Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM

127 posts, read 747,832 times

Advertisements

Maybe I just missed it, but I don't see a single post complaining about the huge building boom of red light cameras on LI, specifically on rt. 347 in Suffolk. Personally, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket or another infraction since I was 17, but every time I see one of these eyes in sky it gives me a bad feeling in my stomach. Honestly, I find myself altering my route to avoid them. I feel like even the most cautious drive will someday slip up and then SLAM you get nailed. I just feel like having cameras on every corner adds an additional level of oversight to life which is already regulated in every conceivable way. Perhaps it's just me, but I hate seeing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I am waiting for a ticket. On Jericho in Centereach, there are plenty of cameras. I was driving and came to a green light. The traffic in front of me was backed up and there was a car coming against me trying to turn into a store. I let her in, the light changed, I moved thru the intersection and of course saw a flash. i guess I got caught going thru the light.

I do resent them ; it really is big brother is watching you and trying to raise money.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Strong Island getting stronger.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 PM

69 posts, read 241,287 times
I really don't know what argument can be made against them, though. I saw a group of people protesting the first one in Suffolk on Ocean Ave and the LIE Service Rd in Ronkonkoma and if I had time I would have asked them what grounds they were protesting on. I don't like them either but it's not like there's an argument to be made against them.

Also, and someone will correct me if I"m wrong, but I'm pretty sure the footage is reviewed to determine if you really did run a light or not. I've been flashed on twice at the above intersection because I pulled up to make a right on red (I stopped, but it was passed the line). I didn't get a ticket either time. OkayDorothy, when did that happen? If you were already in the intersection when it changed you probably won't get a ticket. The tickets come with a link to a video and if you clearly had no choice then if you do get one (I don't think you will), you can likely argue it.

EDIT: I looked at the FAQ's on the suffouk website: "Will I get a citiation if I'm already in the intersection when the light turns red"
Quote:
No. But remember, a yellow light before red is a warning for the driver to slow down and prepare to stop. Entering or being in an intersection anytime on a red signal is dangerous. Citations are only issued when a vehicle enters the intersection AFTER the light has turned red.
I also don't think it's just a revenue machine and that's it--if that was the case the county wouldn't be telling you where they all are. They WANT you to be aware so you DON'T drive through red lights and cause accidents.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM

63 posts, read 164,008 times
I got one at the Johnson Ave, east bound Sunrise SR

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
Our friendly county government has teamed up with a friendly corporation to make us safer. Remember when Mussolini expressed his support of cementing the relationship between government and corporations? Those were the days...

Send payment by mail to:

Nassau County, NY
Red Light Camera Division
PO Box 742503
Cincinnati, OH 45274-2503.

Funny, lots of other municipalities send their payments to the same address , except it has their city name instead of Nassau County.

Wouldn't it be terrible if people disabled the cameras?

From Nassau County website:

Quote:
Aren’t cameras an invasion of privacy, Big Brother watching citizens of Nassau County?

Actually, no. Photos are taken only of vehicles breaking the law on public roads (not drivers). Motorists can avoid photo enforcement by not breaking the law. There already are cameras in nearly every retail store and bank and already in use on roadways for ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems) traffic management.
That's a silly question. How could they be an invasion of privacy when you haven't had privacy in years?

Last edited by daveoliva; 01-24-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM

32 posts, read 90,038 times
I was suppose to get one because I made an illegal right turn and i saw the camera flashed but i guess they missed my tags while I was turning because I never got a ticket in the mail.

It's really dumb because if you're trying to run through a yellow light and it just turns red right when you're in the middle of the intersection you will still get a ticket. THAT'S NOT FAIR!

So basicly they're trying to tell us that we shudn't go through a yellow?

I think that's just another way of ripping people off. THEY'RE USING OUR OWN TAX MONEY TO BUY THOSE ELECTRONICS STICK EM' AT EVERY CORNERS AND MAKE US PAY AGAIN WHEN WE GET CAUGHT.

My poor grandpa got one in the mail twice.

I was in Washington state last summer and they're doing the same thing as well. Florida...Same thing. It's like an epidemic.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
LI needs the cams to close budget gaps and pay the bills. They even put one on Sunrise hwy by the Mall, which I thought Sunrise was owned/maintained by NYS ? I wonder who gets the revenue on that cam.

Hopefully there will be an app for that out soon.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiermx View Post
I was suppose to get one because I made an illegal right turn and i saw the camera flashed but i guess they missed my tags while I was turning because I never got a ticket in the mail.

It's really dumb because if you're trying to run through a yellow light and it just turns red right when you're in the middle of the intersection you will still get a ticket. THAT'S NOT FAIR!

So basicly they're trying to tell us that we shudn't go through a yellow?

I think that's just another way of ripping people off. THEY'RE USING OUR OWN TAX MONEY TO BUY THOSE ELECTRONICS STICK EM' AT EVERY CORNERS AND MAKE US PAY AGAIN WHEN WE GET CAUGHT.

My poor grandpa got one in the mail twice.

I was in Washington state last summer and they're doing the same thing as well. Florida...Same thing. It's like an epidemic.
The bold part is false. If the light turns red before you enter the intersection, you will get a ticket. However, if it turns red while you are in the intersection you won't get a ticket.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 PM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
Our friendly county government has teamed up with a friendly corporation to make us safer. Remember when Mussolini expressed his support of cementing the relationship between government and corporations? Those were the days...

Send payment by mail to:

Nassau County, NY
Red Light Camera Division
PO Box 742503
Cincinnati, OH 45274-2503.

Funny, lots of other municipalities send their payments to the same address , except it has their city name instead of Nassau County.

Wouldn't it be terrible if people disabled the cameras?

From Nassau County website:

Quote:
Aren’t cameras an invasion of privacy, Big Brother watching citizens of Nassau County?

Actually, no. Photos are taken only of vehicles breaking the law on public roads (not drivers). Motorists can avoid photo enforcement by not breaking the law. There already are cameras in nearly every retail store and bank and already in use on roadways for ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems) traffic management.
That's a silly question. How could they be an invasion of privacy when you haven't had privacy in years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island