Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,881 times

Advertisements

The red light cameras are awesome and LONG overdue. For so many years, many, many, arseholes gun it at the yellow signal & try to get thru. Great thing about these cameras is that the nimrods who care about nobody but themselves may actually engage the cranium and actually stop when the signal turns yellow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
theyre not easy. although regulated by an outside company, these cameras are checked by official policeman.

I know cops that have gotten red light tickets and they pay them because they are almost impossible to beat. just pay them.
For those out there that are Ignorant of what your rights are and don't want to know then YES! just pay the crooks. Thanks for the statement and acknowledgment that the camera's are in fact regulated by an outside company, not a law enforcement agency, thats what I have found to be in all 50 states to be an illegal action and I am surprised that a person in the business for over 30 years has not come across this fact of law . I will say one final time .Fact of law ! only law enforcement officials can Enforce rules, regulations and laws of the state. An official policeman may check a photo but if thats true then I or any one can take a picture or even better a video of someone going threw a red light and give it to a cop and they will cite them. I think not. Why because I was not injured and I am not a law enforcement official neither is the person or company. Thats why so m,any Cities are getting rid of the cameras, they were miss led by the cameras company's. End of story.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,812 times
actually stop when the signal turns yellow.

You can cause an accident that way. As long as you are in the intersection when the yellow turns to red, you are within the law. If you are going 20 mph and are 5 feet from the start of the intersection when the light turns yellow, you Can't stop. Between reaction time and stopping time, when you do come to rest you might be through or in the middle of the intersection. I have driven one million miles...look up the red light timing problem....there are go-zones and no-go-zones and it is all quite interesting.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Actually, meter maids are not peace officers. They are civilians empowered to write parking tickets. They have no powers of arrest. That's what defines peace officers, police officers, and others who enforce laws.
I didn't think anyone called them 'meter maids' anymore, since many are male. They are "Traffic Enforcement Agents" and although they can write Parking Summons, they have no Police power.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 804 times
Who runs this parasitic operation in Suffolk County?

They have a P.O. Box in Baltimore but exercise judicial authority here. I plead not guilty but they denied me a hearing. Perhaps with some justification they seem rather shy.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
curious how one can be not guilty if provided video evidence... or was there no video?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lyons View Post
Who runs this parasitic operation in Suffolk County?

They have a P.O. Box in Baltimore but exercise judicial authority here. I plead not guilty but they denied me a hearing. Perhaps with some justification they seem rather shy.

It looks like Xerox has the contract with Suffolk County. However, the tickets _should_ go through Suffolk Traffic Court (not sure, since I haven't been ticketed yet). I know some other places have the contractor issue the "ticket" and if there is no response a civil judgement is entered at the courthouse. At that point, the court pursues the ticket recipient. I didn't think it could be done like that in NY, but am not sure.

Interesting video on the topic (Suffolk County Meeting):

https://youtu.be/VIToBunzaJs

Apparently there is a quota of 25 tickets per day that must be issued for each camera. For each camera that underperforms, Suffolk must pay Xerox over $2100 (per camera) each month. That's in addition to the $17+ commission Xerox gets on each ticket.

I wonder how much money passed under the table to get this contract through?

Last edited by Joe461; 01-24-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 AM

258 posts, read 456,981 times
There was that one guy that turned the camera around, and another that cut one down. It seems that people are getting tired of this crap. If you look at a map of the region's red light cameras, the vast majority of them are concentrated on Long Island, though it looks like they're in the city too (although if they are, I haven't seen them go off there).

Remember when they had speed cameras up, too? It's downright embarrassing.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
There was that one guy that turned the camera around, and another that cut one down. It seems that people are getting tired of this crap. If you look at a map of the region's red light cameras, the vast majority of them are concentrated on Long Island, though it looks like they're in the city too (although if they are, I haven't seen them go off there).

Remember when they had speed cameras up, too? It's downright embarrassing.
Take a step back - we need it for revenue generation or they'd be taxing more. That's the biggest issue of all - the need for more revenue in NY because of... paying for certain groups of peoples' salaries & benefits.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:43 PM

258 posts, read 456,981 times
Revenue generation? So lower the salary for cops from its current level to something that's more reaps able. Cops here make six figures. No way in hell do they deserve being paid more than city cops. The newly indicted police chief is getting almost $500,000 for unused vacation despite awaiting federal trial. Property taxes for even a small piece of Moderator cut: language removed are approaching five figures. Yet the counties and towns need more money, so I have to pay a $50 fine plus a $30 BS surcharge for making a right on red WHEN NOBODY'S COMING or not wanting to come to a full stop at a yellow light?

I'm sorry, but these cameras are downright extortion.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-27-2016 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island