Pacman, etc...

Those were the good old days.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
I grew up in Coram, and for us it was the Nathan's on the corner of Middle Country Rd and Rte 112. We would go with 10-20 dollars and play for hours...back when games were just 25 cents.

I spent hours playing Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, Tron, PacMan, Track and Field, Galaga, Galaxia, Ms. Pacman, etc...

Those were the good old days.
Nathans 112 was the bomb.

Time out in the mall too.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Nathans on the corner of 112 and MCR, Time Out in the mall, later on the modells shopping center (centereach), and spaceplex(smithtown).

Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Smithaven mall had a pretty decent arcade. My favorite was probably Outrun and Mickey Thompsons Off Road.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Used to love Penny Lane in Lynbrook, as well as Captain Video, which was closer to the village. Lights would be out, music blasting, and the chomp, blasts and pings of the latest games all around. I downloaded MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) on the net and replayed some of those favorites (Defender, Asteroids, etc), as well as games that I had enjoyed and TOTALLY FORGOT about (Making Trax, Star Castle). Those were the days!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 AM

78 posts, read 252,799 times
Spent many afternoons at the Oceanside Nathans and at the WH bowling alley-the underground one near the train station. Loved Defender, Asteroids, Space Invaders and good old pinball.
Anyone remember Hot Dog Playland in WHempstead (or was it Franklin Square)?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM

338 posts, read 777,531 times
time out and galaxy arcades, in the sunrise mall. also, the ghetto arcade in the busy bee flea market.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
The Gardiner Manor Mall in Bay Shore was my personal favorite. Not because it was the most packed or had the most games, but because the mall was almost entirely vacant except for an arcade full of kids. That, and Sterns across the skyway had a Godiva chocolate and candy station that would give you a half a Godiva truffle and you could get some gummy bears for very cheap, then run to the 3rd floor and play Sega Genesis upstairs while my mom shopped for hours. Good times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island